Winter 2015/16 on Squirrel Hill in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Winter 2015/16 on Squirrel Hill in Finland

Post by Felis silvestris »

The time has come and the seasons change, it is already winter. Olga's squirrels have put on their winter coat and she even has some bigger dinner guests by now. It seems the word gets around that there is a friendly place for everyone!

Have a nice winter everyone, squirrels, roe deer and Olga and family in Finland! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Today:

In the afternoon it begun to snow:

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

23rd November a White Tailed deer jumped over the dog fence. She walked in the midst of the lawn and ate the sun flower seeds form the feeder for small birds. It was not the first time I saw it happen. At first we were shocked to see these beautiful animals in a 'wrong' place! Nappu was inside on the moment.

I was so scared that she can't find how to go over the fence back in the forest. I feared that it would have been shocked if we had went outdoors to open the gates... What could we do if it harms his legs with the fence?!.. She was a bit nervous too. She even pushed the head through the fence net... it tried to jump ovet the fence under the apple tree, :cry: he fell down on the ground but jumped up and walked forwards... and without hesitation s/he soon just jumped over the fence without any harm, and run after her/his company (three more deer). :faint:
I was too scared to take the camera..

I just shut my eyes at the moment when it jumped on the other side.

I have to say that these animals are tall, strong and agile and shy, and they have better to keep further from humans!
We have put the bird feeder higher, and just hope that they understand that they don't find anything inside the dog fence.
https://youtu.be/dilaGcOdMoo

Nappu:

Olga

Post by Olga »

:D
26th October

PLease do not tell to my hubby that this little mammal has visited the window feeder, the wood mouse appears on the feeder only rarely. As far as I know it has moved now in the attic! Why not, it's warmer there. It's a Wood mouse, nothing dangerous, they do not spread harmful bacterial (I have been told), do not make mess inside the house walls, do not try to find a way to kitchen etc. Our neighbor told that there are wood mice in their attic too, even though they haven't begun to feed birds or squirrels yet.

Hubby doesn't want to, nor anyone wants to harm them. Let them be. There are not too many of them!
spatz

Post by spatz »

:hi:
Olga I am very pleased to that you're back
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hello Spatz!
:wave:

I think I'll add several videos from this fall to the 'Summer 2015 in Finland thread'. Last summer was long, and also the fall too was long and warm, very cloudy and gray though. But I found some videos of the last summer's pups, and have already edited them - but at first some screen shots has to be taken too and then they will be seen on the 'Summer 2015 thread'. Some of pups are still around the hill, but I hardly can differ them.

Maybe I'll put the date limit at end of October or November, to be able to put here mostly new pictures and videos.

Today we have got some snow. Well, it probably has disappeared till the morning.
There has been beautiful sunsets here, but all in all the weather has been gray, wet and warm almost during the whole fall time.

2nd November
Olga

Post by Olga »

Snow on the hill top!

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Beautiful pictures and videos, Olga :thumbs:
So nice to see Nappu, the deer and squirrels, snow and sunset, even the little wood mouse. I will not tell your hubby, I promise :rolleyes:
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Lussi and Spatz :slap: Only now I have read your posts in July , and seen the beautiful squirrel photos you sent for several months ago!
from spatz:

Thank you for them. And Lussi, I'm so sorry about the sad news about unlucky squirrel pup.. :cry: The same is what me/we too here have been scared of. Both of the new neighbors have a cat! And I have seen the other one running after a pup in summer. This time the pup managed to escape on the pine by side of the parking place. The cat tried to climb after the pup, but decided then to go down. Then it was me who run after the cat! :D

I still remember Nanu, at it makes me a bit anguished while I'm watching the old pictures and reading older posts. But I also remember him as he actually was, he gave us many wonderful years as well as did his father Girju too. Now deer visit their grave yard.
Olga

Post by Olga »

removed a double post.. :blush:

Olga

Post by Olga »

I think I have found and edited all videos from last summer and fall. Anyway the last of them are here.
viewtopic.php?p=432101#p432101

:faint: TODAY:
14th December

tree squirrels Phantom & two others

:slap: Record:

I haven't seen before this much squirrels in one minute:

It's a very dark day today.
Olga

Post by Olga »

The white tailed deer behaved calm and peaceful, ate neatly, he/she didn't push the feeder down. :D

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

:hi: Olga!

Thank you for to share from your beautiful pics and videos here. Is this your garden, where you feed the nice squirrels?
When yes, then you live on a beautiful place!
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Olga

Post by Olga »

Birdfriend wrote::hi: Olga!

Thank you for to share from your beautiful pics and videos here. Is this your garden, where you feed the nice squirrels?
When yes, then you live on a beautiful place!
You are welcome, Birdfriend :wave: Yes, it's our garden, the top area of a rocky hill, not very high one, but the highest in this area..

The white tailed deer normally visit on the south western, the front side (or 'kitchen side') of the house - there is no fence and the feeder is there on the old trunk. Squirrels visit everywhere! But seemingly they like most the feeder close to my window beside my work table :D The backyard is surrounded by a fence (actually a lamb fence, iron net with rather big holes) be cause we have a dog and she thinks that the whole hill is her Empire to be guarded by her.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Thank you for your answer, Olga! :wave:
Yes, you have a really good place to live. That sounds very good, closely with the nature.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Squirrels of today:

Who is there?

Two squirrels:

Castano:

Castano again:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

:wave:
Thank you, Olga, for these adorable videos. The squirrels are so cute and your dog also. :D
How old is your Nappu? It seems to me, he/she is still very young.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Nappu is 5 years and 5 months old.

She is Finnish Lapphund (''lapp'' refers here to Lapland! :dunno: ), or Sami dog, she probably would be able to herd reindeer easily almost on her own. This old dog breed has not been used to hunt mammals nor birds.
Of course the instinct is there somewhere, and it can wake up by 'accident'. She should not run after squirrels or birds e g. But she does. :unsure: For one time she caught a squirrel in her mouth, but she didn't harm the squirrel. The squirrel was the most loved, adorable Paula! Paula just happened to climb on the house wall, and she had some injury on her other front paw, and she fell down.. :slap: :faint: Thanks heaven, Nappu kept her between her teeth for one second only and let Paula go..

wikipedia: The Finnish Lapphund is a hardy, easy going, medium-size breed of Spitz type. Traditionally it has been used for herding reindeer. Although it is one of the most popular dog breeds in its native country, Finland, it is not very numerous outside of the Nordic countries.

Imagehttp://picasion.com/
Nappu today.

I don't know why my photo bucket does not work properly. I haven't managed to upload not one picture to PB since yesterday nor today.. :help:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Thank you, very much, Olga!
It was really interesting to read your post. Your dog is very beautiful. I like dogs. My husband and I always walking with a dog from a animal home. :wave:
I find, your picture is good! :thumbs:
spatz

Post by spatz »

:hi:
almost all squirrels are gone, sometimes comes this young. the woodpecker eats now the nuts.

Return to “Seasons”