Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2012 ~ Tuuli & Remo

Starling

Re: Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2012 ~ Tuuli & Remo

Post by Starling »

Urmas wrote:Thanks for understanding my message about Stephi!
But I'm nor sure if that breathing problem is somehow caused by ringing event, it was possible to hear also before ringing (and some observers paid attention).
Let's wait for Dr. Madis opinion.
The ringing went nicely and smoothly, as we all witnessed it. :nod: And you all are doing such a great job with these birds. :bow: And ringing is important so we can learn more about these marvellous birds. It just feels like there is some dark cloud following us now (too much trouble in the web nests). :banghead: But that´s how nature is, I guess. We can´t control everything.
ame

Post by ame »

Stephi is not making that strange breathing sound all the time. the sound of a bagpipe out of tune comes only when she/he is breathing heavily, from the bottom of the lungs. for example when Stephi begins to chirp the honking bagpipe-sound stops. :puzzled:

some preening etc..

i definately agree with Urmas: one should not interfere with these birds any more. it's always best for the chicks in parents care. (it was a bit different for Lenny because it seemed to hurt its beak during a human interference... and it was pested by all kinds of paracite even though it looked well besides the broken beak. :shock: )

someone wrote here some time ago about the survival rate of LSE- fledglings but i could not find it anymore. was it so that only one out five survived till next summer? out of second chicks none survive longer than few weeks... out of WTEs about one out of two survives. it is a hard life for these birds out there, but it makes sure that the strongest and healthiest survive. of course good luck is also required...

- right now Stephi has tucked her/his head under the wing and is breathing heavily but the honking isn't heard.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

The strange noise (stridor) was there already last weekend, because it kind of sounds like snoring. I remember somebody remarking about it. I don't think it has got to do with ringing! It was quite wet, unlike last year, when it rained almost only during breeding the eggs. It must be quite damp there!
But I am a bit at peace seeing Stephi eating and sleeping and interacting with Tuuli (and it's nice she is staying in the nest today, for whatever reason - but then, I also do believe if she with her animal instincts would find that her chick is doomed, she might abandon the nest)

Let's all hope for the best and nature heal!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
asteria

Post by asteria »

In my opinion the reason of Stephi's hard breathing was not ringing but Tuuli's long absense. Stephi got wet and cold and there was no Mom to warm her up, that is why she might fell ill. Metra and Eha spend in their nests more time than Tuuli.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Starling

Post by Starling »

Tuuli just fed her. :)
Manu

Post by Manu »

13:13h Feeding
ame

Post by ame »

after feeding Tuuli took off at 13.17.

13.22 Tuuli is back ...
and gone again. my VLC is jamming a bit... :banghead:

and Tuuli is back with a stick at 13.24.
ame

Post by ame »

earlier Stephi was sleeping and breathing heavily but without making that honking sound. the mouse was on the front-right corner of the nest.

then suddenly Tuuli and Stephi seemed to get the idea of feeding and eating at the same time! they had a little arguement who will get the mouse! :D
edit: now i see that Manu has got the feeding video up there already so i'll take mine away... :wave:
Starling

Post by Starling »

Tuuli has been there present almost all day. I guess she knows her baby´s not well.

Mom´s love and shelter is the best care for her now. <3
Manu

Post by Manu »

Remo arrives with food

Sorry for this "jumping" video, but my connection isn't good today :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

Stephi took the mouse (or vole) that Remo brought and tried to swallow it as a whole right away but couldn't. she/he had to try really hard to get it down in one piece still long after Remo had gone. finally Stephi managed to get it down. at least it has good appetite. :thumbs:

Tuuli began to call and then she took off but she didn't go far. she is still calling somewhere rather close to the nest. Stephi's breathing sounds like squeaky door hinges now...

now Tuuli returned with a fresh spruce twig.
lasgo

Post by lasgo »

is it healthful that so small chick swallows that mouse in one peace :unsure: :puzzled:
lasgo

Post by lasgo »

*piece
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

lasgo wrote:*piece
:bow: :D
lasgo

Post by lasgo »

:blush: :bow:
beatleshannon

Post by beatleshannon »

Praying for Stephi today! :dunno:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

On June 28 Stephi was alone for a long time in the rain. On June 30, Kitty and myself was observing the snoring sound for the first time. Kitty has a video of it.
Is it too soon after the "rain episode", or may it be the reason for her illness?

17:04 - Stephi is lying in the sun, close to the nest edge. She is breaths heavy, and the snore sound is on and off. I hope it is a good thing that she is eating, and is not passive??
An Oriole is singing nearby, and it is some wind.

17:12 - She is sitting up, I can see her breath, but not hear.

17:25 - A good stretch..

ame

Post by ame »

so it was an oriole! i mistook it for a rosefinch (though i thought this is a wrong king of forest for a rosefinch! :slap: )

a parent visited the nest at 17.05 and at the same time my VLC jammed so i don't know how long the parent was there. i was also unable to see whether there was a food delivery...
edit: there seems to be something in the claws of the parent arriving. (why else would it have dropped by! :D )

there snoring squeaky sound in breathing is back...

Lussi :hi:
i think it is definately a good thing that Stephi is not passive and eats with great appetite! :nod:
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

Starling wrote: Welcome. :wave: I´m quite new here too.
I´m pretty sure if help is really needed at some point and something can be done they will go there. :innocent:

thanku for writing to me. I do understand that if they take her out that the parents may'nt come back,but if she is sick,is that the best think to make sure she is ok? :wave:
Starling

Post by Starling »

Maxie4Paws wrote:
thanku for writing to me. I do understand that if they take her out that the parents may'nt come back,but if she is sick,is that the best think to make sure she is ok? :wave:
At this point I think nobody is going there. We don´t know what causes Stephi´s breathing problems and is there even treatment or medication for it. We just have to hope the best! :2thumbsup: But those who could go there are now informed about the situation, which is important. :nod:

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”