Autumn in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Autumn in Finland

Post by Olga »

This was end of the fat ball the 30th November 2009.

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Nice squirrel, great pictures :)

I'm interested in ornitology and I have a question. How many species of birds visiting your bird table? Did you see once a azure tit (Cyanistes cyanus)?
Olga

Post by Olga »

Nighthawk wrote:Nice squirrel, great pictures :)

I'm interested in ornitology and I have a question. How many species of birds visiting your bird table? Did you see once a azure tit (Cyanistes cyanus)?
I have never seen that bird in Nature. I wonder if there are Cyanistes cyeanuses (Valkopäätiainen)Azure tits, here in Finland. I guess not many, but I don't know :shock:

During the last years I have seen many kind of 'tits' on the feeder here in Southern Finland, the most common visitors are Great tit,
Crested tit,
Blue tit and
Willow tit.

And more little birds I have seen, but seldom:
Coal tit (Parus ater),
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla),
Redpoll (Carduelis flammea),
Tree sparrow (Passer montanus) and
Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula).

I see often also the Lesser spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopos minor), Great Soppted woodpecker (Dendrocops major), Woodpecker (Dryocopus martius) and Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) and of course ( these bigger birds don't visit the feeder behind the window) Magpies, Hooded crows and Jays. They visit on a feeder that is further from the house.

But the most big surprise for me is to see Nutcracker (Nucifraga caryocatactes)! I have tryed to get a photograph of it, but have not succeeded until yet very good.. :D

So, the amount of our feeders is not too big.. 10 - 16! It depends of the feeder, how far it is from the house.
Olga

Post by Olga »

I did a search and found that there have been seen some Azure tits in here Finland - but it is very rare here.

Azure tit seen:
"Sunday November 29th 2009
Azure Tit, Parus cyanus
Siikajoki Finland
2 at Munahieta, presumed same as Kalajoki on 22nd to 24th October 2009.
(source: Lintutiedotus)
http://www.tarsiger.com/news/index.php? ... cies=63620

Propably it has been seen some more time and not only once. It is mentioned to have seen with Blue tits here and there, like exotic visitors..
Olga

Post by Olga »

Cyanistes cyanus.. now I wonder if this is the same as the Azure tit I thought.. Parus cyanus? :puzzled: It has to be 8-) My book does not have the name Cyanister cyanus, but it seems to be synonyme..
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Olga wrote:Cyanistes cyanus.. now I wonder if this is the same as the Azure tit I thought.. Parus cyanus? :puzzled: It has to be 8-) My book does not have the name Cyanister cyanus, but it seems to be synonyme..
Yes, this is a new synonyme. In my book also does not have the name C.cyanus. The new synonyme is just valid from the last year :)

(sorry, my English is not good)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Nighthawk, I think that if Finns, Poles, Brits and Estonians can understand each other while using Latin bird names in English, we are doing really well!!

Don't worry about language - we all manage OK. If anyone wants help, just ask.
Olga

Post by Olga »

3rd Devember: Squirrel news! :wave:

There are two Squirrels with short fur on the ears, not only one as I have believed.

1. This is the one we have seen for some weeks now.

This picture is from the 10th October, this Scuirrel was more brown then, but it is the same as in the first picture. It is a boy.

continues
Olga

Post by Olga »

continues

Squirrel news:

I new visitor! Look at his/her fur on the ears. They are thick and darker as the fur on ears of the first Squirrel.

And one picture more, seen a bit closer. A new Koala Squirrel :gathering: True?

Olga

Post by Olga »

Today the 3rd December it was a colder morning than for some weeks. That white something is not snow but like sugar, hoar.

Olga

Post by Olga »

One of the tens Blue tits visiting the feeder.

And other visitors:

- Now it is my turn!

Olga

Post by Olga »

Today it is the 10th December. The weather seems to turn colder. When it was warm squirrels nor birds were not too eager to visit the feeder. But each happened something.
The 6th day at 13:04 came this little squirrel. He seemed very interested of the fatballs he found. It lasted only two minutes when an other squirrel came and seemed to be as interested of the fat balls as the first squirrel. The first one tryed to 'save' his fatballs.. well.. both of them got enough to eat that day.

eight pictures in two minutes follow 'Squirrel news':

Olga

Post by Olga »

continues.. the last four pics from the eight pictures in three minutes the 6th December 2009 in the early afternoon.

- Did you hear! There is someone closing..

-I can see him!

- There he is! What should I do!!

- He just comes and will take them from me..! Help me, oh.. these balls are too big..

Olga

Post by Olga »

The 8th and the 9th December were ray, no snow, some few Squirrels and sometimes tits in their turn.

Some of the Squirrels:

- What fine it is to sit here and eat all alone in all peace.

- What a nice, a new day and a new fat ball.

Liis

Post by Liis »

Olga, take care with the squirrels!
The Swedish newspapers write that there was a power blackout in Helsinki yesterday morning. Because of a squirel ...
He/she, with companions, had gone looking for some nice warm space in a power substation, and, well, got a little too much warmth. But the companions escaped.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Liis wrote:Olga, take care with the squirrels!
The Swedish newspapers write that there was a power blackout in Helsinki yesterday morning. Because of a squirel ...
He/she, with companions, had gone looking for some nice warm space in a power substation, and, well, got a little too much warmth. But the companions escaped.
That's true! They can be very harmfull. 7000 people were without electrycity that day. :slap: Last year some poor Squerrel went to the huge water container of a whole community, the next from us, Nummela, and the water was spoiled for weeks - people were asked to cook the water they use, and to buy the water to drink..Humans should construct our systems more safety for squirrels.. :nod:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today, the 10th December there were lot of Blue tits in the morning. Eight pictures of the life on the feeder.

continues...
Olga

Post by Olga »

the 10th December

continues

- Hu-huu! Anybody there?

- I see, nobody there.

- Ooh, there is something for me too!
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: The first Squirrel visitor today was a gray squirrel. After the gray one came an other, a brownish.. It's interesting that the Squirrels seem to like more the fat balls with green net around, and as well perhaps the birds also.. why is that. The 'green' fat balls are cheeper.. hm...but more tasty :puzzled:

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Olga, thank you for our forum squirrels. I love to see these well fed furries, so close and clear!

Return to “Seasons”