Recording videos from web cams - Please post your favourite

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Fleur

Re: Recording videos from web cams - Please post your favour

Post by Fleur »

Liz01 wrote: @Liz, the last one can only one of the time?
but the VLC Player doesn't work with youTube :faint:[/quote]

Nope, :cry:

I use Replay Video Capture, the paid version for the cams like ....Goshawk nest in Riga 2015/2016
unp

Post by unp »

Liz01 wrote:i can not find it. :puzzled:
It may be a new option and you may need to update PotPlayer.
PotPlayer (64-Bit) (Version: 1.6.63840, Product Date: Oct 28 2016 14:29:23) has three options for Multiple instances:
- Disable: Play files in existing PotPlayer instance
- Enable: Allow more than one PotPlayer instance
- Disable: Add files to playlist of existing PotPlayer instance
The second option, when selected, allows to start another instance and open a new URL in it.
ame

Post by ame »

unp wrote::D PotPlayer does allow multiple instances
Preferences -> General: General Settings -> Multiple instances: Disable... / Enable: Allow more than one PotPlayer instance / Disable...
Liz01 wrote:...hmmmm!
i can not find it. :puzzled:
I find multible instances and disable "play Files in existing instance" also disable Playlist in existing instance

but not "Allow more than one PotPlayer instance"
in my Potplayer 'Multiple instances' is on the 5th line in Preferences -> General. you have the text in German but this is how it looks in English:

when i started it was the default setting in the player (i think; i changed some things in the settings but probably not this one). i can play many Potplayers at the same time. it's practical: i can do many things at the same time. ('multitask' like in Masterchef Australia the cooks do two different things with either hand :mrgreen: )
i only must not get confused with the Stream Recorder and Video Recorder windows. 8-)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame, thank you!
I do not have this possibility! maybe I have to to install 64 bit version and english language?
in the moment i use the 32 bit version in german language. :puzzled:

It is important for me only from March. If I also want to see black stork and the wte nest.
ame

Post by ame »

try the 64-bit German version first. :nod:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

OK :laugh:
unp

Post by unp »

:puzzled: I was intrigued as to what the reason for the multiple instances problem might be.
The German version of the 64-Bit PotPlayer instead of "Enable: Allow more than one PotPlayer instance" reads "Aktivieren: Nur eine PotPlayer-Instanz erlauben".
So it seems to be a case of 'lost in translation' :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

The 64 bit version is not available in German :shake:
So I installed this version additionally.
The potplayer 64 bit automatically selected the German language. :laugh:
Then I have the 32 bit version uninstalled.

@unp
Yes, the translation seems somewhat peculiar. :mrgreen: Now it works with me also.

Thanks to you and Ame :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

i have now used the Potplayer for a few weeks and i have learned some new things.
i think now that in recording live stream from the web it is more useful to choose "Record Video" instead of "Record Stream". first i thought that i had to use Record Stream but it's not necessary. one gets the same result both ways but in "Record Video" one can choose file format. in "Record Stream" only ts-format is available. mkv-format is recommended in Video Recorder and files of this format can be cut with the Solveig AVI trimmer while ts-files cannot. also Youtube accepts clips in mkv-format and i don't think that the processing of them takes any longer than avi- or mp4-format.

the Consecutive Image Capturer (click K and select this from the drop-down menu) is practical in taking snapshots from a video and getting the best shots in one run of a video. in VLC that took a long time when one had to play the video frame by frame and take a picture of each one separately and the select the best shots.

i have selected a large total number of captures taken at short time intervals (100 ms = 0.1 s) and i store them in a certain folder with an easy filename prefix so that the file name contains system date and time. then i play the video in slow motion (clicking X many times will make the replay slower and slower; clicking C again and again will make replay faster). then i click Start on the Image Capturer and it will take pictures about frame by frame. then i go to the storage folder and view the pictures and select and rename (according camera time) the best pictures for permanent storage. or if i want to make a gif i just mark the start and end pictures and delete unwanted pictures between them. the only drawback in this method is that even with a fairly small number of captures per 'start capturing' (10 - 20) one soon gets a huge mass of nearly identical pictures. so it is necessary to clean the picture storage often enough, otherwise one may get in trouble... 8-)

edit: for taking pictures for making gifs it is even easier to take a fairly large number (100 - 200) snapshots frame by frame. then it is not necessary to play the video in slow motion, but the player will play the video frame by frame by itself. one should click the start button a second or two before the event begins. this will allow the P-player time to react to the command.
ame

Post by ame »

i have tried to open the bird feeder camera toidumaja with VLC but there is something wrong with the link which is on the LK-page where camera can be seen. it will not start. i just get a long error list in red unfriendly letters. it seems to be the same with the deer camera hirv, too. it will not open with VLC. :puzzled:
the links in the LK page don't work. the links used to be rtsp but now they have been changed to rtmp.

i have tried all kinds of things... i looked up the links from the start pages of each topic.
- VLC can open the Hirv-cam with the address given in the Hirv-topic ( viewtopic.php?p=502154#p502154 ) but i can't record video from there with VLC. it also changed the title to "Sony RTSP Server", whatever that means. the deer camera is very stop&go (mostly stop) with the VLC.
- when i change hirv to toidumaja VLC can open the feeder camera but i can't make a recording with it either(!?? this is strange. i have tha latest version of VLC.).
-VLC can open the rtmp-link of hirv camera but Potplayer can "show" only audio from there. :puzzled:
- Potplayer can play and record from toidumaja.
anyone wiser than i? :dunno:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I can open the Hirv Camera with VLC

rtmp://193.40.133.138/live/hirv

If you are on the main page of Looduskalender
click on "Android, VLC" link, opens the camera automatically with me the potplayer and I see the cute great tit.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

rtmp://webcam.tt.ee/live/pesakast (sorry it was a wrong Link :slap: )

this Link works with VLC Player. Great tit is sleeping :innocent:

viewtopic.php?p=452098#p452098

VLC Player without conversion

Hirv recorded with VLC. Today the camera runs well. There are days, the camera stutters very often.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gaG0F- ... e=youtu.be
ame

Post by ame »

the hirv runs more evenly (less stops and breaks) on the VLC now than earlier in the evening but i still can't record it with the VLC. neither can i record the Bird Feeder (toidumaja) with VLC. with the Potplayer i can both play and record both cameras. i cannot figure out what i am doing wrong with the VLC. :puzzled:

snapshots i can take. 4 handsome horned fellows. :laugh:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

this are my settings :puzzled: Version 2.2.4.0
ame

Post by ame »

i have version 2.2.4 Weatherwax without 0, and my Open Network options are the same except that the Zwischenspreicherung and Optionen bearbeiten are 1000 ms, not 3200 ms like you have.
the VLC looks like this:

it looks different than it used to. it looks like a 4-hour video playing at 51 min 12s from the beginning. that's how long it has been playing since i started the cam. it also says that it's playing Sony RTSP Server...
?? :puzzled:

some males are crossing antlers out of the camera view. i hear clanging and banging.
ame

Post by ame »

next i tried to open the Hirv-camera from the link given in the LK-page. i got this error message:
the previously opened camera was running in the background.

sure this must be some sort of problem that i have in my pc. :slap:
i'm too tired to think. :offtobed:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

This is not a PC problem with you.
I also have this blue bar. I was wondering, why this is displayed!

"Zwischenspeicherung 3200" I set cache so high, so the video runs smoother.
ame

Post by ame »

i made two pictures of how it looks when i try to open a direct link to the tit box camera in the LK page.
it looks the same with the other cameras. click on the Android, VLC (green arrow) opens Lanch Application -window with option Potplayer (orange arrow).
(the great tit happened to wake up just when i took the screenshot. i had to keep it with the clock and the calendar. :laugh: )

when i click the Choose other application-button i get no selection of any applications. :puzzled:
(by this time the tit had gone to sleep again. :sleep: )

i remember vaguely that at one point i was asked if Potplayer is allowed to make changes in the pc and/or is it allowed to contact the internet or something... :puzzled: i thought yeah-yeah and clicked yes.
i also could not start the Estonian WTE camera directly from the link when it changed to rtsp-stream. that was before i had even heard about Potpalyer. i had to copy the address, start VLC independently and there Open Network Stream and paste the address there. then it opened.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

ame

Post by ame »

Fleur :hi:
both addresses open with Potplayer. :nod:

i have recently changed totally from VLC to Potplayer. it looked strange in the beginning but gradually i learned to use it.
it has many advantages over VLC. the most important of all the stream from the Latvian WTE nest opens with it. besides that it can do the same tricks as VLC. :thumbs:

Return to “Questions and Help”