Ospreys and Eagles in Finland ~ 2009 & 2010

Obs_erver

Re: Ospreys and Eagles in Finland

Post by Obs_erver »

Hi ame!

Here is for you a map service:
http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/kart ... ool=siirra

Linjataulu= marine navigation equipment and osprey's nest are on the cape, down right.
Nest tower is a upper part of lining system, the other is to the northwest, on the island Korkiasaari:

http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/kart ... ra&lang=FI

That line (between two lights) is showing for vessels the right direction to follow waterway.
Millan

Post by Millan »

Hi, it`s stormy wind, and perhaps that´s why the ospreys are not stayin on the nest longer. But now and then the are...
[img][/Users/kotikone/Desktop/Kuva 10.png/img]

Can it se seeing? The photo, I meen.
Millan

Post by Millan »

Millan wrote:Hi, it`s stormy wind, and perhaps that´s why the ospreys are not stayin on the nest longer. But now and then the are...
[img][/Users/kotikone/Desktop/Kuva 10.png/img]

Can it se seeing? The photo, I meen.

No, no, sorry :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

Obs_erver wrote:Hi ame!

Here is for you a map service:
http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/kart ... ool=siirra

Linjataulu= marine navigation equipment and osprey's nest are on the cape, down right.
Nest tower is a upper part of lining system, the other is to the northwest, on the island Korkiasaari:

http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/kart ... ra&lang=FI

That line (between two lights) is showing for vessels the right direction to follow waterway.
thanks a lot for finding the maps for me! :bow: :bow: you saved a lot of work for me before i even started :shake:
ame

Post by ame »

hi Millan :hi:
i'm testing how to post pictures.
let's see whether this works. :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

WAU it worked! :loveshower: and only the second try! :headroll:
i still don't know how to post pictures straight from my PC but i think it is also forbidden. Try this:
1. register in the Photobucket. (it's easy. just google it.) don't get overwhelmed by the advertisements in the P-bucket. the stuff we need is there underlined in small blue print :)
2. download your pictures in P-bucket ( i guess it is a good idea to organize then in some way in different albums; otherwise it will soon be a mess and you can't find anything there). there your pictures are waiting to be attached.
3. open this reply editor an P-bucket in another Mozilla (or something) window (use ctrl-T to open a new window). go to P-bucket and move the mouse pointer on the picture you want. below it will open a window of possible selections and the lowest is the 'img' option. click on that to select it, then copy it with ctrl-C, return to this message editor and paste the link here with ctrl-V. then the picture should appear in the message properly.
you can find more info in the Technical Questions' forum. i'm studying it.
Good luck! :wave:
Obs_erver

Post by Obs_erver »

That's helped me also, I use before Img-tool from message window, but this is aijaa.com's own offer:

I did'nt know that bird when I take that photo, but now I know. 8-)
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

20:59
Look at this fine fellow on the nest - he didn't stay long!! :D

Apparently this is a Lady Osprey - these markings are typical of the females!! :D
See posts below this:
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
ame

Post by ame »

hi Patsycat!
i think it is the female. at least this the bird that arrived later. (s)he has a large and dark collar/breast. the early bird's collar is much lighter and narrower. actually one could sa that he is wearing a V-neck and she has O-neck collar. :mrgreen:
Millan

Post by Millan »

Good morning!

A good mark of identification the female is, as I call it, the "bib", the more brown area under the "chin" (has they one?:)), and it is coming more downward. The bib is more larger than bucks, quite simply.

Patsycats pictuire shows it exellently!

And the female is stationary, she is an her place! :nod:
ame

Post by ame »

i call this 'bib' a collar, as in a blouse but it is exactly the same thing as your bib. :mrgreen:
i don't think birds have 'chins'? :puzzled: i'm not sure how these marks are called in English.... i'll see if i can find a book saying something about this :dunno:
... this is what i found in a quick survey:
a 'bib' is the area right below the bill or beak, like a male sparrow has it... i think one calls this area which is dark on ospreys the 'breast'. if the round coloured area in the neck is narrow and relatively up, it's called a 'breast band'.

but now i have to start working, see you later!
Millan

Post by Millan »

Yes, that name collar is probably the right one!
Bib indicate the meaning of the place. The bib is roundish after osprey has eating, and it is hollow when it is empty.

Lovely bird! :loveshower:
ame

Post by ame »

a HUGE gull visited the nest :shock:
it's so shiny white that it almost looks artificial, like a technical students' practical joke ('teekkarijäynä' in Finnish). :rotf:
does anyone recognize this gull? 'merilokki' = great black-backed gull (Larus marinus) or lesser black-backed gull (Larus fuscus)?? ... :puzzled: ....

WAIT a minute: there must be a mistake in the universal bird name translator = Multilingual Birdsearch Engine!! :shock: L. fuscus is 'selkälokki' in Finnish (it has the black back) and L. marinus is 'merilokki' with gray back. ('meri' is Finnish for 'mare' in latin and hence the name 'marinus'). please can anyone check this :dunno:
ame

Post by ame »

i'm still puzzled about the bird names in the translator.. here's a quote from the translator:
"
Larus marinus
Translations of the name.

English Great Black-backed Gull
Estonian Merikajakas
Finnish Merilokki
French Goéland marin
German Mantelmöwe
Icelandic Svartbakur
Norwegian Svartbak
"
Some of the names refer to a black-backed gull and some names to the sea/ocean = meri/ marinus. there has to be a mix-up somewhere ??? :dunno:
Millan

Post by Millan »

I am sorry, ame, I can´t "help" you with that question:)

But, now, ther supposed to be a photo, The ballerina-osprey! :blush:
Millan

Post by Millan »

O am working...
Yes :bounce: It is quite peasefully on the nest, but we all excited how it´s going forwards happyly!
Millan

Post by Millan »

Millan wrote: Yes!!!! It is quite peasefully on the nest, but we all excited how it´s going forwards happyly!
The nesting has not started exactly, so I see it!
ame

Post by ame »

congrat's Millan! you made it :wave: (post a pic, i mean).

it's been rather quiet on the nest lately (although i haven't been watching the cam much)
maybe the ospreys are feeding themselves to be in top shape, especially the female. they are among the birds with the longest migrations after all.
Liis

Post by Liis »

(April 20)
ame wrote:i'm still puzzled about the bird names in the translator..
Some of the names refer to a black-backed gull and some names to the sea/ocean = meri/ marinus. there has to be a mix-up somewhere ??? :dunno:
It doesn't really "translate" word by word, it tells what the birds are called in different languages. These names are different, people seem to notice different things about the birds.
So Herring Gull is Gråtrut (="grey gull", word translation) in Sweden, and Swedish Silltrut (="herring gull") is Lesser Black-backed Gull in England. No logic, it just is like that. :book:
The Birdname site is a wonderful resource, couldn't manage without it!
PS. And yes, Larus marinus is great blackbacked gull in England; its back can be very dark, nearly black
ame

Post by ame »

hi :wave: !
i took some picture series in the morning. you can go an have a look at them in the P-bucket in this address:
http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... o23042009/

it was a beautiful but cold morning with practically no wind at all. now the osprey was there and some construction work was done.

in the last picture there seem not to be anything there :mrgreen: but in the lower right corner of that picture you can see clearly the subject of a previous conversation: the metal strip. or maybe it is a metal chain :puzzled:

Return to “Osprey”