Technical Questions

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Patsycat

Re: Questions

Post by Patsycat »

Has anyone downloaded the Silverlight software from the main Looduskalender site?
Do you know what it is for - and is it safe??

More importantly - will it help me watch the camera without the severe buffering I get at the moment??

Thank you in advance for any help!! :D
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
unp

Post by unp »

"What is Silverlight?
Silverlight is a new cross-browser, cross-platform implementation of the .NET Framework for building and delivering the next generation of media experiences and Rich Interactive Applications(RIA) for the web. It runs in all popular browsers, including Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Opera. The plugin required to run Silverlight is very small in size hence gets installed very quickly.

It is combination of different technolgoies into a single development platform that allows you to select tools and the programming language you want to use. Silverlight integrates seamlessly with your existing Javascript and ASP.NET AJAX code to complement functionality which you have already created.

Silverlight aims to compete with Adobe Flash and the presentation components of Ajax. It also competes with Sun Microsystems' JavaFX, which was launched a few days after Silverlight."

As I understand Silverlight should help see the image delivered by the cam in your browser. It should be as safe as any Microsoft product, such as Windows, WMP, etc. As to overcoming severe buffering - only trying can give an answer. I installed it once but don't know whether I'm using it.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Patsycat wrote:Has anyone downloaded the Silverlight software from the main Looduskalender site?
Do you know what it is for - and is it safe??

More importantly - will it help me watch the camera without the severe buffering I get at the moment??

Thank you in advance for any help!! :D
I hope someone can tell you. The only I know was when I asked my PC-fairy that he said that the Silverlight is 'not that useful' and gave an advice not to download it. But why was that I don't remember.

OK, unp! Now I remember that when I took Black Stork pictures, I almost always resized those pics bigger I chose to publish. Good to remember that the quality depends on the incoming video stream. For the moment my PC-fairy seems to be on vacation..
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

renandeli wrote:I hope someone can tell you. The only I know was when I asked my PC-fairy that he said that the Silverlight is 'not that useful' and gave an advice not to download it. But why was that I don't remember.
For the moment my PC-fairy seems to be on vacation..
Thank you for answering Renandeli - I will listen to your fairy!! :D
I don't like to put anything on my computer that I don't understand - or know what it is for!

BTW - that is very good of you to let your Fairy have some time off :D :whistling:
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I thought the same about Silverlight. It isn't necessary, for me, anyway. The webcams open straight into WMP - nothing more is needed.
Maybe it helps those who don't have WMP :dunno:
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Jo UK wrote:I thought the same about Silverlight. It isn't necessary, for me, anyway. The webcams open straight into WMP - nothing more is needed.
Maybe it helps those who don't have WMP :dunno:
Yes - it opens directly into WMP for me too - so perhaps I'll leave well alone!! :D

But it is buffering all the time - almost impossible to record!!
Not to worry - I'm sure it will be sorted in the fullness of time!! :D
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

As far as I know, Mr. LK is the one who can deal with it, if anyone can.
I wonder if the temperature affects it. Patsycat, do you remember one of the American cams that went wrong when the temp. dropped - can't recall which nest it was?
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Jo UK wrote:As far as I know, Mr. LK is the one who can deal with it, if anyone can.
I wonder if the temperature affects it. Patsycat, do you remember one of the American cams that went wrong when the temp. dropped - can't recall which nest it was?
I think it was the Maine cam - the Brilloon Biodiversity site!!
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
unp

Post by unp »

Good morning!
This was captured today using Silverlight, in a rather roundabout way -- Prt Scr to capture, paste to Paint, save as .jpg.
In many respects, Silverlight is similar to Flash. Many people watching Youtube don't know they're using Flash. When and if Microsoft launch or buy a site as popular as Youtube everybody will rush to install Silverlight. :puzzled:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

When there were two webcams to watch, I used to open one with WMP and another with Webcam Web Player(that´s for was Silverlight). So, it was possible to fallow to cams at the same time.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
edziks111

Post by edziks111 »

haw i can take photos from winter cam!? what program you use to watch cams?!
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

edziks111 wrote:haw i can take photos from winter cam!? what program you use to watch cams?!
There are a few ways to take pictures. First, tell us

1. are you watching the Windows Media Player version or the Silverlight version?

2. what is your computer system - Windows or Mac?

3. if Windows, is it XP or Vista or ???

Some programs to capture pictures work on XP but not Vista, etc.
edziks111

Post by edziks111 »

bociany wrote: There are a few ways to take pictures. First, tell us

1. are you watching the Windows Media Player version or the Silverlight version?

2. what is your computer system - Windows or Mac?

3. if Windows, is it XP or Vista or ???

Some programs to capture pictures work on XP but not Vista, etc.

Windows Media Player and i have XP
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

edziks111 wrote:Windows Media Player and i have XP
Many people like to use FRAPS. If you look at page 1 of this thread, you will some discussion about this software (Jo, renandeli and Martin all use it. I cannot make it work with Vista so I use another program called HyperSnap.)

There is a free version of FRAPS that you can download to see if you like it: http://www.fraps.com/download.php

FRAPS will also record videos. The free version has some limits - it will save the picture as a bitmap instead of jpg. You need jpg to "attach" pictures to your posts in this forum.
edziks111

Post by edziks111 »

bociany wrote: Many people like to use FRAPS. If you look at page 1 of this thread, you will some discussion about this software (Jo, renandeli and Martin all use it. I cannot make it work with Vista so I use another program called HyperSnap.)

There is a free version of FRAPS that you can download to see if you like it: http://www.fraps.com/download.php

FRAPS will also record videos. The free version has some limits - it will save the picture as a bitmap instead of jpg. You need jpg to "attach" pictures to your posts in this forum.

ok i will download but if i want watch widio i press on photo of winter cam and that open with media player! haw can i satart watsch with Fraps!? and have i can make sothink like this You need jpg to "attach" pictures to your posts in this forum
Olga

Post by Olga »

edziks111
ok i will download but if i want watch widio i press on photo of winter cam and that open with media player! haw can i satart watsch with Fraps!? and have i can make sothink like this You need jpg to "attach" pictures to your posts in this forum
Hi, edziks111

I hope Bociany were here! She knows better the FRAPS than me, and all words in English too. But I try to explain:

I have the free FRAPS-program. Windows Media Player is ok with it. And this is the first thing you need to know: You do not 'watch' videos with FRAPS, you watch WMP-video, and take the pics with FRAPS.

Also first download the FRAPS. There will become a little 'window' for it on your PC workdesk. Then click those 'Movies' and 'Screenshot' buttons. You need to choose the key buttons, one for pictures, the other one for video-clips, and then click Ok. Now they work. (I have the 'letter Ö' for pictures, and 'Å' for video-clips. The key-buttons may be what ever, &, ¤, z etc)... When I push the Ö - and the WMP is open and there is a video streem) FRAP takes a picture for every 'push'. When i push Å for 5 seconds, FRAPS takes video of five seconds, 15 second's push makes 15 second-video.. etc, and 30 seconds is maximum with 'free FRAPS'.

For the pictures you take with FRAPS, you have to make a 'folder'. Push the 'Screenshot'-button in FRAPS and make a new 'folder' where you want in your PC (I have them in my 'own pictures' in C\), and give it a name, push then OK. Now the fraps-screenshots go there in that folder. They are bmp-pictures. You can change them in paint-program to JPG. Just click the picture in the folder you want to put on the LK-page into 'paint', and save it JPG-formation. Now the LK-page will accept the pic to be added into your post.

But maybe Bociany is better to explain to you more and more exactly, be cause I do not know every needed word in English.. :puzzled:
Fraps_.JPG
Here is a picture from my FRAPS_picture folder.. Click the picture want to be attached 'right', choose 'paint'. Paint opens, and the picture is there. Now just save, but choose 'JPG' to it. Then just 'browse' the the JPG-picture into you your reply post.

The 'limit' of 'free-FRAPS' is that you have always to change the screenshot-pics from bmp to JPG - one by one you want to add in your post, and that the video-clips you make with fraps cannot be longer than 30 seconds (but you can make make them how many you want).
i meant pics, not 'pigs'!! :rotf: oh my..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

renandeli, your explanation is excellent! I have nothing to add.

If edziks has more questions, I am sure s/he will ask.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I am full of admiration for renandeli, who did that quite complicated explanation in a language not her own.

Gold medal to Renandeli for courage, going above and beyond the call of duty
and being a great forum member..
edziks111

Post by edziks111 »

thx renandeli!! but haw long i have free fraps!? and here is all OK?
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, I think you have made everything right there! My gratulations.. There is no time limit for FRAPS as far as know. I have had the same fraps for six months now (I see you have the updated version 2008, mine is from 2007!!.. it works..).

Some practise only and you will notice many things you can do, how to keep pics in order, resize, crop and cut pictures, etc.

One little thing: Some times when i want to take pics while am out of home i put my FRAPS to shoot automatically pictures..every 30 or 60 or something. Do not ever forget stop the automat, i have forgot it some times. And then I have had one thousand pics in the evening in one folder :mrgreen: but this was my problem.. ( i am not good in these things at all, but there have been here people, and there in Hancock too, who have given me advices, many times.)

If there are any problems, you can always make questions.
PS: When you practice FRAPS, and practice makes you master, I may come one day and ask advises from you :thumbs:

Return to “Questions and Help”