Ospreys and Eagles in Finland ~ 2009 & 2010

Jo UK
Site Admin

Re: Ospreys and Eagles in Finland

Post by Jo UK »

I think this description wont help us at all, but I had to go hunting for a description of differences between male and female osprey.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/s ... aetus.html

On average, while not necessarily longer, female ospreys are 20% heavier than males and have a wingspan that is 5 to 10% greater. In North America, for example, male ospreys range in mass from 1200 to 1600 g, whereas females range from 1600 to 2000 g. Female ospreys also often have darker plumage and a more defined necklace than their male counterparts. (Poole, 1994)
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Osprey vs. Eagles in the news in Finland (as renandeli said)

White-tailed eagle and osprey fighting a majestic battle over desirable Nauvo property

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/White- ... 5245043556

The two most noble birds of prey in the Finnish archipelago, the white-tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) and the osprey (Pandion haliaetus) are fighting a heated battle for a ”Net-nest” that originally belonged to the osprey.
Battle commenced on Sunday when one of the former-owner ospreys returned from its winter migration and discovered that its home in Nauvo in the Archipelago Sea had been taken over by a pair of white-tailed eagles during the winter.

The contest is a repeat of last year's, when victory went to the appreciably smaller osprey
... (Continued at link above)
Olga

Post by Olga »

In the morning both were on the nest. Now one knows if these are the same as last year.. I just thought that hese could have names too. The couple of the year 2006 was named as Liisa and Tapani. Well,..

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

The female has been most of the time on the nest. Her head feathers are a bit longer that the male's. There is new moss on the nest. The male has made short visits.

Olga

Post by Olga »

The male propably flying there.. she is watching. I saw one mating, a part of it, as it can be seen

Olga

Post by Olga »

I looked almost for one hour. The female was alerted.. I have not seen the male's visit in that time. I got quite good pictures of her positions how they changed when she looked around, and made voices.. supposedly, beak open.

Olga

Post by Olga »

Who's that giant! :shock: Is it only the perspective that makes that one seem that big! It has a big fish..

:help:

Olga

Post by Olga »

What..

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Some earlier pics:

Intruder flying over nest (strange osprey?) :shock:

Once again (only a piece of branch is visible) :mrgreen:

Three times that's enough :vangry:
Olga

Post by Olga »

What bird is that there down to the right?

ame

Post by ame »

renandeli wrote:What bird is that there down to the right?

it is the crow checking whether there are eggs to be stolen yet! that :protest: :protest: wretched thief!!! it keeps on coming there regularly and it doesn't mind if the lawful owners are there or not :argue:

by the way: great pictures Renandeli! :bow: :D
ame

Post by ame »

and now i think i heard an european woodcook (Scolopax rusticola) for the first time here. was i right? did anyone else hear that gnoort-gnoort? :puzzled:

EDIT: oh.. :slap: i'm on a wrong forum, sorry! :blush: i'm listening to the sounds of the Estonian eagles' nest. oh what a mistake... :blush: :blush:
Olga

Post by Olga »

News in Finnish newspaper on these Nauvo/Seili archipelago cam osprays, today 15th Aprill:

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Osprey ... 5245189352

pictures from HS:
The ospreys were caught on camera mating in their nest immediately after one of the pair had returned from its migration on Monday.

We are dealing here with big birds and even bigger birds. The comparison between the birds of prey: Sääksi = the osprey (Pandion haliaetus) and merikotka = the white-tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla). Siipien kärkiväli = wingspan; paino = weight. As can be seen, the eagle's wingspan is appreciably greater than the height of an adult man.
Olga

Post by Olga »

In the morning :thumbs:

Olga

Post by Olga »

In the morning, noon and afternoon. Together. But she is alone on the nest most of the time. The male visits the nest often, and it spend his time there too. :rolleyes:

Millan

Post by Millan »

Hi, it is so charming to se all the great pictures from our Ospreys hier, super!
And thanks for your many komments! :wave:
We all are linving with the birds now daily. The nest is empty at present...
ame

Post by ame »

wau you have taken just great close-ups! con-grats Renandeli! :bow:
i took a long series of wide-angle pictures one after another this morning which hopefully will give an idea of the couples more relaxed living on the nest, when looked at as a slide show. 'relaxed' here means that i didn't catch them in 'action' this time :whistling: . instead they rather looked like as if they were 'having ziggies' afterwards... :whistling: :shake:

the male (?) was doing his morning toilette, grooming his feathers. sometimes it seemed to even take a short nap. at least he had his eyes closed and head nodding down in some pictures.

in this series of pictures they also change places so that it possible to compare their looks: the bird that arrived later (female?) indeed has a darker and larger collar than the other (male?). however, it is still very difficult to compare their sizes reliably. the difference in sizes is not strikingly obvious, if there is any at all.

i downloaded this series of pictures in the Photobucket. the address is:
http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... o16042009/

i'm sorry i don't know a way to avoid those advertisements. :puzzled:
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Welcome Millan!

Hi ame!Thanks for the photobucket series! -

ame said
sometimes it seemed to even take a short nap. at least he had his eyes closed and head nodding down in some pictures
I saw that. :rolleyes: In the morning they were both for a while eyes shut.. sweetly nodding in sleep.

ame said
i'm sorry i don't know a way to avoid those advertisements.
sorry, me neither know how to avoid them. I just try to never touch them. :blush:
ame

Post by ame »

hmmm... ??? :puzzled:
i had a look in the P-bucket to see how the pictures look.. not good. :shock:
does anyone know how i should make a slide show of them? :dunno:
now they are only a series of miniature pictures, :unsure:
help? :puzzled:
Olga

Post by Olga »

ame wrote:hmmm... ??? :puzzled:
i had a look in the P-bucket to see how the pictures look.. not good. :shock:
does anyone know how i should make a slide show of them? :dunno:
now they are only a series of miniature pictures, :unsure:
help?
They can be watched one by one.

I don't know how to make slide show. Once I tried it and my PC threw me out! I think photobucket is so full of anykind 'do this do that', i don't know how make even folders. Some one could explain the slideshow making if you put the question there in the Technical questions. I will come to read then..

edit But they can be watched as slideshow! Press the slideshow ( in photobucket page on the righ corner up! ) It will show the pics in show, slow, medium, fast or reverse! :thumbs:

Return to “Osprey”