Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2013 ~ Eha & Koit

asteria

Re: Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2013 ~ Eha & Koit

Post by asteria »

I met such woodpeckers in our forest pretty often, once I saw the one sitting on the trunk of rotten birch, removing the pieces of wood and pecking ants.
aita

Post by aita »

:hi:
Thank you all
aita

Post by aita »

ame wrote: quote="aita"]... I must say that Koit surprised me. Compared to the 2009 season, he behaved very differently. (In 2012, I watched pretty rarely, so last year, I do not say anything about.)
2009 when KOIT was 10 seconds in front of the camera, it was a very long time.
This year, Koit was in the nest for several hours, with Kai. Koit took care of Kai. He was on June 28, with Kai in the nest at night (I know that many people do not believe me, but I'm 100% sure that it was Koit). I read forum that Koit even tried to feed Kai.
I wonder if the difference in behavior is related only to hunting lands, and hunting catch.
Or is it because Koit is older and wiser now than in 2009.
...[/quote

i think it is also possible that the Koit in 2009 was quite another bird than the Koit this summer. as none of these parent birds have rings it not possible to identify them absolutely certainly i think. or is it? :puzzled:
Absolutely sure could not have been anything, but how likely is that the new one is so similar.
I wrote the first in the spring of 2012, Koit is Koit, but Eha is not Eha. Before writing this, I compared the hundreds of pictures (2009-2012). Koit - I always look first to the head. He has a very strong eyebrows, left and right are different. There are lots of little nuances (the ends of the shape and pattern of the feathers, the left and right side), I do not know even in the Estonian language how to describe, but I can see them.
I watched it 2012 spring, the camera often. In summer, rarely watched. I'm pretty sure that both of the birds are the same as in 2012 and 2013 season. Koit 2009 and 2013.
my postings- I wrote the name only if at least three matched little detail. Also, I must add that Eha and Koit also changed during the season (probably due to moulting). Especially Eha.
ame

Post by ame »

ok aita, i believe you. :D
i used to doubt people who write that they know a certain bird from the appearance only, without any really spectacular characteristics like a ring on the ankle. the same goes with the black storks: the parents look so similar that i used to think that it can in no way be possible to say who is who..

later, now that i have watched Linda and especially Sulev for hundreds of hours (i think) and after seeing thounsands of pictures of them i think that i can say i know who is who is who from just the appearance... most of the times. :D :whistling:

it isn't always easy though... :faint:
ame

Post by ame »

The ESTLAT Eagles Cross Borders project is now over. It was a joint project of the Latvian Fund for Nature and the Ornithological Society of Estonia, lasting over two years (2012- 2013). The aim of the project was to work for the protection of large raptors, especially white-tailed sea eagles (WTEs) and ospreys, in Estonia and Latvia.

Lesser-spotted eagles (LSEs) were not quite the figurehead species of this project like WTEs and Ospreys which were the main targets of the project. However, as mentioned above, other larger raptors were also included in the project, as the measures improving their protection are mostly the same as for WTE's and ospreys. That is why i post the news about the EstLat-project here on the LSE-topic. I also believe that the readers of this topic will share their interests in other large raptors, not only LSEs.

Information and news updates about the project can be found here:
http://www.eoy.ee/en/taxonomy/term/91

A seminar to summarize the results of the project was organized on September 25th 2013 in Valga, Estonia:
http://www.eoy.ee/en/node/717

The presentations given in the seminar can be found here: http://www.eoy.ee/node/715 ,
and the picture album of the event is here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10250360 ... banner=pwa
aita

Post by aita »

:hi:
13:02
13:23 Jay(s) call, also Tit call

:wave:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Slowly it is time to say good-bye for the winter. On the LK page the summary was posted already a long time ago: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/17730

Thanks to everyone participating here in this topic for all the observations, pictures and videos. We have seen a nesting of LSE how it usually is, with all positive and negative aspects. In the end we saw a proud young eagle fly out and we all hope for a long and happy life for Kai!
My thanks also to Urmas, Joosep and Raul for maintaining the camera and taking care for young Kai, the nest and the camera.

Tuult tiibadesse, Eha, Koit and Kai!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Let me hint on the ongoing observation here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=611

A Black Eagle (Aquila verreauxii) which we watch since some weeks in South Africa. A relative, though bigger, of our LSE here and it is interesting to see the similarities and differences in nest life and the growing of the chick. Forum member Black Swan does a great job of posting pictures and observations!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Please will everyone read this notice and participate in the petition if you want to do that.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=618&p=283968#p283968

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”