Autumn in Looduskalender Forum

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Liis

Re: Autumn in Looduskalender Forum

Post by Liis »

alice44 wrote:I have not quite figured out what might be the best way for me to do this but...

I took several pictures today, some right around my house -- the trees I will follow carefully and some a little ways off.

I am in Corvallis Oregon 44° 33' 53" N

I will start with this "odd" one -- I have no idea what it is and it looks like the leaves might fall soon.
Hi, Alice -
a guess: katsura, the peppercake tree, Cercidiphyllum - the way the leaves hang, their slightly heart-shaped form, the rather uniform colour, the angles and shape of trunk. Try a Google image search, one picture here.
Katsura has a long garden history, so there are a number of cultivars, as with aspen - makes identification trickier.
(Link to Alice's post with photo of tree)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis

I think you might be right about the tree.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Birch trees
I think these are some the earliest trees to lose their leaves.

I think this is a Snowball Bush under the Birch trees -- the red leaves to the right and under the birches.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Now for some Maples.
I think but am not sure that this might be a Sunset Maple.

I thought this was also a Sunset Maple but it does not have red stems -- maybe because it is young?

Japanese Maple (Weeds, English Ivy & Laurel Hedge)

Leaf Close up
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Something I have never seen before.... have any of you?

These are geraniums in planters on my front veranda. This year the leaves have changed colour, to almost the same colour as the flowers. In the pictures the leaves look darker than in real life..

Proud member of SHoW. (StorkaHolics Of the World)

"There are no strangers here; only friends you haven't met yet"
William Butler Yeats
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I seem to remember my leaves doing this once -- I thought it was just lack of water but maybe it is really less water coupled with cooler night time temperatures and/or shorter days. I know that since then I have underwatered mine but never again have the leaves gone red.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Bairbre - Geranium leaves turning red:
Yes, quite often, when they are in very dry conditions and usually strong sun, maybe helped on by poor soil too. In the middle of summer too. But there may be a number of other things that bring red colour on.
Alice - the katsura
as a matter of fact I took a picture the same day as yours of "my" katsura, just haven't done anything about the pic yet. The katsura here in Stockholm is still all green, no hint of colour. Later it usually turns pure yellow (and no whiff of peppercake bake, ever).
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The Katsura Tree is an interesting case -- the common name you used in not used here. When I googled it I got recipes -- with the Latin name it was a snap. I think I might have found another one -- closer to my house, but now I am going to go back to both of them and see if I can find a scent of any sort.

It is amazing how long dealing with the photos can take!
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Re my geraniums, I water them at least twice a week and they are in shade all morning and part of the afternoon from the maple tree, sun from about 2pm until sunset????

I had these same plants, in the same planters, in the same location last year and the leaves remained green until I brought them inside for the winter????

Oh, and I put fresh potting soil in the planters last spring before putting them outside.

Everyone is commenting on how pretty they look, but I want them to survive for another year. :puzzled:

William Butler Yeats
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Harald is going to keep us up to date with the progress of autumn in Norway.
First pic - somewhere among those trees is a WTE nest area. The trees are aspen, birch, rowan.

This is at 67 degrees North.

In the same area

and a very long feather!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

This topic is soon going to get untidy and difficult to follow. After a few pages we shan't know where to go to look for the original appearance of an area.

Shall we make separate topics for each country?
Or one for each member who wants to keep track of autumn/fall?
What would you like to see? Imagine it 6 weeks from now, like this!
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Jo, if we re going to follow the progress of the trees in each area, wouldn't it make sense to do it by country?

William Butler Yeats
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Hmmmm

This is why I said I was not sure how best to do it. Countries are pretty big and/or diverse in terms of weather and seasons -- but then as of now we do not have many representatives from any one country. I was grouping mine by species to some extent to attempt to provide order -- probably seems confusing.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Bairbre wrote:Re my geraniums, I water them at least twice a week and they are in shade all morning and part of the afternoon from the maple tree, sun from about 2pm until sunset????

I had these same plants, in the same planters, in the same location last year and the leaves remained green until I brought them inside for the winter????

Oh, and I put fresh potting soil in the planters last spring before putting them outside.

Everyone is commenting on how pretty they look, but I want them to survive for another year. :puzzled:
As I said it happened to me only once and I am sure my geraniums lasted for several more years (wintered in the garage) -- I may still have some. But I do think they have experienced a little more stress than usual.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

It would be easy to have separate topics
Autumn in Canada
Autumn in Oregon
Another part of USA
A Oh, no - we should have to call it fall, over there!!

We shall sort out something soon.
Or, each time we update with a new picture, each member could give a link to the earlier pics of the same area.
So many ways of getting confused - - - :puzzled:
Bairbre

Post by Bairbre »

Jo UK wrote:It would be easy to have separate topics
Autumn in Canada
Autumn in Oregon
Another part of USA
A Oh, no - we should have to call it fall, over there!!

We shall sort out something soon.
Or, each time we update with a new picture, each member could give a link to the earlier pics of the same area.
So many ways of getting confused - - - :puzzled:
A suggestion.... why not put a very small copy of the previous picture next to the most recently taken one... then you could see the change as it happens?? :puzzled:

William Butler Yeats
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Bairbre wrote: A suggestion.... why not put a very small copy of the previous picture next to the most recently taken one... then you could see the change as it happens?? :puzzled:
I kind of like this idea - new images with a link and or a photo from before. So I can see Toronto and Oregon next to each other easily, but maybe separate threads might be easier, for the posters and it would be nice to encourage more posters. Truth to tell I deal with chaos well so I will be content.

Could we have threads for each area we now have created, and then copy the images and leave this thread as is for autumn chatter? New threads for new areas or posters could be created as needed. It would keep the visuals clear and clean and allow chatter, but it would require some links from our picture threads to our chat.

Honestly I will do as I am told (as best I can).
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Alice, I will do as I am told too!
So I made new topics, for each area that has been posted so far.

NEW CONTRIBUTIONS FROM OTHER AREAS still needed.

I notice an absence of Estonian photographs - the burden of recording the Estonian autumn seems to fall on Urmas. Can anyone else in Estonia take tree pictures - say from the North of the country?

So now, each of us can go to our own topic (Patsycat and I share the UK place)
I think it would help if we included links to previous pictures that we posted, with the date of the earlier picture.

If you would like additions or changes, please post them here. I will do what I can.

Bociany - how is Fall in Massachusetts progressing? (I know she is busy, but we can hope! :gathering: )
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Thanks Jo for your work. I will copy my images over into the new thread tomorrow -- well after I sleep :laugh:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

alice44 wrote:Thanks Jo for your work. I will copy my images over into the new thread tomorrow -- well after I sleep :laugh:
Thanks Alice.
Sleep well! :sleep:

Return to “Seasons”