Osprey Nests in North America

Birdfriend

Re: Osprey Nests in North America

Post by Birdfriend »

Lucky is still working on her third fish, but Beaumont, her great Dad, brings already the next one. Lazy Lucky stays on the nest nearly for the completely day. :rotf:
Dad spoiled she.

Lucky with her 4.fish...is she not beautiful?
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
balistar

Post by balistar »

Cessie wrote:Beaumont, really is incredible!
Thanks, Birdfriend!

Balistar, I read that the last time anyone saw Steve, was last Friday.
Bailey, instinctively knows how to fish. But Bailey had Steve fishing for her. :D
:hi: Chessie,
thank you. Then Steve probably did migrate. So this brave Dad doesn't know, if his princess is dead or did migrate. Anyway the parents do separate from their chicks, when the time for migration is coming and they do never migrate together, isn't it that way?
Good to know, that the young ospreys will learn fishing also by themselves (didn't know that before). "Bailey had Steve fishing for her" - like Lucky has her Dad Beaumont :laugh:

Now hope, that Bailey is getting better and fast enough so that it is not too late for her own migration.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Newfoundland

Beaumont and Lucky are still together there. Early morning pic. At this time Lucky got already her first fish from today.

Daddy with the second... :D

I watched three deliveries so far today, it could be also more. It makes me a bit sad, that Lucky stays in his nest the most time, she only left for a short time. She should strengthen her wings muscle for her long trip...
I have somehow the impression, that Tuks in latvia and here Lucky suffer, because their siblings are so early gone for migration. :bow:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Breakfast for Lucky. :thumbs:

Update from Shanawdithit:

No update from her son Tommy. :unsure:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

A portrait and some dates from Tommy:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Yesterday the cam was not working.
Beaumont and Lucky are still there. A fish for waiting Lucky. :D

Edit: In the evening Beaumont brought still a huge trout for Lucky. I believe, that Lucky was still eating on them in the darkness. :D
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Update from Tommy. :loveshower: He is around Maine.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Today the cam is again offline, maybe a problem with batteries. :puzzled: :banghead:
Now every day Beaumont and Lucky could start to the south...

Update from Shana, she is now around North Carolina.
seira

Post by seira »

Savannah, Georgia

9/22 https://www.facebook.com/LandingsBirdCa ... =3&theater
9/27 https://www.facebook.com/LandingsBirdCa ... =3&theater

Great Horned Owls, Mr. and Mrs. Savannah are back.
Savannah nest will change to the GHO nest again ?!
I love them both, but I hope that Mr. and Mrs. Savannah can find another nest with better coverage and more branches.

Great Horned Owl visit 2017 09 22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TJXKTDOjko
Great Horned Owl visits the nest 2017 09 27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R3GeBoavbQ
by Becky R
Jujani

Post by Jujani »

Wow
The American Ospreys have a very long journey. Where in South America they spend the winter, in Brazil?
Or fly down to Argentina
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

I opened the cam and it works again, but no sign from Lucky and Beaumont. Most likely they started their hard migration to the south. I have read, that these north american osprey must alter their route because the heavy storms Irma and other. And on the inland route are many predators as danger for osprey. :blush:
A other female, named Daphne, from a other nest in Newfoundland was killed from a GHO, short later after her migration start, she raised two chicks. Very sad. :cry:
I'm really worry about Tommy, his last transmitter signal was at 24.09. He was started very young, he was only a bit more than two months old. Fingers crossed for Tommy.
Beaumont and Lucky, please stay safe and come good to your destination.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

There are two others whose transmitters are indicating they are either in serious trouble or have died. Both were crossing the ocean in the Caribbean. :cry:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega wrote:There are two others whose transmitters are indicating they are either in serious trouble or have died. Both were crossing the ocean in the Caribbean. :cry:
Can you post the names?
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

1st one from Rob Bierregaard‎ to Ospreys of Newfoundland & Labrador
17 hrs
Doesn't look good for Tommy. He had a new radio and the weather has been fine, so we can't blame bad weather for causing his battery to not fully charge. Total mystery here. We'll still hold onto a bit of hope, but be prepared for the worst. On a brighter front, the weather is spot on for our birds going down the east coast. They have a low pressure system (the remains of Hurricane Jose) off the east coast and a cracking big high pressure system to the west. These conditions provide a great boosting NW wind pushing the birds just where they want to go. That's why Flow, Shana, and Borealis made such good progress. (The weather map is from the 23rd.)
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Ospreytrax.com
September 26 at 4:38pm
It looks bad for our New Hampshire adult, Staddler. His locations are moving about 1 mile/hour across the Gulf of Venezuela, which can only mean that he died and his body is drifting in a current. He apparently flew into some bad weather about half-way across the Caribbean. Coincidentally, a young Osprey (Lux) migrating from southern Michigan made exactly the same turn just 3 hours before Staddler. We haven't heard yet if the Michigan bird survived. Staddler did make it across the rest of the Caribbean, but may have been exhausted.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Thank you very much, Chimega!

OMG, I hoped, that Staddler could it make. He was already so far on his way. :cry:
And Tommy... :cry: Would you please me further inform about updates? I have observed this nest from Shana and Beaumont intensely. :wave:

Edit: Gives it news from Layla?
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

I will try to keep the posts updated. I guess the only way they will know for positive is if they go out and find bodies where the sat trackers are. :cry:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Chimega wrote:I will try to keep the posts updated. I guess the only way they will know for positive is if they go out and find bodies where the sat trackers are. :cry:
Updated http://ospreytrax.com/2017%20Fall.html
29 September
"Newly tagged Tommy, migrating southwest from Newfoundland, dropped off the map on the 23rd. This was a complete mystery. He had a new radio, so we can't blame radio failure, and the weather was fine. He perched along the Sandy River in central ME at 5PM. He may have moved again, but we only have two more locations, at 6 and 7 PM, then he disappears. Typically, with birds we suspect were killed by owls, we get a cluster of points because the radio is on the ground and the battery charge will last a few days."
"And then there's Staddler. He ran into some rough weather over the Caribbean, made a sharp turn southwest and then made it to the Paraguana Peninsula in northernmost Venezuela. Seemingly inexplicably, instead of stopping and resting, he wound up floating in the Gulf of Veneuela. See a video that my colleague Iain MacLeod of the Squam Lake Natural Science Center put together showing what Staddler experienced here. He floated for over 30 hours, drifting along at 1 mph. " (here = link: https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/913441098395250690)
Birdfriend wrote: ... Edit: Gives it news from Layla?
13 September - LAYLA
"Our Washington, DC, youngster Layla realized that the swamp was in fact not being drained and left her home on the Anacostia River way back in August. She somehow channeled Horace Greeley's advice to "Go west, young Osprey" and wound up on Senecaville Lake, in Ohio. She's been there for about six weeks. Must be a mighty fine lake. She may be a lingering young like Meadow, who found paywater (the Osprey's version of paydirt) in Michigan and stayed there until November 15th, or Leif who fished the river in Lewiston, ME, until November 7th. This has not proved a successful strategy, as both Meadow and Leif took so long to start migrating that they ran out of migration juice when they got to the Dominican Republic and tried to winter there. The D.R. is not an Osprey-friendly place. Neither survived."

I am so sorry for all this birds :cry: :bow:
map click
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

It is so cruel to read and see that. :cry: In a week three ospreys, Flow, Tommy, Staddler. It shows us harsh, how dangerous and risky the migration is for our friends. Heavy loss for these species. It makes me very sad.

Update from Shana, Tommys Mom:
She is in Florida. Please, stay safe!!!
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

(((Birdfriend))), I'm so sorry to read that Tommy passed! :cry:
I hope that they will find out the reason why he died!
I know that you followed this nest closely.

I have found a new Osprey nest, in Australia!
It isn't Livestreaming yet. They are putting up great videos on YouTube and they have a Facebook page.
"Ospreys in Port Lincoln South Australia ".
There is a very good story behind this Osprey pair, and a new nest was built for them on a barge. They have 2 cute chicks! The camera zooms! The only setback is waiting on NBN. NBN is just being connected in Port Lincoln, so it is getting closer.
(That was the answer I received, after asking when can we expect Livestreaming 24/7). I have no idea what NBN is! Lol! :whistling:
I'm just so happy to have an osprey cam to fill some gap time between our other Osprey nest cams!

Yes, I know that this information should be in a different forum, because Australia is not in North America! But I would appreciate it, when the live cam goes up, someone please post info here!
Meanwhile, enjoy the YouTube videos posted every day and Facebook page!
:D

Return to “Osprey”