Osprey Nests in North America

Solo

Re: Osprey Nests in North America

Post by Solo »

Cessie wrote: ... I have no idea what NBN is! Lol! :whistling: ...
:hi: Cessie,
The National Broadband Network (NBN) is an Australian national wholesale open-access data network project with both wired, and radio communication components being rolled out and operated by NBN Co Limited (nbn™). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... nd_Network)
:wave:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:wave: Solo!!
Thank you, for explaining the NBN!
I hope it gets hooked up fast, so that we can follow the Australian Osprey nest!
The camera is very clear and the chicks are adorable! Starting to get pin feathers.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Cessie wrote:(((Birdfriend))), I'm so sorry to read that Tommy passed! :cry:
I hope that they will find out the reason why he died!
I know that you followed this nest closely.
Cessie, hugs back.
Cessie wrote:I have found a new Osprey nest, in Australia!
It isn't Livestreaming yet. They are putting up great videos on YouTube and they have a Facebook page.
"Ospreys in Port Lincoln South Australia ".
Thank you, sweet family! :wave:
I must add these pics, Dad comes with breakfish. :rolleyes:

I guess we need a new topic here: Australian Osprey :D
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

:cry:

‎Rob Bierregaard‎ to Ospreys of Newfoundland & Labrador
10 hrs
Well, this is turning into the worst fall ever for our Ospreys. Layla is now off the air and Da Rock is late, so that doesn't look good. His cluster of points wasn't all that worrisome because there were a couple of points away from the cluster, and, as someone pointed out, birds will often find a favorite perch and return to it so we see a big cluster of points. On one of Belle's first trips, she was perched for over a day at one spot in a marsh in Haiti. I was convinced that she was dead and then on the next upload she was fine. So, unless Da Rock unexpectedly shows up again, we're down to 3 birds. If we're looking on the bright side, we know that Da Rock's radio was suspect, so maybe that one's a radio failure. The only good news is that Holly is safely across the Caribbean. She was aimed straight at Hurricane Irma, so if we were going to lose a bird this year, she was looking to be the one. Last year Leif spent a lot of time in Lewiston, ME, near Bates College. Now Borealis is in New Haven, CT, hanging out at my old school, Yale. Smart birds, those Newfoundlanders.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega :wave: :blush:

New update Shana from today:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Update:
5 October
Two more birds have stopped transmitting. Layla was moving south in Florida and stopped signalling from one hour to the next. She wasn't near any hazards, so this is a total mystery. Up in Newfoundland, Da Rock retreated to "The Rock," as Newfoundland is known after a second aborted start to his migration. He seemed to have settled down in a very remote area and then we lost his signal. His radio was suspect anyway (it had not been stored properly over the winter), that just may be a radio failure.
Only from Shana gives it a new transmitting from yesterday. :blush: But she is still at the same place how at 2. October. :puzzled:

No transmitting more from Holly and Borealis. :unsure:
seira

Post by seira »

Hog Island, Maine

October 7

UPDATE REGARDING BAILEY
Dear Friends of Bailey: I received a message this morning from the rehabilitators who are looking after Bailey. Several veterinarians and the rehabilitators did an assessment this past Thursday that included new x-rays. They have found that while the fracture in her right wing has healed some, there is still a gap and she will need to stay in rehabilitation for another month or two before they will know if her wing has healed sufficiently for her to be released. The deep wound from the eagle attack has healed. They are doing everything they can to give her a chance to return to the wild and she is fortunate to have such excellent care. Steve Kress
https://explore.org/livecams/ospreys/osprey-nest
balistar

Post by balistar »

seira wrote:Hog Island, Maine

October 7

UPDATE REGARDING BAILEY

Hello seira, thank you very much for this update about poor Bailey.
Probably in 2 month it will be too late for her migration. Now we have to wait again. Hope she will be completely recovered. :bow:
seira

Post by seira »

Hog Island, Maine

October 29

UPDATE REGARDING BAILEY
"X-rays demonstrate that Bailey’s wing continues to slowly heal, but the rehabilitators think that at the rate of healing, she will require another 2-3 months of continued care. Keeping her in Maine’s climate for that length of time would not be in her best interest. So, transfer to another rehabilitation facility in the southeastern U.S. is likely. Here she would be in a climate where other ospreys winter and where she could hopefully be released when she has completely healed. Here is a recent photo that shows she is looking good- benefiting from a diet of Atlantic herring. The rehabilitators join me in sending their thanks to the 45 people that have donated a total of $2,285 to Audubon for Bailey. These funds have been sent to the rehabilitators. Additional funds were also sent to Friends of Hog Island for Bailey and these funds will also help meet her medical and rehabilitation expenses. Thanks to everyone for remembering Bailey and for all of the good wishes.
My best, Steve Kress"
https://explore.org/livecams/ospreys/osprey-nest

balistar

Post by balistar »

seira :hi:
thank you very much for the update.
What an Odysee this poor osprey girl has gone through in her still so young life. Our beloved Bailey - isn't she overwhelming? And what a beauty !! Great picture. I wish her all the best for her future life and all angels with her, whereever she is.
Thanks to all this people, the rehabilitators, the crew at Hog Island, especially Steve Kress, for caring so phantastic for her.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Migration routes from Newfoundland ospreys

I think Borealis is no more alive, no movement more since weeks. Only his transmitter is still working, so sad. :cry:

Shanawdithit has achieved the North from South America, but since 28.October gives it no update from her transmitter. I have sorrow about her. :puzzled: :blush:
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Ft. Myers Pink Shell Beach Resort, Florida

http://pinkshellosprey.click2stream.com/

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Newfoundland tagged osprey

It gives a update from Holly. She is in Brazil. Sadly, still no transmitting from Shana. The last was from 25.10. :unsure: :blush:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Udate from Bailey
Hi. Osprey friends! Here is the latest update regarding Bailey, provided as usual by Steve Kress:
November 10, 2017

Dear Friends of Bailey
I am pleased to report that yesterday morning Bailey was transferred from Avian Haven in Maine to the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey in Maitland, Florida as their 799th raptor patient of the year. She continues to be in good hands as the Florida Center has treated more than 20,000 raptors.........
read more
https://explore.org/livecams/birds/osprey-nest

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Liz, thanks for the news from Bailey.

Finally, it gives a new transmitting from Borealis.

ImageFingers crossed for him!
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

My fear would be true...it is a further cruel message for me.
Shana (red) (16 Sep-28 Oct 2016, 9 Sep- 2017). Adult female from St. John's, Newfondland. Died in the Caribbean, just off the coast of Colombia.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Shana (red) (16 Sep-28 Oct 2016, 9 Sep- 2017). Adult female from St. John's, Newfondland. Died in the Caribbean, just off the coast of Colombia.
Birdfriend wrote:My fear would be true...it is a further cruel message for me. :cry: :cry: :cry:
It is hard year for these ospreys :cry: :bow:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Yes, it's a really disaster. Solo, thanks for your attentiveness in this topic. It shows us hard, how difficult it is for migration birds to survive their trip. :faint: :cry:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Thanks Birdfriend and Solo for the information.
All these lovely Ospreys......
It hurts so bad :cry: :cry: :cry:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

I found a video from Ospreys in Port Lincoln South Australia Earlier posts above on this side

I have never seen this level from aggression in osprey nests. :shock:
2017.11.15 - This video is not for the faint hearted!!! The eldest chick has decided it is time to rid the nest of the younger chick.
https://youtu.be/QGoMlElrg_o
Port_Lincoln Osprey
vor 3 Tagen
It was very sad but as we were sitting in the office and saw it happen we raced out to the barge in a dinghy and retrieved the youngest. We have taken him to the vet and apart from being very wet and sore and sorry for himself he is still going well. He hasn't really eaten yet but after all he went through yesterday that is understandable. Our Wildlife people are going to send him to Raptor Domain on Kangaroo Island at 7am Friday morning. We would love to keep him as he is only a few days from fledging but being a protected species we are not permitted to. Upsetting as it was he is still doing OK....There have been plenty of fish. so we don't think that is what caused it - just nature - the dominant one didn't want the other in the nest...

Return to “Osprey”