Fall in Oregon, USA

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
alice44

Re: Fall in Oregon, USA

Post by alice44 »

Just the other day

Plain Trees (?) by alice_knitter, on Flickr

I think the little bare tree is a Sunset Maple, the bigger colourful tree is a Sweet Gum. Jo looked it up I think the Latin term relates to Liquid Amber

Sweet Gum by alice_knitter, on Flickr
alice44

Post by alice44 »

This birch was taken the day after Thanksgiving. Mine has been naked for weeks.

Weeping WIllow by alice_knitter, on Flickr

This is at a park near my parent's house. Across the road is a field, I think it is part of the University's fields, but I am not 100% sure. I think the leafy tree is a Sweet Gum

Fall Trees by alice_knitter, on Flickr
alice44

Post by alice44 »

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Mushrooms

Mushrooms by alice_knitter, on Flickr

My sister's dog. They have only had him a short time, less than a year I think. They got him when the last of their old dogs died. They are at least his third family. Other people adopted and then returned him. One family said he was no good with their cat, but he now lives peaceably with a cat. He is amazingly bouncy, but he is young. He seems adorable to me.

Maxi by alice_knitter, on Flickr
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Now this picture was taken a few days ago, before the wind and rain stole all the leaves from the Sunset Maple.

Sunset Maple by alice_knitter, on Flickr
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: How beautiful photos, Alice! And you sister's dog looks very nice. Happy dog Maxi, he found a home at last, good luck for him!
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Beautiful photos, and beautiful Maxi Alice. He reminds me of Frøya, a dog we had some years ago. She was a mix of Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever & Collie. Thank you :wave:
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Thanks a lot for your comment in the German Seasons' thread
...but water and river flow is a big concern for us -- not so much about navigation, but for irrigation, salmon and electricity. Our water falls almost only in the winter. If it does not land as snow in the mountains and then melt slowly in the spring and summer we are in big trouble. As it has been getting warmer we worry all winter -- Will the mountains get enough snow?
Now after having a bit studied the region you're living (I am always interested in Geographical and climate conditions) I realise that there are numerous rivers surrounding your home. The names are interesting, will have their own stories and different characters.
I guess some could fall dry if it doesn't rain or haven't snow(n) for a long period.
How ever, in contrast to the meaning of your local rivers we do not have possibilities to use water for electricity in that extent. There are a lot of artificial lakes, but the most known were construted to regulate the water level of some rivers to maintain their navigability. But I think we're on a turning point of time.

I like the views of your photographs! Regretfully I do not own a camera, otherwise I'd support Felis in the German seasons' section.
And thanks for your comforting words in "How to say...?" It's the lack of practice in normal German life, and every TV film/show is synchronised instead of subtitled, like in most European countries.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Absolutely beautiful photos, Alice! You also live in a very beautiful place!
:loveshower: Cute dog, he must be happy to have found a good home!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Here are my "weed" wild Geraniums.

Geranium by alice_knitter, on Flickr

You can see that they are long past blooming this year.

Walking this afternoon I did find this some what worse for wear Rose still in bloom.

Winter Rose by alice_knitter, on Flickr
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Yellow Leaves by alice_knitter, on Flickr

My neighbour's Sweet Gum (mine is still mostly green)

Sweet Gum by alice_knitter, on Flickr
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Beautiful photos! The colours are really fantastic.
Autumn over here is over now. We've had the first rain, storm and even a bit of snow mixed with rain over the weekend and whatever leaves stayed on, are gone now. But it was a fantastic time, I think I have never before seen it so intensive!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Great pictures Alice :wave: Unfortunately we missed the colours this year. Because of all the rain and raw weather, the leaves got an illness and fell of..
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Lussi05 wrote:Great pictures Alice :wave: Unfortunately we missed the colours this year. Because of all the rain and raw weather, the leaves got an illness and fell of..
This year we had less rain than usual, so better than usual colours. Today (yesterday) was the first day with sun though, we have been having low clouds or fog. Tonight we are back to thick fog.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

cat in leaves (to arrive)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

To the right is Mary's Peak -- I think it is the highest mountain in the coast range. (you can drive to near the top, where I think there is a weather station)
Sunset by alice_knitter, on Flickr

Moon by alice_knitter, on Flickr
alice44

Post by alice44 »

A leaf (I do not know what kind) from a few days ago

Leaf by alice_knitter, on Flickr

Three Rose Hips by alice_knitter, on Flickr
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Our Christmas Eve walk

Maxi Christmas Eve by alice_knitter, on Flickr

Bald Hill by alice_knitter, on Flickr
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Christmas Day Walk

This is EE Wilson wildlife refuge -- mainly for raising pheasants (I think they were imported from China), but this area was a training ground for soldiers in WWII so there were houses and gardens. What remains are roads for walking and biking, apple trees and daffodils.

Cold Wet Apples by alice_knitter, on Flickr
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Nice pictures. Looks like Maxi enjoy the Cristmas Eve Walk. He is looking very good :2thumbsup:

Return to “Seasons”