Now I'm nervous. :shock: :unsure:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Chimega wrote: That does not look like Kalev to me! :shock: :shock:
This is not Kalev - it is Eha diving from the branch to the lower right side!!!
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Bea

Post by Bea »

Chimega wrote:Now I'm nervous. :shock: :unsure:
No need to be nervous - we didn´t see anything that would give a reason !!!
asteria

Post by asteria »

Yes, at least. Kalev shoudl have left the nest a few days after branching, that is normal.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
alice44

Post by alice44 »

This is what fledging is like -- a bit nerve wracking. It is such a relief to watch the ospreys who return to their nests for days :nod: But as others have said, we have not seen anything out of the ordinary or suspicious. All seems well.

(When the peregrines first fledge in Winnipeg people patrol the streets in case they land in the street and traffic needs to be stopped.)

About that prey
I think the tail is the most important determinant between the weasels and the stiff old tail was difficult to tell much about. :faint: (poor creature)

:offtobed:
:wave:
Bea

Post by Bea »

alice44 wrote:This is what fledging is like -- a bit nerve wracking. It is such a relief to watch the ospreys who return to their nests for days :nod:
Exact the same I thought during watching the Latvian Osprey Nest - they come back for quite a long time to get fish or eat their self hunted fish :nod:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Bea wrote: This is not Kalev - it is Eha diving from the branch to the lower right side!!!
Ohhhhhh, ok. I knew it wasn't Kalev and from that color, I got scared cause it is the same as the goshawk's color. :blush: :faint:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Chimega wrote:
Ohhhhhh, ok. I knew it wasn't Kalev and from that color, I got scared cause it is the same as the goshawk's color. :blush: :faint:
That is the only nest when goshawks never showed up!
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Bea wrote: Exact the same I thought during watching the Latvian Osprey Nest - they come back for quite a long time to get fish or eat their self hunted fish :nod:
Yes, the same with owls, too. The same with our Bald Eagles here in the US. LSE are really new to me but I got my eagle book in the mail today and need to start reading. This is the one that has a lot of data on LSE, not a picture book. :wave: I will learn!! :innocent:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

asteria wrote:That is the only nest when goshawks never showed up!
Which is the only nest? I saw a goshawk at Mik's attacking him on the video, then of course, Stephi. :blush:
Starling

Post by Starling »

Chimega wrote: Which is the only nest? I saw a goshawk at Mik's attacking him on the video, then of course, Stephi. :blush:
:wave: This nest, Kalev´s nest (is the only nest without attacks of goshawks).
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Good morning everybody :hi:
Empty nest...It`s the same every year, it`s both very nice and very sad..and we always worry about them. It would have been very nice if they came back to the nest at least once, so that we can relax and see that they are ok. But that is the thing about LSE eaglets, when they leave they don`t come back..too much to learn before the big journey I think..
I don`t think Kalev is around, because then he would have come into the nest when Eha was here, or at least we would have heard him. Now he have to learn to be a good hunter by Koit.
( But I really hope he will come back on a little visit though :blush: )

I have to go shopping...see you later :wave:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Chimega wrote: Which is the only nest? I saw a goshawk at Mik's attacking him on the video, then of course, Stephi. :blush:
Someone said that the Goshawk tat attacked Miks was a young one, born this year, so I hope that it was just a accidental happening, and that they don`t have a nest in the same area.. :wave:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Starling wrote: :wave: This nest, Kalev´s nest (is the only nest without attacks of goshawks).
Thank you, Starling. My eyes are hurting me and I think I misread asteria's post. Sorry. :bow: :wave:
Bea

Post by Bea »

This is the last time Kalev was on the nest - it is a pontu pic from 6:18 - at 6:19 nest was empty and stayed so I think ...

Somehow he looks very resolute on this pic --- "Today is the day I will leave the branch and go to the world!"
Starling

Post by Starling »

Bea wrote:This is the last time Kalev was on the nest - it is a pontu pic from 6:18 - at 6:19 nest was empty and stayed so I think ...

Somehow he looks very resolute on this pic --- "Today is the day I will leave the branch and go to the world!"
Bea :hi: Yes, he looks so ready to go. Goodbye "our little" Kalev! :wave: :loveshower:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Eha, Koit&Kalev's one.
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

:offtobed: Good Morning / afternoon. I just came from his nest and he must be on a branch as i do not see or hear him. he is just wanting to see the world. does anyone know when he should leave the nest for good and will be migraite with the rest of the young ones.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Good morning everybody! :wave:

9:51 Eha arrived with food.

After waiting for more then one our Eha ate the food.

11:08 Eha flew away

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
aita

Post by aita »

alice44 wrote: About that prey
I think the tail is the most important determinant between the weasels and the stiff old tail was difficult to tell much about. :faint: (poor creature)

:offtobed:
:wave:
from my book about Estonian wildlife
kärp ja nirk: Mustela ereminea et nivalis
Mustela ereminea-hermelin (lumikko, kärp)- 16-29cm, 100-450g
Mustela nivalis- weasel (kärppa, nirk)- 15-25cm, 70-130g
(I put the names in finnish and in estonian too, because there is always confusion between these two relative languages. Exactly the same or similar words, but a completely different or the same meaning.)

Both have with white belly brown summer coat and a white winter coat. Hermelin (stoat) and weasel are very similar between the animals of the same diet and habitat. Appearance can discriminate between them by the tail tip. Hermelin tip of the tail seems to be dipped in black color pot, which becomes particularly pronounced in winter white fur coat. But a weasel tail is same color as the rest of the body. There is also a stoat larger, although not significantly, rather than implicitly. Stoat and weasel have spread all over Estonia and is a regular anywhere.
Already in ancient times, has been to say: if there is a hermelin or weasel may be domestic cat to sleep peacefully, because mice are not more concerned about.
Pontu picture 10 august 16-59 tip of tail seems brown.

Pontu picture 10 august 18-39

I also remember, that 2009 they eat at least 2 weasel and when the season was over then one weasel came to inspecting the nest.
(Koit old nest about 50m or 70m away).
Maybe Kalev spend some time at Spot nest too

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”