Finnish Fall 2010

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
macdoum

Re: Finnish Fall 2010

Post by macdoum »

... and now I am totally mixed up. :rotf: I have all the printed photos with the names here but I cannot distinguish them today.!! Perhaps I should :offtobed: and look again tomorrow ?
However I am :loveshower: delighted to see one of 'your' squirells for real.
Thank you for the video. :headroll:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I typically like photos more than video but it was really nice to see the squirrel in motion -- on eye on the window and house and one on the lawn.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Olga -- I am sort of taking over your thread with squirrels from around the world.

This little article has a picture of a squirrel battling with a pigeon!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... igeon.html

Lots of ways for a squirrel to get scars.
Olga

Post by Olga »

alice44 wrote:Olga -- I am sort of taking over your thread with squirrels from around the world.

This little article has a picture of a squirrel battling with a pigeon!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... igeon.html

Lots of ways for a squirrel to get scars.
It's ll right, Alice :wave: There could have been here more information of squirrels en general! It is really interesting how squirrels live, what surprising dangers they have in the nature. Their life is not only happy climbing on trees, fearless jumping here and there searching for food and for some peaceful place to spend time and when sleeping.

Btw I think that black squirrels could not be safe here in winter time because the white snow would reveal them easily to any 'enemy'! :unsure:
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today there were our regular guests:

The first one, Charley at 8:30

Immediately after him came Anja:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Anja at 9:10 about...

She stayed there quite a long time, sometimes she jumped down but returned soon. Then she was just sitting there with a nut in her mouth..

Maditation with a nut in her mouth..for seven minutes.

- I just wonder what is that a strange being there...Do I dare to run over the lawn anymore!?

Olga

Post by Olga »

But who is this squirrel? I have no idea :puzzled: Is it the same one of which I took a photo about for one week ago, the one who has a quite 'long' body?.. hm..

at 15:00

I mean same as this one, look at the position on the body and the right 'arm', here, the 8th September:

viewtopic.php?p=81234#p81234

macdoum commented this squirrel from the 8th September :thumbs: Let's name him as Bud!

viewtopic.php?p=81240#p81240

click the thumbnail

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Olga wrote: It's ll right, Alice :wave: There could have been here more information of squirrels en general! It is really interesting how squirrels live, what surprising dangers they have in the nature. Their life is not only happy climbing on trees, fearless jumping here and there searching for food and for some peaceful place to spend time and when sleeping.

Btw I think that black squirrels could not be safe here in winter time because the white snow would reveal them easily to any 'enemy'! :unsure:
Olga your comment about Black Squirrels and snow is interesting. I had not thought about that They seem to be expanding and to do well where there is snow in the winter (Toronto, Montreal) -- maybe because in cities people are the big danger and the black squirrels are easier for people to see, and given a chance most people do not want to hurt squirrels. I am very curious about them and will do some research.
Olga

Post by Olga »

alice44 wrote: Olga your comment about Black Squirrels and snow is interesting. I had not thought about that They seem to be expanding and to do well where there is snow in the winter (Toronto, Montreal) -- maybe because in cities people are the big danger and the black squirrels are easier for people to see, and given a chance most people do not want to hurt squirrels. I am very curious about them and will do some research.
Perhaps the idea occurred into my mind because some of our mammals change their fur or the color of the fur from brownish to all white in winter. Not many mammals do that, I found these: hare, arctic fox (a very rare mammal here, in Lapland), ermine, weasel. Some birds too change color to white in winter: grouse and ptarmigan. For these the white color is camouflage.

About squirrels here in Finland it is known that the males change fur color to gray first as well as the pups who have born in spring time. The fur color change takes about two months. Old females and pups who have born in summer change color later in the fall, in November they should be gray too. But the ear tassels do not change color, nor the belly that is always white.

It's soon midnight here!

Have a good day there! :D

Good night :sleep:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga wrote:But who is this squirrel? I have no idea :puzzled: Is it the same one of which I took a photo about for one week ago, the one who has a quite 'long' body?.. hm..

at 15:00

I mean same as this one, look at the position on the body and the right 'arm', here, the 8th September:

viewtopic.php?p=81234#p81234

macdoum commented this squirrel from the 8th September :thumbs: Let's name him as Bud!

viewtopic.php?p=81240#p81240
Yes,its Bud. I just got out my prints and yes,yes. :nod:
Did you notice..Anja always (nearly) comes with the Tit.
Thanks to Alice to for all the information.
:D .. :offtobed: me too.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

Charley! At 10:23

more pics to come..
Olga

Post by Olga »

at 10:30, Charley alone on the feeder

Olga

Post by Olga »

Alone? No, not all alone..Tits make company to him.

How nice his ears look! :shake:

Olga

Post by Olga »

:shock: Oh! There they were at 18:00, both, Anja and Charley together.. :rolleyes:

Do I remember right, but in the summer there was two squirrels sometimes together, and someone thought that they could be siblings.. I just think that this not the time like in spring, when male squirrels follow females.. :D . I have noticed that quite often Charley and Anja come almost at same time, when other has left the feeder, the other one comes instead..

Charley left soon, but Anja stayed there, and again she just sat there and looked like meditating..

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Charley's ear tassels are really developing while Anja's are still invisible.
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

absolutely wonderful Finnish squirrels! :bounce:
thank you for keeping the "squirrel diary", Olga! :2thumbsup:
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Mew

Post by Mew »

Kuremari wrote:absolutely wonderful Finnish squirrels! :bounce:
thank you for keeping the "squirrel diary", Olga! :2thumbsup:
Yes, indeed, Olga - as Kuremari says! :bow:
And you think that the great tit comes with one squirrel in particular? I think you said Anja?

When our student daughter spent an autumn term in Norway, she had great tits visiting her 8th-storey windowsill daily for food. She doesn't know if any other students were feeding them, but one day she thought that the tits (rather than an accompanying nuthatch) came in through an open window: when she came back to the room, her laptop screen showed that something had run randomly across the keyboard... :rotf:
I hope they didn't miss her too much in mid-winter when she left. She missed them.... :cry:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, thanks for comments!

Mew, thanks for the story! Great tits are there with Squirrels almost always... But it is true too that they are there when Anja is there, but also with Charley and Silk ear. I have never seen that squirrels try to catch them..Not even when the Tit chicks were there in summer, and they were not very good in flying then. The Tits are very careful, sure, even the youngest.

Today was a terrible day, very dark and it was raining from morning to night, a lot, cats and dogs. I have got only one photo.. :D It is Charley about at 9:30 in the morning. Later in the afternoon I saw Silk ear. She was all wet but lively and fine! But she was hurry and left while I was putting my camera on place.

There are ceiling lamp light reflections on the photo, they came from my work table because the dark curtain was half open..

I have on video from the 19th September. There is not much 'new' on the video, but it is not so dark as my first video. It's Anja searching nuts. I have not edited the sound at all. It was again my handy's radio that was open, and the bird song comes from there..those are songs I have heard last in summer mornings. It'sfall now and our birds are quite silent, only some quiet twee-twee and tsee-tsee can be heard..

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thank you Olga for photos and video. :2thumbsup:
Do you,or does anyone know, why the squirrels grow tassels in winter :puzzled: .. and why they loose them during spring and summer ?
I will ask M. Google too...!
edit; I will leave this link because I think its a lovely site.
http://www.squirrels.org/
Emily Dickinson
Mew

Post by Mew »

Olga wrote:Hi, thanks for comments!

Mew, thanks for the story! Great tits are there with Squirrels almost always... But it is true too that they are there when Anja is there, but also with Charley and Silk ear. I have never seen that squirrels try to catch them..Not even when the Tit chicks were there in summer, and they were not very good in flying then. The Tits are very careful, sure, even the youngest.
I was wondering, does it mean that the tits accompany Anja most, perhaps because she drops more nuts than the others???

Return to “Seasons”