Fall in Oregon, USA

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
alice44

Re: Fall in Oregon, USA

Post by alice44 »

alice44 wrote:Pretties
September 25
Again I do not know what these leaves are but I think they are pretty.
I think I have an identity for this -- I will post pictures with the flower that help to confirm the issue and Jo, given our earlier discussion it is rather funny :slap: It is almost certainly Witch Hazel.

I am in a crabby mood as I went for a walk today and managed to delete ALL of my pictures rather than putting them on the computer -- so I am going to wait to work on pictures when I am not being so dumb.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Aww Alice, never mind.....you only have to work out, how to get Witch Hazel out of those leaves (or the ? bark) rub a little on your forehead and wrists. :gathering: Its great for stressful moments. :rolleyes: :nod: :rotf: :idea:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

Hello, Alice -
how is your katsura - any peppercake or burnt sugar candy smells yet?
"Mine" is doing just fine, that is, if still being green at this time is fine. A couple of twigs with pale yellow leaves. Stubbornly no scent (have tried all tricks with the leaves: drying them, shredding them, having in a heap on the ground ...)
I am a little fascinated by the tree, as by the gingko: any forum people from Japan? :innocent: passing Japan (and suitable katsura trees) this autumn?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis wrote:Hello, Alice -
how is your katsura - any peppercake or burnt sugar candy smells yet?
"Mine" is doing just fine, that is, if still being green at this time is fine. A couple of twigs with pale yellow leaves. Stubbornly no scent (have tried all tricks with the leaves: drying them, shredding them, having in a heap on the ground ...)
I am a little fascinated by the tree, as by the gingko: any forum people from Japan? :innocent: passing Japan (and suitable katsura trees) this autumn?
I need to go back past that first tree. I have found another Katsura tree and a couple that might be (but their leaves are bigger) and so far I have not noticed any smell. I tried busing the leaves -- nothing. There are also several gingko trees in the neighbourhood.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Don't think I know either Katsura or Gingko trees but I looked on google. The Gingko seems a facinating tree.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/thetree.htm
On this link there are even videos and links to Youtube and MORE videos.!!
Didn't know there was such a facination for a tree ?
:hi: Alice.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I did not know much about the tree but the leaves are a common earring shape.
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote:Don't think I know either Katsura or Gingko trees but I looked on google. The Gingko seems a facinating tree.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/thetree.htm
On this link there are even videos and links to Youtube and MORE videos.!!
Didn't know there was such a facination for a tree ?
:hi: Alice.
Much used in various herbal preparations too. Lots using those probably don't even know it is a tree.
The leaves are really unusual and beautiful, and so can the tree be. In spite of being said to stand ice and snow storms, it is on the edge of its range in Estonia (and Sweden). There is a very beautiful, 120+-year -old ginkgo in Tallinn (at Süda/Pärnu mnt) - planted by a tree-interested forest officer around 1880, it is said - survived revolutions, both wars and some more bad times, and even urban replanning.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

October 10
This Katsura looks about like the other one did almost a month ago-- I would guess because this is in the yard of a newly refurbished Church (actually their gym) with a new sprinkler system so unlike the other tree it got water this summer.

Close up of the leaves.

October 9
This is a leaf from yet another tree I have been watching. I think it is a Katsura but its leaves are larger.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Alice, please, that other tree -
Liis wrote:But Alice's tree with the curious pink-red fruits and coppery yellowish magnolia-type leaves?
Surely someone must recognise a tree (bush?) with such fruits - please! :shock: :book: :help:
Has nobody really been able to put a name to it?
Looks like it has red bark - the strawberry tree is said to have that. Do you think it is a native Oregon tree?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis wrote:Alice, please, that other tree - Has nobody really been able to put a name to it?
Looks like it has red bark - the strawberry tree is said to have that. Do you think it is a native Oregon tree?
I found it! A Cornus kousa (Korean dogwood) -- http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/coko5.htm

The picture is on the OSU tree website but I found it by doing a search for "tree with raspberry like fruit," and there was a link back to the local webpage. When my mom took a sample home my dad said where did you get the raspberry. I would never thought of that.

If you follow the link to the main page and then look at pictures you will see the new planting in front of the OSU (Oregon State University) library. This dogwood really does have beautiful flowers.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Splendid research, thank you, no more sleepless nights then!
But it was interesting to read about the strawberry tree too and that it may be an Ice age survivor in Ireland.
The C. cousa flowers are really lovely, many gardeners want it, but it is only hardy in the southmost parts of Sweden.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

My Birch Trees

October 5

October 8

October 12
The Birches from an other angle with a Dogwood in the foreground.

October 16
alice44

Post by alice44 »

My one lone Fall Crocus.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Wonderful Alice. A good record of the changing birches, but what a striking picture of the crocus. Thanks.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Thank you
alice44

Post by alice44 »

A Maple and an Oak

October 15

October 21

I think the big tree behind the big Oak is a Big Leaf Maple.
Liis

Post by Liis »

You really do get much more colour in autumn in US, whatever the reason!
City park departments here have started planting those oaks that go red in the autumn too - think they are called American Red Oak - but they are more a dark red colour at least this year. Which is otherwise very much just yellow, only a very few trees manage to get some red on them. The maples are at least a very intense yellow.
Porbably the last beautiful "autumn leaves" weekend, as many yellow leaves on the ground as on the trees already.
Your dogwood - Bairbre's "flaming bush" might of course be that too.
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

alice, wonderful pictures and colours!
we have so little red this fall :puzzled: but luckily the trees are bright yellow, makes the foggy and cloudy days a little merrier :D
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Alice, the colours on 'your' trees are really beautiful. :nod:
As Kuremari said you are lucky there to have such beautiful trees. They light up the landscape. :2thumbsup:
And your photo of the crocus is VERY good.!!
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

So far we have had some sunny days and not just rain, which is probably helping the colours.

October 16 -- the first Katsura tree has lost all of its leaves.

Here is the Katsura when I first saw it

Return to “Seasons”