Technical Questions

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Questions

Post by Felis silvestris »

Good - it's working, though it's not working right now.
I have also looked in vain for those "protocols", but as long as it is opening ...
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
unp

Post by unp »

Felis silvestris wrote: ... mine is, what else, all in German (and I can't change it, tried that earlier for explaining).
If you go to "Extras -> Einstellungen (Ctrl+P) -> Interface -> Sprache/Menuesprache: Automatisch" and open the drop-down menu you can select the language that you need. After that you will have to close VLC and start it again for the changes to take effect.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Thanks, that worked! I remember I searched for a longer time last year for such settings! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

ame

Post by ame »

this is not an urgent problem but it has appeared for some time now. when i open the members list wishing to look up a member whose name begins with let's say K the box where to choose the letters doesn't accept anything. what's the matter? i'v marked it here with the arrow. it does not accept any typing there. it used to work maybe a year ago...
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

You're right Ame, it doesn't work.

There are still a few bugs.
Previously when I had read a message, disappeared the green box.
Now sometimes standing still.

I cleared the cookies again in the forum, as I recently have given the tip.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

ame, that bug happened at the time of the last upgrade. It seems that webmaster has not been able to fix it.
Sorry.
However, if you go to the far right of the page, on the same level you can see
Find a member. Click that and you can input a username to access the profile.
ame

Post by ame »

ahaa! that works! if i write "K*" and then click "search" it gives me all members whose names begin with K. thank you! :thumbs:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Tip for Screencast-o-Matic to make video recordings (screencast-o-matic.com)--

If you are using Screencast-o-Matic, to be sure you record only the sounds from the video feed (& not the room around you), be sure that you have turned OFF the microphone function of your computer. This prevents sounds from the room (TV, vacuum cleaner, conversations, etc.) from recording onto the video movie you are making. Also, make sure to check your volume mixer (on Windows, right-click on the little speaker icon in the right-side task tray) & be sure the "screen recorder" function is turned up high enough. "Screen recorder" will show up in the volume mixer after you have started up the Screencast-o-Matic program.
Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Tonight Jo spoke of RTMPDUMP uses for recording. I found this;

http://all-streaming-media.com/record-v ... cation.htm

There may be other references ? :dunno:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:Tonight Jo spoke of RTMPDUMP uses for recording. I found this;

http://all-streaming-media.com/record-v ... cation.htm

There may be other references ? :dunno:
I was going to copy your other post here, but ...

I am not sure I understand anything, but I might be forced to try
ame

Post by ame »

from page 3 in LSE Tuuli and Remo-thread:
Bubo wrote: Well, I'm using this program: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26&start=300
I learn how to work with it, and now it's very easy to take snapshots. But i don't know how long it will work for me, I think this program isn't free and now i'm using free trial. :unsure:
And my PC is old, too. It's already 10 years!
Felis silvestris wrote:Is it the one Ame also wrote about and said she is not that content with it?....
i bought and used the Debut-video capture program which is available free for a trial period of two or three weeks so i think Bubo can't use the free version for a long time either...

the positive sides of the program were that i could take both snapshots and record video with the same program without any extra editing. i could also make it name the pictures and videos in the way i wanted (with a timestamp and the name of the source Nova) and save them in a default file of my wish.

but i'm not quite happy with it because it had some rather serious drawbacks. it's so "heavy" to use: my PC runs steaming hot when it is on and what is much worse: i can't watch more than one camera at the same time! if i try they begin to freeze and gradually stop and crash one by one.
also the window which i wanted to record or take pictures from has to be on the desktop as a whole. it could not be pushed aside like one can even minimize the VLC-window while it is recording.
if i made the window smaller the pictures will be smaller in size accordingly. increasing the window size didn't improve picture quality (i guess that the number of pixels remains the same). i had to turn all other sounds off, or they were recorded, too (another reason why i could not in practise watch other cams at the same time as nova was on.)
i think that the Debut can record only one video at a time, while i can have several VLCs open at the same time and record with all of them plus i can play an earlier recording with another VLC! the videos recorded with Debut could be played with VLC for taking snapshots but not for re-recording (which i often do as a primitive editing-trick).
when hitting the "start recording"- or "take a snapshot"-button i had to have the Debut-window active (it could be pushed aside). i made a lot of mistakes when i forgot that...

on the whole i had to be so careful and concentrated when i was working with Debut that i almost invariable had a headache after a busy eagle-day at Nova! :slap:
VLC is so much more simple and versatile to use... too baD if they now have a problem with the snapshot-function. it reminDs me of my D-Days... :mrgreen:
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

I'm already uninstaled Debut. Now I'm taking snaps with Fraps, because it's quality better than pictures taken with VLC. Also Fraps can take pictures in every 1 second, i just click "-" button and it takes pictures.
Thank you Ame for so many work with programs, it's very helpful!
Bubo Bubo
ame

Post by ame »

i'm glad if i can be of assistance to anyone! :shake:

i had a look at the RTMPDUMP-page which macdoum found for us and tried to read what there was and tried to find instructions for its use...
it didn't take too long before i began to feel dizzy and then i closed it before i got headache.... :dunno:
i really hope that someone finds out about it before we have to begin to learn how to use it... :slap:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

ame wrote:i'm glad if i can be of assistance to anyone! :shake:

i had a look at the RTMPDUMP-page which macdoum found for us and tried to read what there was and tried to find instructions for its use...
it didn't take too long before i began to feel dizzy and then i closed it before i got headache.... :dunno:
i really hope that someone finds out about it before we have to begin to learn how to use it... :slap:
I am laughing and laughing. I closed it quicker than that, with the same thoughts.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:slap: Same here! i generally can help myself, but ... :shock:
Let's hope the stream stays in VLC! :unsure: :bow:

unp

Post by unp »

RTMPExplorer makes using rtmpdump somewhat easier, it finds the stream address from the video site address and feeds it to rtmpdump. Advice on how to use it is on this page - http://all-streaming-media.com/record-v ... indows.htm
ame

Post by ame »

alice44 wrote: I am laughing and laughing. I closed it quicker than that, with the same thoughts.
it's no laughing matter, Alice. i felt dizzy, honestly. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

seriously:
i had a look at the link which unp posted. the text there looked more like English, but i'm afraid it doesn't really give the answers we are looking for. i think our problem is not how to find the source which we want to record: it'll on LK-board of front page or somewhere what we know.
(thank you unp anyway! :hi: )

i think the important questions for which we need answers are the following (in rough order of importance):
- will it allow us to watch many cameras at the same time? (provided that the data transmission capacity what we have allows it)
- is it possible to both record video and take snapshots at the same time?
- is it possible to do both of the above with just single push-button-functions, with no other extra tricks?
- is it possible to do both of the above from multiple streams at the same time?
- is it possible to make the program automatically name the pictures and videos in the way that we happen to wish (for example with time stamp or something like that with no other time-consuming tricks) and save the pictures and videos in a folder that we have chosen beforehand?
-is it possible to choose the format of the product data files (as for pictures jpg/png...)

then some of us wish to be able to edit their videos afterwards. i think that the question for which they would like to have answer to is:
- is it possible to edit the captured video with the editing program of my choice?
unp

Post by unp »

ame wrote: ... but i'm afraid it doesn't really give the answers we are looking for. i think our problem is not how to find the source which we want to record: it'll on LK-board of front page or somewhere what we know...
You are right. Since the stream address is known using RTMPExplorer may be superfluous or cumbersome. Using shortcuts would be faster.

As to the questions I understand that rtmpdump only dumps (which is a great deal because rtmp stream is not supposed to be easily captured locally) the stream to a file on the hard disk while ffmpeg can also place the stream in a new container (but also retain .flv). All the rest has to be done manually.

Generally, it seems that, with shortcuts, rtmpdump and ffmpeg can be started very quickly when necessary (another possibility would be to record the day in whole or in portions and select desired scenes later) so it's possible to download two streams at a time unless there is a way to start multiple instances of either.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Good morning!

I have a big problem recording stream with VLC player. :(

In every case when I recorded a stream with VLC player, and after it I opened the recorded stream with a video editor, I found that the lenghts of image and sound bands are not the same, which means if you split a part of your recording, you wont hear the correct sound on it.
The sound band is shorter in every time then image band. :(

If I open another video file with the same video editor it is correct.
This record was made with Replayer AV from the old stream format.

Replay AV is unable to record the new stream format :(
"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I have used another product from Applian - it records anything inside the markers that you set and captures the sound as well. It will record videos that the Replay AV program will not.

I think you can try it out for free before purchasing.
http://applian.com/replay-video-capture/

Return to “Questions and Help”