Ospreys and Eagles in Finland ~ 2009 & 2010

Millan

Re: Ospreys and Eagles in Finland

Post by Millan »

Ther was in the P-bucet on the right a point to click on slideshow!
Millan

Post by Millan »

ame wrote:hmmm... ??? :puzzled:
i had a look in the P-bucket to see how the pictures look.. not good. :shock:
does anyone know how i should make a slide show of them? :dunno:
now they are only a series of miniature pictures, :unsure:
help? :puzzled:
There is on the right side the place to start slideshow. And Thans for the photos, with slideshow!!!
Olga

Post by Olga »

Millan wrote:Ther was in the P-bucet on the right a point to click on slideshow!
I just was researching at the same time. I was not sure if can explain it in english!

I can use Pbucket just a little :blush: , to copy pics here..
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

What is that light on the other picture, on the corner down right? Is it the light of the lighthouse (majakka)?
Or just a light for the airplanes to know that they should not fly too near the Ospray nest? :idea:

The light can be seen on the same plase by night too.

I'll be off PC over the weekend..
Olga

Post by Olga »

New morning, hello :wave:

new lichen on the nest, it's a misty morning in Seili
see you after the weekend
ame

Post by ame »

renandeli wrote:What is that light on the other picture, on the corner down right? Is it the light of the lighthouse (majakka)?
Or just a light for the airplanes to know that they should not fly too near the Ospray nest? :idea:

The light can be seen on the same plase by night too.

I'll be off PC over the weekend..
it's a metal strip (vyörautaa tms in finnish) reflecting whatever little ligth there is coming from the evening sky. i was puzzled about for a long time, too, before i realized it. in some evening pictures you can see it in better ligth and recognize it. i think it may be there to make supporting structure stronger. or maybe it is a part of the camera structure, because it actually doesn't look like it belonged to the navigation mark tower, on which the nest is built.
ame

Post by ame »

good (misty) morning!
thanks Renandeli and Millan for finding the slide show button. :shake: the P-bucket page is so contaminated with unimportant stuff that it hard to find wat you need.
:wave:
Millan

Post by Millan »

Good morning!

The light is for the boats, the metalholders are therefore.

The nest is emty just now...
ame

Post by ame »

renandeli wrote:In the morning, noon and afternoon. Together. But she is alone on the nest most of the time. The male visits the nest often, and it spend his time there too. :rolleyes:

i am browsing your yesterday's pictures again. in this last one of them the difference of the two birds can be seen very clearly. on the left is the bird that arrived later (female) and the male is on the right. the dark collar/ breast of the female is both larger and more uniformly dark than the breast of the male. and they look practically the same size.
(to be exactly certain of the birds sexes we still need, however, a picture of them in 'business', i.e. on top of each other and facing the camera 8-) :whistling: )
great pictures, Renandeli! :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

Millan wrote:Good morning!

The light is for the boats, the metalholders are therefore.
i don't think there is a 'real, active' light there in the lower right corner, because it can't be seen in the middle of full darkness, late in the night. i think the 'light' is only a reflection from a relatively fresh, unpainted and so-far in-oxidized metal surface. it can only be seen when lighting right.
ame

Post by ame »

by the way: i had a glimpse on the situation in Hailuoto. the snow is melting gradually, but most of the ground is still covered with snow.

the local weather situation and forecast can be found here:
http://www.fmi.fi/weather/local.html?place=Oulu
and the ice-coverage situation can be seen in this web page:
http://www.fimr.fi/en/itamerinyt/en_GB/jaatilanne/

the forecast doesn't promise a swift melting on the ice and snow. therefore we can't expect the ospreys to arrive in Hailuoto in the nearest future, even though the spring is early there this year. :hi:
Moose

Post by Moose »

ame wrote: it's a metal strip (vyörautaa tms in finnish) reflecting whatever little ligth there is coming from the evening sky. i was puzzled about for a long time, too, before i realized it. in some evening pictures you can see it in better ligth and recognize it. i think it may be there to make supporting structure stronger. or maybe it is a part of the camera structure, because it actually doesn't look like it belonged to the navigation mark tower, on which the nest is built.
Hi everybody!

There was question about the light seen on the lower right corner. There really is a lamp or a light, the building is some kind of a navigation mark tower with a blinking light for helping boats to navigate. This light can be seen easily in the archive pictures on this page: http://natureit.fi/index.php?page=arkisto
ame

Post by ame »

Moose wrote: Hi everybody!

There was question about the light seen on the lower right corner. There really is a lamp or a light, the building is some kind of a navigation mark tower with a blinking light for helping boats to navigate. This light can be seen easily in the archive pictures on this page: http://natureit.fi/index.php?page=arkisto
:puzzled: ?? do you mean like in this picture:
http://natureit.fi/uploads/images/arkis ... 100001.jpg
the big black round thing isn't there any more. that is certainly a lamp. but i think the light strip is not a real 'light'. i'll have to had a look late in the evening again. it has been pitch black in the night there.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Hi, you are right. That upper black "lamp" isn't there any more, but I'm sure the lower one still is there. When there is completely dark, every now and then the light of that lamp is reflected on that metallic strip. And this reflection can be seen even though there is no evening light in the horizon. I have to check it when I visit Seili again.
ame

Post by ame »

Moose wrote:Hi, you are right. That upper black "lamp" isn't there any more, but I'm sure the lower one still is there. When there is completely dark, every now and then the light of that lamp is reflected on that metallic strip. And this reflection can be seen even though there is no evening light in the horizon. I have to check it when I visit Seili again.
oh you can go to the actual location? :shock: and come to think of: so could i! :slap: but is it wise to go there now? maybe the birds get scared away? :unsure:
let's check the evening/night view first. maybe that gives more info...
Millan

Post by Millan »

ame wrote: i don't think there is a 'real, active' light there in the lower right corner, because it can't be seen in the middle of full darkness, late in the night. i think the 'light' is only a reflection from a relatively fresh, unpainted and so-far in-oxidized metal surface. it can only be seen when lighting right.
Well, it´s name is "linjataulu" in Finnish. And it can be seen in the middle of full darknes. http://www.saunalahti.fi/ass1/tail feathers_fi.htm
ame

Post by ame »

Millan wrote: Well, it´s name is "linjataulu" in Finnish. And it can be seen in the middle of full darknes. http://www.saunalahti.fi/ass1/tail feathers_fi.htm
i'm trying to see it tonight. i haven't paid so much attention to it so far. i've just thought it simply the metal strip that i can see there reflecting the surrounding skylight. maybe there really is a lamp there, too! i'm not that aware of these technical stuff. :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

Millan & Moose, you are absolutely right: there is a blinking lamp giving light which is reflected from some metal things in the tower!
i made a series of pictures this evening. they can be seen in
http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... o17042009/

i started taking pictures at 19.30 (one picture = s1) and then after that i took 5 pictures in a row (this took about 1 min) every 10 minutes. so it was pic,pic,pic,pic,pic, pause for about 9 min, and then repeat. i used an egg timer to pace me. 8-)
then i stopped at about 10 pm when it was almost completely dark. in the end i took more than five pics in a row (i can't remember how many :slap: )
in a series of pictures you can see the light reflecting from the metal parts in the tower in some pictures, while it is completely dark in the other pictures.

BUT there is a problem with the Photobucket :puzzled: . it doesn't understand my order of the pictures. i have named them with a running number 1,2,3,...,9,10,11,12,... but the stupid P-bucket organizes them in order 1,10,100,11,110,... and what ever. i tried to reorganize the pics in proper order but i didn't manage to do it. does anyone of you have an idea of how to teach P-buckket ot count right?? :puzzled:
good night folkes! i'm taking off for tonight. :offtobed:
Moose

Post by Moose »

I'm not going to climb up the tower, there is no reason because of my field-glasses. And the tower can be observed along the nature trails on the opposite bank of the bay, that is best done during summer.
ame

Post by ame »

OK :rolleyes: i guess also the immediate surroundings of the tower are also out of limits :puzzled: i read in a book that at least the WTE's don't tolerate even the sight of humans near their nest...

- i don't know anything about the location and the surroundings of the nest. maybe it's time to start studying the map... :whistling: this could be a perfect target for an outing in the nature. :D

Return to “Osprey”