Osprey Nests in North America

Chimega

Re: Osprey Nests in North America

Post by Chimega »

3 young chicks in this Iowa, DNR nest. No sound.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Conservation/Osprey-Cam
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

This is the cam I should have posted, earlier. This is where the 3 chicks were blown off the nest in a terrible storm and died. :cry:

The cam is on a nature preserve in Dickinson County, Iowa, location is Okoboji, Iowa.

http://dickinsoncountyconservationboard ... ey-camera/

From this page.
Enjoy our live wildlife cameras streaming in Kenue Park, located near the Dickinson County Nature Center in Okoboji, Iowa. We will have two of our locate wildlife families showcased on this live feed, our famous Okoboji osprey family on the nest in the summer months (April to Sept) and our new trumpeter swan (October to March) pair on our local wetland.
I named the male and female, myself, since in the 3 years I have known of the cam and nest, no one has ever named them. i named the female Moonglow and the male I named, Star.

Here is Moonglow on the nest, earlier this spring and sitting on 3 eggs.

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Blog about what happened on the nest and the death of the 3 chicks. :cry:

http://dickinsoncountyconservationboard ... a-sad-day/
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Here is Star, the father, on the left, and Moonglow feeding their 3 chicks.

The last photo is the next day with Star brining a Koi to the nest, looking for his chicks. :cry:

Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Chimega
:cry:
Yes this is the camera that I remember you posted pics of and the link. It's not farm land as I thought but a nature preserve. I remember when they burned the grass on the right side of the pathway and you were worried.
I looked online last week and couldn't find the link, but I did find Wells Fargo cam.
That cam needs to zoom out a bit.
So sorry for the loss of all three Osplets... Wish they would have found living chicks when they searched, but they did find the bodies.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hi Cessie,

Yes, that was me posting the pix from 2014 about them burning the fields around the nest.

The nest they have is man made and on that nature preserve. This is part of the osprey reintroduction program for Iowa as osprey are endangered and were extinct in this state until recently. The Department Of Natural Resources brought some into the state along with hack towers to get them used to the area. There are only about 20 active osprey nests in the entire state which is probably bigger than the whole country of Estonia!

This is the area where I believe the nest is located. I know they have a large amount of water, right near the nest so it has to be on one of the lakes or the lake up there. I am so sad about all these raptors dying. :cry:

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

The Dunrovin Ranch ospreys also had a wind problem, yesterday. This was later in the afternoon. Harriet is the female and Hal is the male. There are 2 chicks and Harriet did a good job of protecting them but you could tell she was scared to pieces. Poor things! I thought they were all going over the side at some points. This is a long video, mainly because I kept going with it and believe it or not, there is another from right before this one but I didn't upload that video because it was just the wind blowing.

Here, after about half way through, Hal delivers a fish and I can't believe Harriet fed those chicks the fish during that wind. WOW!

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

OspreyChesap07/20/16- 16:57

Audrey fly in with fresh catched fish feeds Chessie

- by Uta Große -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgDfJzZD7Ws

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Chessie's First Flight - Chesapeake Conservancy:

Osprey Cam chick Chessie has been practicing and practicing.

Finally, on July 21 the little chick took to the air and left the nest for the first time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1HA3am ... e=youtu.be
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hog Island, Maine, USA 08-01-2016

Sad news. Bald Eagle flies in and snatches one of the chicks - the one named Spirit who was named for the 2 chicks a Bald Eagle took from the same nest, last year. :cry:

Fate of the chick who jumped before the Eagle is unknown at this time. None of the chicks had fledge, yet. Ground crews were unable to find it, so far, both on land or in the water. :cry:

Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Chimega wrote:Hog Island, Maine, USA 08-01-2016
Sad news. Bald Eagle flies in and snatches one of the chicks - the one named Spirit who was named for the 2 chicks a Bald Eagle took from the same nest, last year. :cry:
Fate of the chick who jumped before the Eagle is unknown at this time. None of the chicks had fledge, yet. Ground crews were unable to find it, so far, both on land or in the water. :cry:
I have just read that the chick which fledged came back to the nest in two days. Real happy end! :loveshower:

Uta

Post by Uta »

09/09/16

Update from the nest in Chesapeake/Maryland-nest Tom and Audrey.
Audrey have left the area for many weeks.Last seen on nest was :August17th in the morning.
Last seen from Chessie from me was Sept05th in the afternoon,then the cam was down for 1day.
The COM and CC have reported too that Chessie last seen was: Sept05th.
Only Tom is still in the area but the days are counted now and he will fly towards South too!
Audrey: 08/17/16 start migration
Chessie: 09/06/16 start migration
Tom ?
Audrey and Chessie08/16/16

08/17/16 08:08 Last picture from Audrey before she fly towards South
Chessie

Lot of intruder at last Tom defends the nest

Rare moments at last,whole family together
08/02/13
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Fort Myers, Florida

Uta

Post by Uta »

:wave:
We have a new situation in the Pinkshell Osprey Nest.
Looks like a newbie is on nest with Lucy all time.
So long the cam is now online.i have not seen Ricky :puzzled:
Lucy deliver her nice left over to the newbie.The newbie is bandet with yellow double ring on the right leg!
Why Lucy feeds the newbie, i have no answer. The behavior from the newbie is like a chick,calling for fish but newbie defends the nest and chased all other ospreys wich are to near on nest.

The yellow band
Uta

Post by Uta »

Here is a new OspreyCam in Florida
A live camera feed of the Osprey nest at the 4th Street, St Petersburg, FL branch of Achieva Credit Union.
Link to the cam: Cam have no audio stream
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=HOfkBwi3PlA
Biografie copied from the FB page for the cam:
In 2014 a beautiful osprey pair built a nest on top of the monument sign at the 4th Street location of Achieva Credit Union in St Petersburg, FL.
Following a storm, their nest and eggs, unfortunately, blew off the sign and was destroyed.

After they rebuilt their nest atop the sign, our friends from the Audubon Society suggested that the nest be relocated to provide a more safe and appropriate environment for the birds. Achieva had a 50-foot pole installed on the property and worked with the Audubon society to have the nest transported safely.

Our Achieva osprey are happily enjoying their new home and we are excite to watch them grow their family there!In 2014 a beautiful osprey pair built a nest on top of the monument sign at the 4th Street location of Achieva Credit Union in St Petersburg, FL.
Following a storm, their nest and eggs, unfortunately, blew off the sign and was destroyed.

12/11/16 Female in front ,male behind
nice fish gift for female

Male protected the nest
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Oh, I'm startled about this nest. It is directly on a road, amid from cars. :blush:
Not a good place for breeding. :bow:
But in our "world" gives it ever less breeding places for birds and all other animals.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Uta

Post by Uta »

You have so right but look at Hellgate.The nest ist to on highway or look at the bald eagles Harriet and M all are on the highway!
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Uta wrote:You have so right but look at Hellgate.The nest ist to on highway or look at the bald eagles Harriet and M all are on the highway!
Yes, Uta, it is such a big problem all over the world. :bow:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Pink Shell Beach

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

St. Petersburg, FL :nod: :nod:

Return to “Osprey”