Ospreys and Eagles in Finland ~ 2009 & 2010

ame

Re: Interesting Links

Post by ame »

yes i could do that if i had only one or two pictures to show. but i have dozens of them :whistling: and since this the estonian sea eagles' forum i think posting pictures of finnish eagles here might be a bit inappropriate...

i'll create daily picture albums in the photobucket where anyone interested in seeing these pictures can go and visit there to have a look at them :wave: .

oops! i seem to have destroyed the above link as i organized the photo albums :blush:
sorry jo uk.

any ways: all the pictures so far can be found in the address below:

http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... ellaneous/

i think there are some rather spectacular pictures of the eagles in today's pictures. i guess they still 'think' they have a chance in conquering the nest for themselves, but i'm afraid they are late for this season. as the estonian eagles have been already been incubating for weeks.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, ame! Thanks for the photobucket album link! I have followed the Finnish sääksicam almost every day. Today was the firs day i saw there are two Osprays, at last.. It's exiting to see who will have the nest for them.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

:hi:

Ame, thank you for very interesting news about eagle/osprey (?) nest. I like this webcam very much, especially for great cam picture and beautiful landscape.
This afternoon I watch this nest frequently and every time I see one of the ospreys guarding the nest, it seems not leaving it. At 16:46 the second osprey arrived (for a short while only), and I noticed a bloody wound on its breast, a trace of fight with eagles? :puzzled: :unsure:

zoomed
Olga

Post by Olga »

Lucy , it has got the wound today. Earlier today there was no blood on the chest.. Eagles have propably done it.
I think it looks bad.. :unsure: It worries me because just yesterday I read that for ex Blue tit female, when there are some eggs on the nest, abandones at once her mate if it gets attacked by Sparrowhawk. The Blue tit goes and try to find a new male. There must not even be seen seemingly wound*).

How it will go on here, we will see..

*) Dutch biologists noted, Origins of Virtue by Matt Ridley - it deals the evolution of human behavior, but there is lot of animal's behavior too)
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

renandeli wrote:Lucy , it has got the wound today. Earlier today there was no blood on the chest.. Eagles have propably done it.
I think it looks bad.. :unsure: It worries me because ...]
The White Storks often engage in battle. One of the females in Zeiskam Muller this year had a very (very!) bloody looking chest. I think she was OK (have not kept up very well with that nest) - I think she won the fight for the nest and is the same one incubating eggs now. http://www.pfalzstorch.de/bilder/live_zeiskam.html
Olga

Post by Olga »

bociany wrote: The White Storks often engage in battle. One of the females in Zeiskam Muller this year had a very (very!) bloody looking chest. I think she was OK (have not kept up very well with that nest) - I think she won the fight for the nest and is the same one incubating eggs now. http://www.pfalzstorch.de/bilder/live_zeiskam.html
For ten minutes ago I saw them both on the nest again. I didn't see the blood anymore anywhere.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link of the White Storks.

Bo, I will watch the Finnish Golden eagles too, but my PC seems to have luck of capacity to look more thsn one cam at time.. of course the time is what it is, it can't be increased.. :(

But we are happy to get new members every day! That way time will increase almost without limit! :bounce:

No blood, - I think the chests both Osprays are seen - I can't differ who is who.. :puzzled: :

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

renandeli wrote:For ten minutes ago I saw them both on the nest again. I didn't see the blood anymore anywhere.. :rolleyes:

No blood, - I think the chests both Osprays are seen - I can't differ who is who.. :puzzled: :
Very strange, indeed, renandelli. :unsure: Perhaps the blood came from the osprey's victim, that is a fish? :puzzled:
Anyway, I'm very glad that everything is OK with both ospreys. :thumbs:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Lucy wrote: Very strange, indeed, renandelli. :unsure: Perhaps the blood came from the osprey's victim, that is a fish? :puzzled:
Anyway, I'm very glad that everything is OK with both ospreys. :thumbs:
No wonder that there was no more blood seen! They have been eaten fish! I found pics from the Finnish Gallery that Hannu Vainiopekka gave yesterday. Osprays fishing :rotf:

http://www.dataeura.fi/kuvia/saaksi/index.html

edited: There are in that gallery just incredible photographs.. :shock:
and what a bird!

ame

Post by ame »

renandeli wrote:Hi, ame! Thanks for the photobucket album link! I have followed the Finnish sääksicam almost every day. Today was the firs day i saw there are two Osprays, at last.. It's exiting to see who will have the nest for them.
gee, i didn't know that our ospreys' nest is already internationally famous...:blush:
-on the other hand, i should have realized that storkaholics are not the only kind of birdaholics in the world... :D

the discussion page on the Finnish Saaristomeri-info site is not as interesting as these pages because e.g. there are no pictures and people are writing there only in finnish thus excluding most of the world out of the conversation.

thanks Bociany for finally opening my eyes! :thumbs:
Jo Uk already tried yesterday to guide me here but i seem to be a very slow learner... :blush:

it's difficult to identify the birds at the nest as they have no rings (except in some pictures you can tell which is male and which is female :whistling: ) . i'm guessing that the early bird is a male and the late-comer, the darker bird is a female. but are these the only ospreys visiting the nest? and is either of them one of the birds of last year's couple? the first one has been patrolling the nest since last Sunday morning (Apr 5th).
Olga

Post by Olga »

ame said:
it's difficult to identify the birds at the nest as they have no rings (except in some pictures you can tell which is male and which is female :whistling: ) . i'm guessing that the early bird is a male and the late-comer, the darker bird is a female. but are these the only ospreys visiting the nest? and is either of them one of the birds of last year's couple? the first one has been patrolling the nest since last Sunday morning (Apr 5th).
I found the seili-camera if I remember right first in some germany web page, last year when I searched something about Black Storks. welcome to the club, I'm mad about BSs, and watch mostly them, in Portugal and in Estonia, but that's not enough.. not always :innocent:

Yes, who knows how many there are Ospreys visiting the nest. Here some pics from this morning. So the female is quite a lot bigger than the male.

ame

Post by ame »

renandeli wrote:ame said: I found the seili-camera if I remember right first in some germany web page, last year when I searched something about Black Storks. welcome to the club, I'm mad about BSs, and watch mostly them, in Portugal and in Estonia, but that's not enough.. not always :innocent:

Yes, who knows how many there are Ospreys visiting the nest. Here some pics from this morning. So the female is quite a lot bigger than the male.
yes, the female should be bigger than the male, but i'm not sure how much the perspective lies here in these pictures. they should be sitting exactly at the same distance from the camera... and still the fluffiness of the feathers makes a big difference in size. as i said, the only pictures you can be sure about which is which are those in which they are making little ospreys :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

there is also another web camera in Finland on an ospreys' nest. it's located in Marjaniemi, on the island Hailuoto, near Oulu which is up half the way of Finland on the west coast. the link is this:

http://kotinetti.suomi.net/saaksi/index.php

they have opened the camera on March 7th for this season. the picture is refreshed about every 20 seconds, but they promise to transmit also live video stream (but when, i don't know).

last year the couple at this nest managed to raise two chicks into flight. a visiting WTE killed the third chick just before it had learned to fly. the two older siblings managed to escape.

if you check the view you can see that it will still take some time before any action can be expected on and around this nest :rolleyes: ... unless of course there are WTEs rehearsing married life, too! maybe i should start watching this cam??!?... :puzzled:
Olga

Post by Olga »

ame, it was told - I mean of the happenings in Marjaniemi, in the web page where I used to be last year, In Hancock Wildlife Channel. It was a drama.

I believe this one Osrpray is the female, and the male is fishing..I guess. I looked so many time the male before the female returned, that I could swear that this looks different, the looking of head and face is different, somehow..

I will apologise very much If I'm wrong (again!.. :D )

she left at 15:45

Olga

Post by Olga »

A little later, the male returned .. :hi:

and then ..

the male left quite soon. She is watching around.

ame

Post by ame »

i think the female (= the later arriving bird) has a darker collar/chest than the male. but it is very difficult to tell which one is there if there is only one bird at a time so that you can't compare them. also the view is usually very limited.

she's been re-arranging the branches this afternoon and also dropping them (i think). it would almost be better if she sat still. :rolleyes:

and yes, every now and then the program on this channel is not suited for children to watch
:laugh: :blush:
i think it is going to be like this for some time! :whistling:
Olga

Post by Olga »

ame wrote:i think the female (= the later arriving bird) has a darker collar/chest than the male. but it is very difficult to tell which one is there if there is only one bird at a time so that you can't compare them. also the view is usually very limited.

she's been re-arranging the branches this afternoon and also dropping them (i think). it would almost be better if she sat still.

and yes, every now and then the program on this channel is not suited for children to watch
:laugh: :blush:
i think it is going to be like this for some time! :whistling:
Yes, this is a web page for all family. If we do not underline that.. :blush: :D .. I don't know how to say. They are avesome birds anyway. That is their life at it's highest point, one of the most importants.. well..
Olga

Post by Olga »

The male sitting there behind, and the darker female in front?

female to the right?..oh, thsis difficult

and here the same..not too easy.. :2thumbsup:

NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

ame wrote:there is also another web camera in Finland on an ospreys' nest. it's located in Marjaniemi, on the island Hailuoto, near Oulu which is up half the way of Finland on the west coast. the link is this:

http://kotinetti.suomi.net/saaksi/index.php
I watched that camera a little bit last year (and maybe the year before??) but I could not find the link again - so Thank You, ame, for posting it.

renandeli Those pictures of "family life" of the osprey are amazing!
Olga

Post by Olga »

The Saaristomeri sääksicam happenings, WTEs' and ospray's figthting, was one of the main news in Finland in Easter, the 10th Aprill 2009, Helsingin Sanomat, second page's 'Karsson' cartoon.

Olga

Post by Olga »

Easter is an yesterday thing now.

The male was sitting alone on the nest. Then he noticed something, and opened the beak: 'I'm calling youu!!' And she came! But he went off. :innocent:

Tha female keeps on looking around. :thumbs:

Return to “Osprey”