Fall in Surrey, British Columbia

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
HelenD

Fall in Surrey, British Columbia

Post by HelenD »

I will post a photo on Friday of the trees I can see from my back window - they are all quite green still. Our weather is glorious - in the mid 20's - at the moment. And then, one day, I will come home and my back room will be absolutely glowing with the colours from the trees! I'm not too good at trees. I know we have some maples and I will do my best to identify the other ones I can see. But now, :sleep: :sleep:
Helen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Still trying to figure out how to post a photo :bash: . Meanwhile, it is a lovely day again here in British Columbia and the leaves are still pretty much green!
Helen
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

hdarbysh wrote:Still trying to figure out how to post a photo :bash: . Meanwhile, it is a lovely day again here in British Columbia and the leaves are still pretty much green!
And, good luck to you. Last week I finally had to get help and even then it took me AGES to work it out.!! :rolleyes:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I am not too good at trees either Maples, Oaks, Birches (always in groups of 3) and the Sweet Gum trees and that is just about the limit.
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Early morning sun coming through the trees.
Helen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

macdoum wrote: And, good luck to you. Last week I finally had to get help and even then it took me AGES to work it out.!! :rolleyes:
Big thanks to Alice44 who told me how to do this : )
Next step is for me to identify the tree. I have lived here 9 years and have not yet bothered about finding out what it is! Behind it is a Maple. I once counted the trees I can see from my back window - about 80, mixture of deciduous and conifers.
Helen
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Glad it worked!
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Not too much has changed here. We had a tremendous amount of rain this past week and it has not been really cold - about 14 Degrees in the day and no frost yet. There is a very slight change to tree on the right:

This is a small Maple tree at the front. There is a tree up to the right that looks quite nice!
Helen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Here is a different view of my street. The tree on the left gets the most sun and has turned yellow:

Closer views of the "yellow" tree:

And a rose-hip!

There is now a dusting of snow high on the mountains, so it is getting colder!
Helen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

October 9, 2009 - noticeable changes!

Helen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Here are some leaves I found outside today (October 9 2009)

Helen
Liis

Post by Liis »

That yellow tree, Helen - it does look like another katsura (Cercidiphyllum) to me? Here (Stockholm) I would say that, or possibly a linden (lime) but our lindens never show even a hint of red. What is the bark like?

EDIT: And katsuras obviously grow in Vancouver, wanted or unwanted (discussion at University of BC website)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis wrote:That yellow tree, Helen - it does look like another katsura (Cercidiphyllum) to me? Here (Stockholm) I would say that, or possibly a linden (lime) but our lindens never show even a hint of red. What is the bark like?

EDIT: And katsuras obviously grow in Vancouver, wanted or unwanted (discussion at University of BC website)
I also thought it looked like a katsura tree, but since it is such a different colour I thought maybe I was doing some wishful thinking.
(Today I took pictures of "my" second katsura -- I will find something postable tomorrow.)

Liis from the link you posted: "In Seattle our dry summers hurt this lovely tree, causing fall color in August." The first tree was in a tiny parking strip where I am sure there was little or no water... so it got it's Fall colour very early.
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Liis wrote:That yellow tree, Helen - it does look like another katsura (Cercidiphyllum) to me? Here (Stockholm) I would say that, or possibly a linden (lime) but our lindens never show even a hint of red. What is the bark like?

Hi Liis! I did some research and yes, it is a katsura tree! Thank you for that. There are 7 of them planted in a row and at the moment the leaves range from yellow to green.
Helen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Quite the windstorm yesterday and we have had heavy rain for the last 2 days, so the trees have changed dramatically.

Helen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

As a result of the 2 day wind and rain storm, two katsuras are almost stripped bare...

while two remain quite full:

In the bare trees, I see 4 American Goldfinches, 1 Northern Flicker, 3 Black-Capped Chickadees, 1 Nuthatch and 2 House Finches!
Helen
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thanks Helen, That is a big difference in two days.
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Well I went away for a week, and what a difference when I came back! My Katsura trees have NO leaves on them and I can now see across the street!

This little tree in my housing complex is more sheltered:

Helen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

November 7 and the garden is now a soggy mess. We had terriffc winds all week and torrential rain. No frost yet so winter is not yet here. With Daylight Savings time ending, it is now dark by 1730 hrs.

Helen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

November 16. Heavy rain warning and a wind warning. Welcome to winter on the West Coast of Canada! :cry:

Warnings

METRO VANCOUVER
8:35 PM PST MONDAY 16 NOVEMBER 2009
RAINFALL WARNING FOR
METRO VANCOUVER CONTINUED

Persons in or near this area should be on the lookout for adverse weather conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Watch for updated statements.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through your local radio and television stations or Weatheradio.

METRO VANCOUVER
8:35 PM PST MONDAY 16 NOVEMBER 2009
WIND WARNING FOR
METRO VANCOUVER CONTINUED

Persons in or near this area should be on the lookout for adverse weather conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Watch for updated statements.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through your local radio and television stations or Weatheradio.

...On the bright side, here is the willow tree across the road from my house - with two visitors atop the pole (Pileated Woodpeckers) taken this past weekend.
Helen

Return to “Seasons”