Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
juta
Site Admin

Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

Post by juta »

Happy New Season!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Thank you, Juta!

The first visitors of Spring and summer in Finland:

at 7:30 in the morning:

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Welcome to the sunny spring to all the members from Squirrel Hill. :gathering:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Manu

Post by Manu »

So nice, it's possible to follow the members of squirrel hill during spring and summer :loveshower: .
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Today in the afternoon sun as I opened my eyes (after a nap) there were two squirrels running up and down the perch. I didn't get any good clip.. the lighting was terrible. The other one was a familiar looking male.

Oh, yes, I saw Paula, too, from the kitchen window in the morning, but she escaped behind the stone terrace.

There is only one second on the videos where the squirrel in the shadow can be seen rather sharp, everything else was blurred..

Two versions of the squirrel, 1st is not edited (just beween clips there is 'a page turning'), the 2nd one is edited..

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

The sun is shining, and we are looking forward to an exciting spring and summer season on Squirrel Hill :loveshower:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

:hi:

Olga I am curious if you ever have very stupid seeming squirrels? It does not seem that all babies can be so stupid. And oddly, my father thinks it is the father squirrel who is trying to teach the baby what is what (and failing).

It seems that there is one baby from my parents' squirrels (squirrels that modified and moved into a bird house my dad built for birds). It walks around on the ground (it seems to get a bit scared when up high) and ignores people walking around near it.

Hopefully my dad will send me a photo -- when I visited I did not take my camera.
edit: my dad sent me some photos which I posted the Spring in Oregon thread.
Olga

Post by Olga »

alice44 wrote::hi:

Olga I am curious if you ever have very stupid seeming squirrels? It does not seem that all babies can be so stupid. And oddly, my father thinks it is the father squirrel who is trying to teach the baby what is what (and failing).

It seems that there is one baby from my parents' squirrels (squirrels that modified and moved into a bird house my dad built for birds). It walks around on the ground (it seems to get a bit scared when up high) and ignores people walking around near it.

Hopefully my dad will send me a photo -- when I visited I did not take my camera.
edit: my dad sent me some photos which I posted the Spring in Oregon thread.
:D I have heard about them, and the writer Tove Jansson has written some lines about them.. 'they jump hear and there and around, they forget at whiles where they are going to go..'.. with tender, beautiful words without any complcations..something like that :nod:

Put the photos here if you get them!
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave:

It is almost summer here on Squirrel Hill. But because of the situation of dogs there is always someone in the garden, Nappu or Nanu, and me with Nappu, always, watching her that any accident can't happen to her.. :D I have seen Baby face ( this morning) and other squirrels too, but ... Lets see, I have a premoniton that all will return normal after Nappu's heat days are over.

I have been constructing a new gate!!

Today I begun to paint the gate.. :faint:

All small birds visit the feeder, and one of the Woodpeckers too is devoted to nuts.. a female, she reminds me of one the WP chicks from last summer, she walks along the horizontal in front my nose, the window.. :laugh: well, I don't know if it really is the same one as last summer. Anyway I didn't see this one during winter time.

We will see soon!
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga, your new, blue gate looks great:) It suits the blue sky that I hope we will see much of this summer :wave:
( and I hope it will keep Nappu on the right side of the fence :rolleyes: ...sorry Nappu)
Olga

Post by Olga »

:faint:
:wave:
Paula! Today in the afternoon:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Some pictures from the video of Paula today:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Paula leaving:

She looked good, but the fur is now different, light brown mostly. She does not use the right front paw as well as the left one. But she was able to climb very fast, I didn't see any problem.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Paula looks so sleek and beautiful in her new ruddy summer fur.

Olga my dad sent me many photos so I just posted them in the Oregon forum

viewtopic.php?p=139938#p139938

I don't think our squirrels are quite as cute as yours. My dad says the youngster is about 3/4 the size of the adults.
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: A nightingale is singing on Squirrel Hill at 22:30! It was singing already yesterday, the 13th May in the midday.

Alice, your squirrels are cute!! :laugh:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today I happened to be inside as Paula came!

at 14:15 she came, walking along the branch with three paws :cry: The paw has not well yet.

But she was hungry, and you can see from videos how she moved.

She looked so small, like thin.. but of course I can't say for sure why... She has not anymore her gray winter fur. This may be the reason that she just looks thinner. There was just some few crumbs left at the moment. I opened the window and she didn't escape at the same second! :) She watched me for three seconds and climbed fast to the roof. After two minutes she returned and begun her lunch.

She was there for 15 minutes. Straight after her appeared Baby face and he too looked thin! :D He has lost some of his winter fur but is still almost gray on the body.

Both of them had like small very small wounds on the right eye lid. What has happened?? No-one knows.. :help: I havn't seen cats for weeks on the hill, not anywhere.

(then I thought that perhaps they have some three-five wild pups who have played with them.. well, this is perhaps nonsense.. but that was what I thought...)

Paula:

Baby face:

Five videos follow! And some pictures of both - it's interesting that they seem to go together.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Paula at 14:15

1:

2:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Paula at 14:25

3:

She kept the right eyelid half shut (not all the time) , but there was nothing wrong on the eye! I tried to look carefully.
The eye was as bright as it always has been!
4:

Olga

Post by Olga »

As Baby face came, the camera begun wink and warn that the battery will be soon empty, and that the camara's memory full! :slap:

But I got some video clips of him:

5:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Four screen captures more from the Baby face video:

Return to “Seasons”