Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2014 ~ Tuuli and Remo

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Estonian LSE Nest Discussion 2014 ~ Tuuli and Remo

Post by Felis silvestris »

Lesser Spotted Eagles Tuuli and Remo - LSE camera 2

This nest belonged to Black Storks before two Lesser Spotted Eagles called Tuuli and Remo took it over in 2010. It is located in Jõgeva county in eastern Estonia, about 20 km from the other camera LSE nest by Eha and Koit.

In 2010 two LSE - Tuuli and Remo (?) - worked on the nest and defended it against a Black Stork, but did not breed.
In 2011 Tuuli and Remo came back. Tuuli had the first egg on April 27 and the second on May 1. The only chick hatched on June 10. The second egg was either not fertilised or the chick died inside before hatching. "Tormi", as the young eagle was called, was ringed on July 25 and left the nest on August 9, 2011 to discover the world.
In 2012 Tuuli had to wait for her Remo and started a liaison with "Mr Blonde". Remo came just in time and stayed and Tuuli had one single egg on April 29. The chick which was called "Stephi" hatched in the night of June 8/9. Stephi had the forum worry about her health with breathing problems. On July 9th she got her rings. The bad times started on July 26, when for the first time a goshawk attacked Stephi on the nest. In a brave fight she managed to fend off the intruder but on August 6 the goshawk managed to pull her out of the nest and kill her.
In 2013 we could see both birds arrive and start with nestwork, but they apparently decided to have a year without offspring or started to use a different nest site. The camera stopped working during the season and could not be restored in spite of a battery change.

Urmas sent me a photo made by Joosep showing the nest camera like the eagles see it from the nest:

Looduskalender article: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/19685

Looduskalender articles on Lesser Spotted Eagles: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/taxonomy/term/31
Aquila Pomarina Collection providing further information on Lesser and Greater Spotted Eagles: viewforum.php?f=53

Link to camera JWstream: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/tooni.html
Link to camera VLC / Android: rtsp://193.40.133.138:80/live/tooni
Link for iPhone/iPad: http://193.40.133.138/live/tooni/playlist.m3u8

Note: The webaddress for the Pontu pictures is presently not working -
we have an alternate address for the time being - sample link:
http://193.40.124.24/2014-vilga-ftp/201 ... -19-35.jpg
(exchange the date - twice - and the time for the time you want to see)

Please remember:
The birds and animals in front of the webcams are animals in the wild, in their natural struggle for survival. You have to be prepared for fight scenes with respective consequences! The operators of the cameras will very rarely interfere in nature's mundane hazards. Should 2 chicks, the younger chick will not be taken out of the nest and set back later!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

The stream is working, but at the moment as instable as all the other cam streams.

The system needed some more work than usual, as it is running ever since it started in 2007.

The nest looks very cosy

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Bea

Post by Bea »

What a wonderful, familiar view :headroll:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
asteria

Post by asteria »

The connection is also bad but once I managed to see the nest. No nettles, the nest is completely prepared, Tuuli must be already here and... Remo or Stephan? Which of the guys will appear tonorrow?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I don't think any LSE has already reached that far north, if you look at the various migration maps showing LSE, they are still south of the Black sea. Their breeding season does not start before end of April, beginning of May.
There were extensive works on the system necessary and I am sure our eaglemen weeded the nettle garden and prepared a nice bed for the eagles.
Or a Black Stork, one of the previous owners?

Who is Stephan?

Manu

Post by Manu »

I'm curious if we will see Tuuli and Remo once again.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Well, the nest clearly looks like it was completely repaired by somebody. That is really strange. It can't have been storks, 'cause they use other materials, so it might be LSE couple who arrived earlier this year because of the early spring. Could it be Urmas or Renno? I don't think so. Yes, they remove the nettles but never prepare nests for the birds.

Stephan aka Mr. Stephan Blond is the dad of Stephi.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Manu wrote:I'm curious if we will see Tuuli and Remo once again.
Me too, it´s exciting days ahead! It would have been very nice to meet Tuuli and Remo again, and to hear the crazy cuckoos :D
The nest looks very cozy. Someone, eaglemen or others, must have been working on it :thumbs:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Asteria, this ALL we don't know, also not who was actually the father of Stephi and I have no recollection of calling this eagle anything but a joking "Mr Blond".
But it was surely no LSE working on the nest, if you look at the migration map.
As I wrote, Urmas informed me that the system needs more repairs as it was not working by the end of last season. My guess he and/or Joosep or somebody else from Eagleclub took the chance to make the nest ready.

Unfortunately there are no Pontu pictures from the LSE nests available yet, so for the moment it is all wild guesses!

And yes, I hope we see "our" eagles again this year. We need a good season at this nest now! Keep your fingers crossed.

vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

Felis silvestris wrote:I don't think any LSE has already reached that far north, if you look at the various migration maps showing LSE, they are still south of the Black sea. Their breeding season does not start before end of April, beginning of May.
There were extensive works on the system necessary and I am sure our eaglemen weeded the nettle garden and prepared a nice bed for the eagles.
Or a Black Stork, one of the previous owners?

Who is Stephan?
In fact not all LSE are at the Black Sea. We have some observations in Latvia and I think some birds have reached Estonia too.
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

Felis silvestris wrote:...And yes, I hope we see "our" eagles again this year. We need a good season at this nest now! Keep your fingers crossed.
I hope so, too! :rolleyes:
Schmutz

Post by Schmutz »

This nest makes me nervous after what happened to Stephi.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Since 2007 the only succesful season without victims in this BS/LSE nest was in 2011. I wish this year would be the similar.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I agree with Schmutz.

As much as I would like to see Remo and Tuuli, I would prefer to see Donna and Padis again.
Btw - did we ever learn what happened to them?
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi
asteria

Post by asteria »

I guess Donna didn't want to return in this nest since 2008(it was clear from her behavior at the end of season) and Padis finally found some other nest and a new female.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

The fresh material in nest is placed by us (Joosep and Urmas) in autumn to suspend growing of weed and fungi.
Maybe the breath problems were caused by mold spores from humid and tight stork nest?
Susie

Post by Susie »

It's so great what Urmas and Joosep do for the birds. :thumbs:
Thank you all for these effort!
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi
wildflowers

Post by wildflowers »

Does anyone know anything about Metra and Maco, if they are safe and do they have a nest with a cam? :puzzled:
airras

Post by airras »

:hi: :whistling:
8:04
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

* Airras what is that ?
perhaps a Squirrel or Pine Marten ? :puzzled:

* I have read nothing of that wildflowers, maybe that will be come later ?

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”