Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2012 ~ Tuuli & Remo

Maxie4Paws

Re: Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2012 ~ Tuuli & Remo

Post by Maxie4Paws »

kitcatldy wrote:Thank YOU everyone for posting videos of what you hear and see on the nest, it does us all good here to see what is happening on Stephi's nest. I'm from the US and miss some during the night. I miss her so much and had a good cry last night again. Yes, those were eagle calls and just maybe we will have the parents back soon! If not, that's okay too, at least we heard them calling.

Crystal
HI.
i too cried last night for her. she got my heart in july. if you are on facebook there is a page for her. its Stephi Memories and more.
she was just so pretty and loved by somany..
Bea

Post by Bea »

Cam is not streaming and the last pontu pic is from 19:02 ..... :cry:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Susie

Post by Susie »

Brzoskwiniowa wrote: Something for you to warm hearts and have a little fun on the sad days :)
Movie of our two wonderful rogues, that have just left home :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWLv7GR ... ture=share. . .
There are two eaglets fledged? Isn't that extremely unusual? At least I've never heard something like that! :puzzled:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Susie, those are white tailed eagles, (Seeadler), not lesser spotted eagles (Schreiadler). They don't have obligatory cainism!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Felis, I just looked the Forum-page.
I thought they are LSE, too.
Sorry . . . First thinking than asking! :blush:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Never mind, we try to watch the WTE too, but the last two years they preferred not to use their old nest. But in winter we have seen many of them at the winter feeding ground! The LSE leave Estonia for winter.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

chicktrick

Post by chicktrick »

I have lit a candle, thanks for that idea.
I miss Stephi still and am so very sad about her death.
I hope the Tuuli and Remo do not nest here again, but find a place with more protection and better food supply so they do not need to be away so much. I wish them many happy and successful years of raising chicks as beautiful as Stephi who fledge and fly free.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Felis silvestris wrote:Susie, those are white tailed eagles, (Seeadler), not lesser spotted eagles (Schreiadler). They don't have obligatory cainism!
Hi Felis :wave:

I received my book, The Eagle Watchers: Observing and Conserving Raptors Around the World and read most of the chapter on LSEs, quickly, the other night. In the book, the ornithologist who studied the LSEs and a few other ornithologists got together and decided to try and save the 2nd eaglet in nests with more than one. They took them from the nests, raised them until the age where they would be about ready to fledge, then placed them back in the nest. A miracle happened!! The older siblings did not attack or kill them and both chicks fledged successfully! These were in Germany and Slovakia but still LSEs! I wish this could be done all over and that there were funds to do it, as these are endangered.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

:wave: Chimega - that is a good book, I also have read it.

Perhaps it is not for us (humankind) to interfere with evolution (Mother Nature) but to accept and learn.

PS. Of course, there are the studies where the second chick was removed and raised ..have you read those links that Felis provided?
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

NancyM wrote::wave: Chimega - that is a good book, I also have read it.

Perhaps it is not for us (humankind) to interfere with evolution (Mother Nature) but to accept and learn.

PS. Of course, there are the studies where the second chick was removed and raised ..have you read those links that Felis provided?
Hi NancyM :wave:

It seems to me that if mankind doesn't "interfere" with the life of LSEs, there may be no LSEs soon! This species is now endangered and probably mostly due to mankind. Newly fledged birds being shot by stupid people while they are in migration is not a good thing and only reduces the number, even more.

No, I guess I missed the links that Felis posted. Are they in this thread or somewhere else? I am interested in reading them. :wave:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Chimega, the LSE seem to have a "protocol" that is not going to help them in the long run - I have read several articles in which scientists wonder about the evolutionary advantage of not rearing the second chick - it does not seem to make much sense, at this point.

Felis has provided an extensive database about LSE: "The Aquila pomarina Collection" viewforum.php?f=53 See, for example, this post: viewtopic.php?p=133597#p133597 , but also others in that topic.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

NancyM wrote:Chimega, the LSE seem to have a "protocol" that is not going to help them in the long run - I have read several articles in which scientists wonder about the evolutionary advantage of not rearing the second chick - it does not seem to make much sense, at this point.

Felis has provided an extensive database about LSE: "The Aquila pomarina Collection" viewforum.php?f=53 See, for example, this post: viewtopic.php?p=133597#p133597 , but also others in that topic.
Hi NancyM :wave:

I am sure when the LSE were first on this earth, mankind did not kill them senselessly for fun, though. There must have been an equal balance of them in order for nature to take it's course on the younger siblings. Man has changed that.

Thank you very much for the link! :thumbs: I will most certainly read all that there is. :2thumbsup:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Nancy is right, I have taken together a lot of information on those eagles (I also fell in love with them last year and when something gets my interest I usually do look for more information).
For compiling those things I have been also in touch with several people researching them and also with someone from Deutsche Wildtierstiftung, which was or is on the German end of the Latvina/German study to raise the "Abel" chicks. I had sent him a question on it recently because the topic came up in the Miks thread and received an answer as well. I did not post it all over as it also holds some sad facts about the young eagles and right after Stephi I tried not to make it worse. You find a rough translation of parts of the email I received here: viewtopic.php?p=163413#p163413

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Felis silvestris wrote:Nancy is right, I have taken together a lot of information on those eagles (I also fell in love with them last year and when something gets my interest I usually do look for more information).
For compiling those things I have been also in touch with several people researching them and also with someone from Deutsche Wildtierstiftung, which was or is on the German end of the Latvina/German study to raise the "Abel" chicks. I had sent him a question on it recently because the topic came up in the Miks thread and received an answer as well. I did not post it all over as it also holds some sad facts about the young eagles and right after Stephi I tried not to make it worse. You find a rough translation of parts of the email I received here: viewtopic.php?p=163413#p163413
Hi Felis, Thank you so much for your information and all that you do, here. I did actually read that a day or so ago but I just re-read it in case I had missed something.

I understand that taking the 2nd eaglet from the nest is not the best solution, however, at least it is some solution to their rapid decline in numbers. If only these people who kill them or shoot them for recreational purposes or just for fun could be made to realize that they are helping to eradicate one of the most beautiful eagle species on this earth, maybe they would stand a chance. At this point, I just don't see that happening unless someone can get to the people who do it and give them the information about how what they do is going to make them extinct one day.
Yoko

Post by Yoko »

:hi:
12 august 2012,
candles for Stephi : 52 candles and 16 countries.
Good day !
Yoko
fraszka

Post by fraszka »

@Chimega:
I received my book, The Eagle Watchers: Observing and Conserving Raptors Around the World and read most of the chapter on LSEs, quickly, the other night. In the book, the ornithologist who studied the LSEs and a few other ornithologists got together and decided to try and save the 2nd eaglet in nests with more than one. They took them from the nests, raised them until the age where they would be about ready to fledge, then placed them back in the nest. A miracle happened!! The older siblings did not attack or kill them and both chicks fledged successfully! These were in Germany and Slovakia but still LSEs! I wish this could be done all over and that there were funds to do it, as these are endangered.[/quote]

I've read somewhere (unfortunately I can't recall the title right now) that in raptor (like LSEs and WTEs) chicks the "killer instinct" gradually weakens at around 3rd week of their lives and then vanishes completely.
The crane chicks undergo similar "character changes" :laugh:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Remo brought new tweegs and is now working the nest!!! :loveshower:
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Bea

Post by Bea »

The cam had not been streaming whole morning - but right now I tried again and someone was on the nest - it could have been Tuuli, but I got only a very bad pic :unsure:

edit: she is back!

Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
asteria

Post by asteria »

So it is Tuuli, not Remo?
Fresh fur tree branch mean that the goshawk got a message like
"Dare you dare you double dare you"
and she is not afraid of him.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Starling

Post by Starling »

:loveshower:

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”