Technical Questions

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

unp

Re: Questions

Post by unp »

Exactly so, different countries in the lower part of the list on different dates (I quoted them from memory but am rather sure that all countries mentioned appeared on the list at least once). Until some time recently, Alexa provided figures for six (if not eight) countries at a time as opposed to four countries currently.
As to numbers of visitors, http://siteanalytics.compete.com/looduskalender.ee/ shows that in June LK's audience was not much below its peak in February.
Liis

Post by Liis »

unp wrote: As to numbers of visitors, http://siteanalytics.compete.com/looduskalender.ee/ shows that in June LK's audience was not much below its peak in February.
Thanks!
And thanks for the Siteanalytics site - only ( sorry, provide an answer, get 10 questions in return ...) - the relation between visitors and visits numbers, given the definitions of each on the site, seems curious: those 1804 visitors should reasonably produce quite a lot more than the stated 1986 visits.
Ah, well, the troubles with numbers, labels & definitions.
Sorry, admins., this is probably off-topic, so please feel free to move somewhere else.
unp

Post by unp »

Those figures would be better taken only as a very rough indication of trends. (I mean if they say the audience has grown it has most probably in fact grown rather than declined.) It's hardly possible to find out how they relate to each other or to reality. Generally, site metrics seem to be much like translation quality metrics or the accuracy of machine translations. Or alchemy. Their merit is that they are available (even if as a sample of a paid service in many cases).
Liis

Post by Liis »

unp wrote:Those figures would be better taken only as a very rough indication of trends. (I mean if they say the audience has grown it has most probably in fact grown rather than declined.) It's hardly possible to find out how they relate to each other or to reality. Generally, site metrics seem to be much like translation quality metrics or the accuracy of machine translations. Or alchemy. Their merit is that they are available (even if as a sample of a paid service in many cases).
Yes, agree to all of the above, and thanks once more for the URLs.
Sitenanalytic's only 1986 visits by the 1804 unique monthly visitors seemed however to be outside even the "very rough indication" qualification. Quite likely the definition and calculation of "visits" has more to it than said in the available site texts.
Liis

Post by Liis »

The list of spiders and bots walking the forum has really grown impressively :unsure:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis wrote:The list of spiders and bots walking the forum has really grown impressively :unsure:
Does this mean it has gained more readers and more significance?
Liis

Post by Liis »

Your guess is as good - or better! - than mine, Alice!
Last midnight all the "who is online" line was filled with bots and other crawlies -
business and information created on the Internet from the Internet and about the Internet.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Maybe we just have lots of interesting topics that the bots and syders want to know about :mrgreen:

Seriously, I really don't know, but I think the more hits and links this forum has, the more often the "crawlers" check it out.
Liis

Post by Liis »

A simple-minded question:
the seal cam picture often freezes on my laptop. Slightly better on the mini-notebook (mobile broadband connection). Quite OK at work.

Does that suggest that the laptop connection is the bottleneck?
Does the seal cam, but not others, freeze because it has the most mobile pic (stormy sea etc)?

Laptop on cable broadband, skimpiest MB rate, but also oldest computer.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Liis, my simpleminded answer would be that if the picture is fine on one computer but stuttering on the other, it would be related to the "skimpy MB rate" input to your computer rather than the cam itself.
Liis

Post by Liis »

bociany wrote:Liis, my simpleminded answer would be that if the picture is fine on one computer but stuttering on the other, it would be related to the "skimpy MB rate" input to your computer rather than the cam itself.
Yes, largely so, and certainly no blame at all on the cam.
But early mornings the frozen periods are much shorter. So my guess is that in mornings - with less competing traffic - I actually get my whole MB rate from my provider. :mrgreen:
Well, better pay up for more MBs and hope to get them.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Liis wrote: So my guess is that in mornings - with less competing traffic - I actually get my whole MB rate from my provider. :mrgreen:
That would be my understanding, also.

Lately when I have looked at YouTube videos, they start & stop and generally are not very smooth. I thought it was the same problem of not enough bandwidth on my end, but someone told me they thought it was because YouTube had so much traffic that their servers were overloaded. I suppose that is a different problem, or a twist on the issue of who's got the bandwidth, but ....

Good Luck :dunno:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Ame asked this question on another topic. Can someone give best advice? I know only about Fraps.

and please, can someone advice a simple way to capture both video and still pictures with one and same program? :puzzled: - inquired by a computer/media-challenged old-fart
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo UK wrote:Ame asked this question on another topic. Can someone give best advice? I know only about Fraps.

and please, can someone advice a simple way to capture both video and still pictures with one and same program? :puzzled: - inquired by a computer/media-challenged old-fart
:shock:
I too am curious about video and it doesn't even have to be an all in one and I am computer challenged and my computer is challenged.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

alice44 wrote: :shock:
I too am curious about video and it doesn't even have to be an all in one and I am computer challenged and my computer is challenged.
I would really like to help, but I use different programs.
I do not know if that is the intention of ame?
ame

Post by ame »

i thought that it would be simplest if it were one and the same program that could be used for both taking the screen captures and recording video... you know, like just like pushing two different buttons for each operation. otherwise it's too easy get mixed-up and make errors...

i'm already in a pickle as i have GOM playing in one window, Firefox with at least Photobucket, dictionary and LK open in another window, plus i'm using Filemanager and Windows Photogallery in their own windows, trying to control and rename the captures i've clicked (it's way too easy with GOM :slap: ) in a third and fourth windows.... :faint:
ame

Post by ame »

alice44 wrote: :shock:
:rotf: :rotf:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I thought I would be clever and make a video, using Fraps. I pressed F9, the video button for Fraps, and recorded about one minute at the eagle feeding ground. Now I am uploading it into bucket. After nearly 10 minutes the file is 9% transferred.
There used to be a file compression program. Does anyone know what it is?
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

As Jo just mentioned. FRAPS can be used to make both still pictures (screencaptures) and video. There are some limits to what video streams it will capture, but should work with the LK cameras.

Jo, check to see which format you are saving the video, and also check the file size. Perhaps the upload time is related to computer/internet issues, not to the file itself. There is more than one program available to compress or convert video files.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I went away and did many other things while I was waiting for the video to uplead to bucket. Finally, here it is - about 25 seconds of ravens at the eagle cam this morning.
So Fraps will do it all right, but it does need a short-cut, somehow.
Bociany, I will check the file format.

Return to “Questions and Help”