Technical Questions

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

NancyM
Site Admin

Re: Questions

Post by NancyM »

ame, do you think it was the "time delay" in getting a new account approved as mentioned? Or perhaps your timing was to blame, since YT seemed to be in the middle of changing things around? Today I read something about the sign-in procedures changing .... I sign in and tell my browser to remember my password (it sets a cookie ...LOL).

I am glad my instructions helped - did you watch the sample video? I love it so much I watch it once a day :blush:
Gisa

Post by Gisa »

In RealPlayer, where the Direct Stream runs, I click on "Download this video". On the Web "www.myvideo.de" I upload the video. If the video is uploaded done, must appear in the video right, two "left". Once a "permanent link" and even "link in the player" a mark of it. This marked "link" then you copy purely in your forum post.
Gisa
Liebe Grüße von
Gisa
ame

Post by ame »

bociany wrote:ame, do you think it was the "time delay" in getting a new account approved as mentioned? Or perhaps your timing was to blame, since YT seemed to be in the middle of changing things around? Today I read something about the sign-in procedures changing .... I sign in and tell my browser to remember my password (it sets a cookie ...LOL).

I am glad my instructions helped - did you watch the sample video? I love it so much I watch it once a day :blush:
yes, i did see the video. it's whooping swans, isn't it? the are lovely (but then i always remember that they can be rather mean if they feel they are threatened in any way... mute swans are even worse. they may attack people and beat and bite...)

there might have been some extra time delay because of the clock-shift in addition to the delays that were caused due to stupid mistakes made by me... for example i gave them wrong telephone number for the account verification. :mrgreen: i didn't remember my own number! :rotf:

but eventually i don't exactly know how i managed to get there... by patiently retrying numerous times i suppose. my husband said after-wards that he was surprised about how patiently and calmly i kept on trying. usually if not everything goes according to my pleasing with the computer i swear like a sailor or a lumberjack, but this time i hardly cursed at all.... 8-) :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

Gisa wrote:In RealPlayer, where the Direct Stream runs, I click on "Download this video". On the Web "www.myvideo.de" I upload the video. If the video is uploaded done, must appear in the video right, two "left". Once a "permanent link" and even "link in the player" a mark of it. This marked "link" then you copy purely in your forum post.
Gisa
Gisa, du kannst diese information auch in Deutsch hier schreiben, so dass andere Deutsch-sprechende menschen die leicht anwenden können. für uns viele ist das cumputer an sich sehr schwer zu anwänden, und vielleicth in einem fremden sprache ist es ganz unmöglich.

eigentlich denke ich das die "Computer"-sprache eine fremde sprache für die meisten von uns ist, obwohl die meisten wörte bekannt aussiehte, nicht war...

and the same in English: we can post here in the Technical department instructions of how to make screencaptures, record videos and how to post them in our own languages, too, and not just in English. computers as themselves are often quite difficult enough to use even in our own languages, and in a foreign language it may be quite impossible.

actually i think that the Computerish is a foreign language to most of us, even though most of the words might look familiar to us...
:gathering:
ame

Post by ame »

Hi Fleur! :hi:
did i understand correctly Fleur's post up there that Realplayer can be used for everything: watching livestream, screencapturing still-pictures, recording video AND editing videos?? :dunno:
if it can, it would be an ideal tool for everything.... at the moment i have all sorts of players for different purposes and that's not very practical nor clever, i think...
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

sorry Ame.
I also use several programs :

--Real player for the movies.

--Gadwin : to make the print screen ( http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/ )

-- and photofiltre : for photo editing
( http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/ )

** I seek only one free converter to the movies to convert from RM to AVI ** :peek:
ame

Post by ame »

ok Thanks, Fleur! :wave:
have i understood correctly that Fraps can do at least recording video in addition to screencapturing? but can it be used for editing videos, too?
is there are one single program that could be used for all these tricks?

i have another question concerning Yuotube: are there or actually what are the limitations there: how much storage space is allowed and how much 'bandwidth' is allowed there? i found limitations of how much can be uploaded during on sign-in-session, but what are over-all limits? i wouldn't want to be banned from there, too, because of exeeding limits like the way i had difficulties with the P-bucket... i went pro there, i couldn't stand the stress and limits... :mrgreen:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

ame, I use Fraps, and it is great for capturing screenshots and video, but is is not an editing program.
http://www.fraps.com/

You Tube has a Help section that should answer your questions about account limitations. Have you read there?

As far as I know, there is a limit to the file size and length in minutes of each video, but not the number:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/b ... swer=55747
YouTube › Help articles › Uploading › Promoting Videos › Unlimited uploading
Promoting Videos: Unlimited uploading

We don't have any limit for the number of videos you can upload, and don't foresee adding a ceiling anytime in the future. So start making videos and upload as many as you'd like—it's more content for the whole YouTube community to enjoy!
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

sadly I do not use fraps, it clashes with other programs.

I have no limit to discover, I do not upload many videos to youtube.
Only now and then, and, if I had enough time to do :laugh:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Fleur wrote:sadly I do not use fraps, it clashes with other programs.

I have no limit to discover, I do not upload many videos to youtube.
Only now and then, and, if I had enough time to do :laugh:
Fleur,the only thing I know about Youtube is a limit of 10 mins. :hi:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

macdoum wrote: Fleur,the only thing I know about Youtube is a limit of 10 mins. :hi:
ok, I did not know that. I learned something. thanks :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

thank you all for the info! :hi:
i also found the time limit of 10 minutes/video and there was also a maximum number of uploads per session, but i didn't find more information (i've got to admit that i didn't look for it for a long time...)

about editing the videos i'm not very demanding: i think cutting extra stuff from the end and beginning would do (like cropping a picture, you know.. :rolleyes: ) i did that kind of thing with the Windows Movie Maker and the result was a very large and clumsy file... that wasn't very practical.

Youtube itself is easily manageable and fast i think, almost easier to handle than P-bucket for example (once i managed to get in there... :mrgreen: )
Sovenki

Post by Sovenki »

How can to partially quote a message? I did not find the button. Sometimes need to cite only a few words from a large message :blush:
pity that have not seen real name, sex and age of members of the forum.
Maria/
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Hello, Maria. If you use the quote button, it puts the whole message in (as you know). You can either
(1) edit it and just keep the part you want or
(2) instead of using the quote button, copy and paste the words you want and insert them between [ quote] xx [/quote] tags in the reply box and then type in the poster's name to indicate whom you are quoting.

example:

Maria wrote:
How can to partially quote a message?

regards,
Nancy
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

a question
my windows movie maker asks for a codec when I use videos of real player. (The files are RV)
I can not edit movies with movie maker.
only record, and cut and paste with realplayer

who know what to do or where I can get away codec?
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Hi Fleur,

It has been a few months since I tried to do anything with video from Real Player. But, what I remember is that a couple of years ago, Real Player recorded in some format (.ivr ??) that could not be converted at all. Then they made some changes to the software and if you are using the latest version of Real Player software, you can choose to covert the video to another format ( like wmv). You will then be able to edit it with Windows Movie Maker.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

bociany wrote:Hi Fleur,

It has been a few months since I tried to do anything with video from Real Player. But, what I remember is that a couple of years ago, Real Player recorded in some format (.ivr ??) that could not be converted at all. Then they made some changes to the software and if you are using the latest version of Real Player software, you can choose to covert the video to another format ( like wmv). You will then be able to edit it with Windows Movie Maker.
Ok. Thank you for the reply.
I'll try :laugh:

---I've tried.
The convert worked well. ( WMV )
But one way or another, it will not work with windows movie maker.
between two movies, I can not put transition, because then the movie is black :puzzled:

I did it with Picasa, but unfortunately not a nice movie :blush:
I put him into the seal topic.

Thanks very much for the help.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

There was in WtE topic a question about Pontu images.
We have one physical system for both stream and still Pontu images. In the Mobotix camera there is a possibility that we can save simultaneously save still images and produce a stream. The chacteristics of both are possible to change in quite wide range - resolution, dimensions of window, cropping of window, time between still images, etc.
Technical Urmas from EENet makes optimal regulation for available source, e.g. there is not reason to produce great number of images at dark time or window of stream should be optimal for majority of observers.
Saving of Pontu images are easiest to start at certain time and stop also, but daytime is changing... We have not possibility to be every day on watch and act to every problem immediately, therefore there are missing some aspects. Usually caps appear during problems in overall system, no transmission means no stream and no still images in Pontu server (exception could be).
Actually Pontu images build quite a big folders in server and to manage with these is not easy work, even for profs... beside a everyday work.

But every suggestion is very useful for us to build better results!
ame

Post by ame »

thank you Urmas for the explanation! :bow:
there's still one question: where does the name "Pontu" come from? does it mean anything particular? not that it's important, but i'm just curious... :whistling:
visitor

Post by visitor »

Not sure why Urmas has chosen this name... :puzzled: :laugh: ...

As much as I know, Pontu is a dog name.
Sometimes it is used to describe a big and friendly dog, maybe not the most beautiful, but nice and plausible.

When I went to school (it was a LONG time ago! :blush: ) we used to call our admirers/boyfriends "my pontu"... :rotf:
a storkaholic

Return to “Questions and Help”