Technical Questions

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Arvi

Re: Questions

Post by Arvi »

edziks111 wrote:thx! naw will understand that tis problem isnt only at me! :banghead:
You can determine the cause of lag using traceroute tool. Into command prompt window (from Start>Run type cmd and click OK) type
tracert www.eenet.ee
, and you get a list of sites the signal is coming through with delays for every site.
(www.eenet.ee is nearest adress linked to camera I was able to find. Of-course it will be better you use the IP of server providing the stream, like tracert ###.###.###.###, but I don't have it).

The sites where lag will be hundreds of milliseconds will be to blame.
Olga

Post by Olga »

just testing how big pics are allowed to post
The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 600 pixels wide and 600 pixels high. The submitted image is 1200 pixels wide and 679 pixels high.
the rule has changed... :puzzled:
13-10_6.12.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

:dunno:
Sorry! Rule-maker's error. As there has been concern about the size of attached files, I cut it down - too much! Audio and video files are best hosted on a site such as photobucket or youtube, to save server space here.
New rule - images should be up to 800 px.
Done.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Search Looduskalender archives?
Can we do it, that is, look for what has been published in Looduskalender, say, last year? The search function seems only to work for the Forums, or have I missed something?
(And what I was looking for was why Tõnn is called Tõnn)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

You probably need to login to
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to where you will see login, then use your forum username and password. After that, you will see more items on the left of the page. There is a searchbox.
I often get a message that my avatar cannot be synced, but it makes no difference!
Liis

Post by Liis »

Yes, thanks, it works - never thought that that small sign-in box was so useful.
Answers seem to go back including 2008, maybe not the whole year (tested some early-spring queries, but there may have been nothing written). A little bit tricky search layout on the Advanced version, workable though.
Anyway, Tõnn is the Estonian folk version of St. Anthony, quite possibly merged with some pre-christian powers. Tõnisepäev, Tõnn's namesday, is on January 17th (when stairs should be scrubbed & pig's head or ears eaten ...). Let us hope he catches something nice to eat in El Hondo!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

If you have any problems with the LK site, ask our member looduskalender - he is the webmaster. There were problems with a server change-over a week or so back, and he had to do a lot of recovery work. No harm in asking though. He will know if something is no longer available.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

And we must wash the stairs on - Saturday? Oh, OK. I don't think pig's ears will be on the menu, though.
Brit

Post by Brit »

Just before I wanted to post a picture, but somehow it didn´t like the dimensions:

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image

Its 400 x 225.

Could you please tell me, what is the right size here in the Forum. Thank you from

Brit
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Brit, you can post attachments of 1024 x 800 pixels, 2Mb size.

I don't know why you had that "not possible" notice. If it persists, please let us know.
Brit

Post by Brit »

Thank you for your answer, Jo! Do I have to do anything else but put the picture between [img]...[/img] ? On the posted pictures is always "attachment" written, this puzzles me a little bit. Maybe I ought to do something different?
Have a nice day!
Brit
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Brit wrote:Thank you for your answer, Jo! Do I have to do anything else but put the picture between [img]...[/img] ? On the posted pictures is always "attachment" written, this puzzles me a little bit. Maybe I ought to do something different?
:wave: Brit,

There are two ways to post pictures in the forum. The easiest way is to "attach" it - that seems to be what most people are doing, and why you see that word above the picture. Pictures stored on your computer can be added in this way. There are some instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21

The other way is to upload your picture to a hosting site, like Photobucket or Flickr or Webshots or ... (I know there are others that the Europeans use). If you use a hosting site, then the site will give you a "code" to paste into a forum, and that is when you use the [img]...[/img] tags.

eta: when I see that message about "it is not possible to determine the dimensions " it usually means that the format is not correct. For example, your picture might be a .bmp Everything should work if the picture is .jpg

Let us know if this all helps (or not)
Brit

Post by Brit »

Hi bociany, thank you for the try. I don´t know, why it doesn´t works, I just tried again to put this picture, size 592x336 (I also tried with 400x225 = same:

http://storchenpflege.de/Brit/Bilder/ee ... leiber.jpg

between

but all I get is this: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

Maybe you can find out what´s wrong!? Thanks for trying!

What I just see, please look, what picture adress I put in and look what it shows .....!?
Have a nice day!
Brit
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Brit,

Sorry this is so frustrating for you.

I get the same message when I try to use the "IMG" tags with that picture (nice picture, by the way!)

It seems that the forum software here does not recognize that "address" as representing a picture, so it will not show an image.

All I can think of is that you can either:

1. post the link to your picture (http://storchenpflege.de/Brit/Bilder/ee ... leiber.jpg)

or
2. upload your pictures to a photo-hosting site that will give you the correct code to show the picture

or
3. "attach" the picture to your post ~ look at the instructions that are posted in the forum (I gave you the link in my first reply).
Brit

Post by Brit »

Thank you very much, bociany for taking your time to help solve my problem. I study that "attachment" link you gave me .... and technical freak I am (...not really!) maybe one day I´ll be successful ...

But funny, in the other forums, this address works... :puzzled: ...technic .....

hours later ...... finally I tried the attachement and this is what came out:
The extension doc is not allowed.

Sorry for making trouble...... :puzzled:
Have a nice day!
Brit
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Brit wrote:hours later ...... finally I tried the attachement and this is what came out:
The extension doc is not allowed.
"doc" is the extension for a Word document - perhaps you tried to attach the wrong item from your computer? The picture you showed me is extension "jpg", and that should be OK.
looduskalender
Site Admin

Post by looduskalender »

Brit wrote:Hi bociany, thank you for the try. I don´t know, why it doesn´t works, I just tried again to put this picture, size 592x336 (I also tried with 400x225 = same:

http://storchenpflege.de/Brit/Bilder/ee ... leiber.jpg

between

but all I get is this: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.
This is because our service provider disabled some functions that are unsecure. One of it can show images from another URLs but can run a malicious scripts also. I haven´t found secure solution for it yet.

The only solution, what is not perfect, is to remove restrictions for image size from other URL-s. If someone links to a too large image, the layout may be broken. If people use reasonable sized images, I can remove image size restrictions for URL-s for a while. As You see, reasonable sized images are working now, from this moment:

Rgds,
Kaido
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thak you Kaido, for the information, and for finding a solution!
Brit

Post by Brit »

Thanks to bociany I finally was able to post it as attachment.

I was only puzzled, because until now I never had problems to post the uploaded pictures in between in other forums. Would be very nice, if there could be a solution, Kaido. Thank you and have a nice Sunday!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have a nice day!
Brit
caysa

Post by caysa »

What does this mean?

Return to “Questions and Help”