Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2012 ~ Tuuli & Remo

fraszka

Re: Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2012 ~ Tuuli & Remo

Post by fraszka »

Thank you, Homedi, for the video and the picture of Stephi.
That was great to see Tuuli and Remo working on their nest before the journey. :D
I hope they'll arrive in Africa safely, then they'll come back next spring and their family will be more lucky than this year.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I expect members have noticed that the number of "nested quotes" per post has been reduced to one. We did this for the sake of better forum management. Here is what I posted on the Osprey topic -

Sorry about the"Quote" difficulty.

The number of nested quotes in a post has been reduced to one, for a reason.

The webcam discussions are being filled with quotes and more quotes and pictures included too, which makes it such hard work for the scientific, ornithological observers to collect necessary information from our posts.
I want to ask members, please, when you quote a post which has pictures in it, please remove the [img] part of the post. If that is difficult to understand, I will do a screenshot to explain.

Thanks for your help with this.

Next webcam season there will be two topics per nest camera. One for observations only and another general discussion topic about what has been seen.
We will remind members at that time.

This forum is read by many different people around the world - mostly, we want to assist Eagle Club members in gathering information about the nest life of the birds we see, but also there are biologist, ornithologists and researchers who come here to gather information. An important function of this forum is to gather tha information, so your posts are important for that reason.
Homedi

Post by Homedi »

Jo UK wrote:...please, when you quote a post which has pictures in it, please remove the [img] part of the post. If that is difficult to understand, I will do a screenshot to explain....
A very good idea, because if we have several quotes for one post with some pics, we would have two or more sides only to see the same pics in all quotes...

So better to delete the img-part in quotes.
Have a nice evening
Horst
Pics, videos and live-cams at http://www.TheHomedi.de
Migration-map:
http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/index.php?lang=EN
Bea

Post by Bea »

@Jo

Limited quoting is a very good idea :thumbs:
I for myself stopped reading Osprey forum continuously because didn´t want to handle this any more.

Also think if it is necessary to have a signature of 10 lines, empty lines not included .... :puzzled:
Unfortunately used by "high frequence - posters" ;)

Only my five cents ....

Tuuli and Remo:
Watching Homedis´ video, I am again fascinated about their behaviour - the bowing to each other :loveshower:
And I wonder how they spend their time since they left the nest - are they hunting in the same grounds?
Did they make a kind of appointment when they come to the nest again? Or does one wait for the other to come back to do up the nest for next year?
Watching Piret with her transmitter I wished Tuuli and Remo had a transmitter, too .... :D
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Bea, thanks for the observation about signatures.
We will look into that when there is time - soon!
wildflowers

Post by wildflowers »

JO UK:
What is the "img"? Will photos and videos still be allowed in the new rules on posting?
maroni

Post by maroni »

wildflowers wrote:JO UK:
What is the "img"? Will photos and videos still be allowed in the new rules on posting?
It is allowed.
But, when we quote, we should delete the img-urls:

against stimulus satiation :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

August 23rd, good morning! :hi:
the live camera is off but the Pontu camera has been working since 8.27. there's nothing special to see though...
http://pontu.eenet.ee/tooni/2012-08-23/ ... -08-27.jpg

ooops: 9.29 - 9.47 pictures are missing. (i'm scanning them at 10-minute intervals...)
again 10.55 is missing... of course it's not there: it wasn't 10.55 yet! :slap: silly me... :rotf:

it seems to be a day of varying cloudiness: some pictures have bright sunshine but most are cloudy. not very hard wind because the nettle in the front doesn't move much.

Jo :hi:
i agree that it's good idea to limit the number of quotes and to eliminate the imagecodes from the quotes (unless of course the picture is the essential in the post, i mean if the picture is commented in the post). however i guess that not everybody quite knows that editing quotes is possible (or how to do it). i remember i had a looong thought before i decided that i'm allowed to edit someone else's writings by leaving some text or other elements out of the quote. it's good to point out that it is possible and allowed, even recommendable in some cases. :nod:

and some signatures have expanded quite large... it is a good idea to limit their sizes, too, i think.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

wildflowers wrote:JO UK:
:hi: Wildflowers.

Maroni has posted a screen shot of how to do it - many thanks, Maroni. I didn't have time to do that yesterday.

Of course we can still post pictures and videos. What we want to stop is the constant repetition of the same pictures when the post is quoted. It takes up so much space while not giving new information.
This is a forum which has always needed lots of pictures and videos - we depend on them a lot to describe what is happening on a nest. But when the same pictures are repeated contantly, by being included in quotes, there is unnecessary duplication of something which has already been recorded.
Now that the forum is growing in size, we must begin to show some restraint!
ame

Post by ame »

it has begun to rain hard: big drops are knocking on the camera and hitting the nettles so that they are shaking. there seems to be no wind though, but the pouring rain is making a lot of noise in the forest.
Bea

Post by Bea »

I always wonder about the plants on the rear side of the nest .... they are no nettles - a kind of fern? :puzzled:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Homedi

Post by Homedi »

Jo UK wrote: :hi: Wildflowers.

Maroni has posted a screen shot of how to do it - many thanks, Maroni...
One little mistake happen with these screenshots and the description:
Maroni also deleted the "/quote" at the end of the "quote"
Then he will get the wrong arrangement of the quote and the answer...

Delete all beginning with "img" and ended with "/img"
but never delete "quote" or "/quote"
I think Maroni does know it, only made this little mistake...
Horst
Pics, videos and live-cams at http://www.TheHomedi.de
Migration-map:
http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/index.php?lang=EN
ame

Post by ame »

Bea wrote:I always wonder about the plants on the rear side of the nest .... they are no nettles - a kind of fern? :puzzled:
i've been wondering about the same question... :puzzled:
i don't think it's any fern though... to me it reminds of cow parsley or some other plant in the Apiaceae family (it seems to be called carrot or parsley family; Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apiaceae). they usually make flowers in the second year and this is a first-year seedling. maybe we'll see better next spring. :rolleyes:
- there's a baby nettle in the rear right corner.
wildflowers

Post by wildflowers »

Has anyone seen Remo or Tuuli since a few days ago when they cleaned and rearranged their nest? Is it probable that they are gone until next year? I will miss getting a glimpse of them every now and then. I only wish that Stephi could have been with them when they said goodbye to their home !
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

I too have been to the nest and it looked moved about. but it did rain hard the other day.I've not seen them since the other day.. I pray for them to have a safe trip and to see them back in the spring. I love them soo :whistling: :shake: :bow:
chicktrick

Post by chicktrick »

Lighting some candles. They have almost all gone out. :(
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/can ... g&gi=stefi
ame

Post by ame »

there's thunder in the forest! at least one BBOBOBOOOM at 16.01.
earlier there was light steady rain...

then another rumble at 16.05. this was more distant than the previous.
ame

Post by ame »

16.13 heavy rain begins...

i was just recording, hoping to catch a nice lightning stroke, but no luck... :faint: :mrgreen:
so there isn't anything else on this clip except the beginning of the rain. :whistling:
kitcatldy

Post by kitcatldy »

Still visit here regularly, and so miss Stephi. I know she would probably be gone from nest by now, if she was alive, but still, the circumstances surrounding her not being here tug at my heart.

Went and lit another candle for her this morning. xoxoxox

Crystal
Yoko

Post by Yoko »

chicktrick wrote:Lighting some candles. They have almost all gone out. :(
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/can ... g&gi=stefi
This is done :)
Good day !
Yoko

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”