Technical Questions

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Bea

Re: Questions

Post by Bea »

Starling :hi:

Good to hear :thumbs: Watching many cams without switching is fun :shake:

Kalakotkas2 crashes sometimes, but I guess it is power-supply-thing, not on our computers.
Also Miks-cam shows sometimes bad connection and then there are pixeling coloured easter-eggs in the picture :)

Sometimes our internet connection here in our house is very much strained - my son playing internet games and me watching lots of livestream-cams *lol*
Some months ago there was a good offer from our internet provider to high up our capacity and since that we have (nearly) no more problems :)
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

NancyM wrote: Margossa, actually I cannot answer this question for you, but it has happened to me once or twice that the entire screen is bright green. I suspect it has something to do with poor transmission of the broadcast, or poor reception on your end.
Thank you very much.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Margossa

I have been thinking about your question -- I basically gave up vlc because I so often got green bits or fuzzy parts. I know almost nothing about computers but I suspect that vlc is sensitive to very small interruptions in the flow. I think my internet server is not very impressive.

--------------
about being able to play multiple cams at once or nor being able to -- that might be related to your computer. My old computer and GOM could play lots of cams -- but my internet browser locked up all the time. I often had to crash the browser and restart, but the cams kept running. My newer computer will not run more than one cam at a time. If I open two, for sure one will close/go black. Somehow, I bought the wrong computer. I did not have a lot of choice, since I needed one using windows xp as my photo editing program, a freeware one, was not yet available for Windows 7.
Anyhow now I have learned -- so the next time I go into to buy a computer I will tell them not only do I need plenty of RAM I want it to be capable of playing several cams at once.
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

Alice44
I think you are right.
I hope in future will be better with VLC.
Starling

Post by Starling »

I´ve tried to do some recordings with VLC media player. They are fine. But editing/ cutting them is a problem. :puzzled: I took "Free Video Cutter Joiner" program, which allows me to cut the film, but it makes the film quality worse. :puzzled: Any ideas/ hints? :unsure: :hi:

(First I tried to change the format from MP4 to WMV, but it also made the quality worse. :bash:)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I have not yet cut and worked at my films. To some extend they can be worked at in Youtube, I think. If you need only a part of it (once it happened to me that I forgot to stop the recording), it's just going with push the record button while playing the film, and when I had that accident described above, I was looking around and saw something called VideoLAN Movie Creator. But I had not looked into that. Maybe you would want to google for that and have a look?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

If you are using a PC with Windows, you will have (or should have) Windows Movie Maker. I load a video into that, drag it to the "storyboard" and trim it at the point I want (you can trim at either the start or the finish). then you "publish" your movie. You can also add titles, effects, etc.
Starling

Post by Starling »

Thanks for your help NancyM and Felis. :wave:

Windows movie maker doesn´t seem to accept MP4- format. And when I convert the format from MP4 to WMV the quality gets worse.
I tried also to put one film (MP4 from VLC) to youtube and the quality became worse again.

What ever I do the quality is not as good as I would like to see, so at this point I decided not to do (or publish) any films. :laugh:
Alex germany

Post by Alex germany »

@ Starling

You could try 'Video Pad Editor':
http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

It is freeware and a very powerful video editor and it can load .mp4 files.
I use it very much.

To make a good quality video with 'Video Pad' you can do it like this:
When you've finished editing your video then go to 'Files' and then choose 'Save Movie...' then a menue pops up. There you have to choose the output options.
Choose the output format that you like.
Below that options you find the 'Encoder Options' button and there is 'Video Compression Settings'. There you have to move the slider to higher quality if you want better output results (depends on which video codec you use - every codec has different menue settings).

But remember that more quality results in larger files. Too high quality settings can easily create files of some gigabytes and the computer needs much more time to calculate the movie.
Pontu viewer v2.2 2013 - Tool to look through the Pontu webcam picture archives.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Starling, is it possible to set your recorder to save the file as another file type?

ETA: I have the VLC player (recorder?) (but don't use it much) -there is a setting under tools> vlm configuration> stream output where you can select from a wide variety of file types. The mp4 setting seems to be the default (at the top of the list) but there are other options, such as avi or wmv.

I am not sure if I have the right program for what you are using as a recorder, but I have to think that you should be able to set the file format to record the way you want.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Hello to Looduskalender!

Could anyone be so kind to tell me how to record pictures and videos from the webcams with VLC player?

I installed the player but I am not able to see the cams with it.

I think I have to past the web-Adress into the "Netwerkstream" - but what adress?

Sorry for my very bad english.
Starling

Post by Starling »

Hello Marion! :hi:

You will find the addresses on every topics first page (rtsp:// -starting addresses).

For example [url]rtsp://193.40.133.138:80/live/karu[/url]

:hi: Alex germany, NancyM, thanks for your hints. I will try again later when I have time. :thumbs:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Marion :hi:

On the first side of each specific forum you will find the adresses of the cameras, for example Bear cam

rtsp://193.40.133.138:80/live/karu

Copy this adress, open your VLC-Player ..

... then go to "Medien" --- "Netzwerkstream öffnen" --- and then a new window pops up - go to "Netzwerk" - and paste the rtsp-adress in the line --- then click on "Wiedergabe" and the cam should work.

I hope this will work for you!

:wave:
Marion

Post by Marion »

thank you Bea

I did it and in works - a little

I hear the audio tone but don't see any pituce :shock:

..."Das Farbschema wurde in Vista Basis geändert"... ??? :bash:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Oups :shock:

I´ve no idea - usually you change your "Farbschema" by right side mouseclick on the desktop - "Anpassen" - "Fensterfarbe" - ... but this normally has nothing to do with VLC-Player .... :puzzled:

Perhaps go to Google and search for "VLC-Player, Vista, "Das Farbschema wurde in Vista Basis geändert" - maybe you find a solution ...
Marion

Post by Marion »

Yes, I'll try to find out and let you know :idea:
Marion

Post by Marion »

It works!

I changed "Beschleunigte Videoausgabe/Overlay" to "not" and than I had my first look in the Alataguse Woods by VLC :wave:

First bear-pic will follow :rolleyes: asap

Marion
Olga

Post by Olga »

:puzzled: What's up with youtube? I can't open my normal youtube page. If I click my link there I see just these words Http/1.1 Service Unavailable :slap:

Anyway, it is possible to run old uploaded videos here in LKF. But that's all, to upload a new video is not possible nor to edit etc. I get see the same: Http/1.1 Service Unavailable.

Is youtube down somehow, or is it just my page which has problem?
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Manu

Post by Manu »

:hi: Olga, here is the same problem with YouTube. I couldn't upload any video's. I've the same problems like you since today morning :bash: .
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I just tried and I get the same message! It's not you, it's YouTube! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection

Return to “Questions and Help”