Finnish Fall 2010

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Fleur

Re: Finnish Fall 2010

Post by Fleur »

I have found a link, where many squirrels are shown.
( in minnesota )
what amazed me, the sounds they make, beautiful.
Sometimes they sound like a dog, bark ?
especially if there is danger / ( alert sound I think. ? )

have you ever heard that with squirrels olga?
http://www.deertrail.us/
Olga

Post by Olga »

leonia wrote:All your squirrels are wonderful to look at, Olga: so well fed! :peek:

Many thanks for your beautiful pictures! :bow:

But I wonder how you are able to distinguish one from the other? Besides the growing long hair tuft at the ears of one I am not able to see any difference! Is it their behaviour that helps you to differenciate? :puzzled:
It took months to me till I begun to 'see' the differences (during this summer when they got 'scars'.. :unsure: ). I have been wrong several times! I can still be wrong some times. But there are not so many squirrel individuals who visit the feeder, also last summer there has been only three main guests. Their colors are a bit different, and they also move in bit different way when they are nervous and alerted. But they can change their manners, and their colors also will change soon! It is not easy!
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Fleur wrote:I have found a link, where many squirrels are shown.
( in minnesota )
what amazed me, the sounds they make, beautiful.
Sometimes they sound like a dog, bark ?
especially if there is danger / ( alert sound I think. ? )

have you ever heard that with squirrels olga?
http://www.deertrail.us/
Thank you for the link! :thumbs: Yes, I have! Not that loud... but I even have recorded the voices of the two squirrels who were at same time on the feeder in summer. They were talking to each other! I made the recording with my handy! But I am sorry I cannot move the recording from my handy to anywhere! :blush: I just don't know how to do it. It would be so fine to put their voices here! I have not found advices anywhere.. :cry:

Today I was very busy with other things. But I saw that squirrels were there like each day. It was a dark and rainy day, and I have to organize the lightning of the feeder somehow,.. Last fall and winter squirrels were not so scared of the lamp light (I turned the ceiling lamps to light the feeder, but these lamps are not very good).. And if the window glass is full of water drops as t was today, it is impossible to take photos.

Later in December (hope so!), when we have snow that gives some light, it will be easier to take some kind of photos!
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Well we will be here come wind or rain come hail or snow.. and so will the squirells, I hope. :nod:
I have seen that link to the deers feeding place with many squirells too.
But I am surprised to see last week a black squirell. I didn't know it existed. :puzzled:
Still we are quite happy when we can see the 'The life and habits of the Finnish squirells'.

Olga,you can see in the Black Stork new page how I kept your 'Goodbye' video ever since... sad and happy times.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Olga wrote:Thank you for the link! :thumbs: Yes, I have! Not that loud... but I even have recorded the voices of the two squirrels who were at same time on the feeder in summer. They were talking to each other! I made the recording with my handy! But I am sorry I cannot move the recording from my handy to anywhere! :blush: I just don't know how to do it. It would be so fine to put their voices here! I have not found advices anywhere.. :cry:
maybe you can try with RealPlayer to install the free version.
If successful, open the movie in RealPlayer, and you can cut wherever you want.
you can put it on the forum as bociany says here ..
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Fleur, the problem is that I cannot move the recording from the handy out of it into my PC.. The Nokia program for my handy (nokiasuite something..) claims of some kind of 'configuraton error' and I don't know how correct this matter first. :blush: I have tried and asked advices a few times but ...so I got so frustrated that I decided to forget the matter. Maybe some day..
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

oh, what a pity, would have liked to hear the sound.
I have no knowledge of a Nokia, I have a different brand.
unfortunately I can not help you :blush:

:idea: and blue tooth, might want?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Olga wrote::wave: Fleur, the problem is that I cannot move the recording from the handy out of it into my PC.. The Nokia program for my handy (nokiasuite something..) claims of some kind of 'configuraton error' and I don't know how correct this matter first. :blush: I have tried and asked advices a few times but ...so I got so frustrated that I decided to forget the matter. Maybe some day..
You could try just playing it into your mic if you have one. Most computers (I do not know anything about macs) have sound recorder in the accessories file. It might be too quiet and indistinct to be worth the work but...

I often hear the "barking" squirrel alarm sound and sometimes the squirrels sound like cross birds.

Macdoum I think the Black Squirrels are getting to be quite common in Canada. I saw them for the first and only time when I visited Victoria a few years ago. (not in an area mentioned by what I found below but...)

I just looked them up and found this :The black squirrel is a melanistic subgroup of the eastern grey squirrel. As a melanistic variety of the Grey Squirrel, individual black squirrels can exist wherever Gray Squirrels live. The black subgroup is particularly abundant in the northern part of the Eastern Grey's range. This may be due to the significantly increased cold tolerance of black individuals. Large natural populations of black squirrels can be found throughout Ontario, and in several parts of Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio. Populations of grey squirrels in which the black subgroup is dominant can be found in these four areas as well as in smaller enclaves in New Jersey, Illinois, and Connecticut.

This site links to some information on them and a few more cute pictures on flickr.
http://www.squidoo.com/black-squirrels
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hello, friends! This is Fall! Lot of work and not that much time to take photos, not so many.. but some few :D I can't help seeing them there.

Early in the morning about 8:00:

I guess it is Silk ear:

New squirrels may appear at any time. There has to be more than 'three' squirrels on this forest hill..
Olga

Post by Olga »

I do not dear to say who is this one! I saw him/her at 17:00, but I had only 'one minute' of time to take photos. I just think that I have seen this squirrel earlier, his/her way of handling the seed ball looked so familiar - and the profile too!! :2thumbsup: (yes, our little country store has begun to sell fat balls! :D ..well, they know that I have been feeding squirrels all the summer)

BTW: I have nothing against it even if we called all squirrels on this hill as 'Silk ears'!! Anyway, there is some probability that some of them are some kind of relatives to each other, siblings, sisters, brothers, cousins, aunts, uncles, grand fathers, grand mothers, second cousins etc!

When I took these photos I noticed by accident (I was so hurry doing all other things that moment) that there was an other squirrel, there down in the first floor! Look below this post.

Olga

Post by Olga »

At 17:00 today this squirrel was there eating at same time with the squirrel on the previous post!

It's so pity I could not wait till it had turned her/his head to a better angle. There are seen reddish tassel fur growing!! :loveshower:

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga it is very difficult to tell one squirell from another,exept that one is female..Silk Ear and another is smaller.. :puzzled: or had scars.Charley is a big male one and so on.
What will we do when they change colour and grow tassells. ? :rolleyes:

I have found a link to Squirell Sounds here;
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Squirrel_Sounds.aspx you just have to click on each line to hear different sounds. :D But asian squirells or Grey squirells etc; :puzzled: its not easy to know which is which.!!

I bet the lady at the store knows well she has to have a big stock of food for the birds and sqirells. :mrgreen: I hope she gives you a special price.!!
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

:gathering: Video! Thanks to ame, I had courage to try again to do a video. I had forgotten how videos can be made..

But please, don't listen to the sound because it does not mean anything. My handy's radio was open and the voice of it can be heard there behind. I have tried to change it to some music, I allowed youtube to choose! I don't know yet if I managed to make the change right.

edit: yes! :laugh: I don't know what music there is, but it is better than the chaotic radio voice without any kind of meaning here.

Olga

Post by Olga »

macdoum:
What will we do when they change colour and grow tassells. ?
Oh, yes, macdoum, it will be very difficult to know who is who. But we can give them new names then in winter! :laugh: Or all names could have 'prefix' maybe Silk ear, maybe Charley..etc.. right?
Olga

Post by Olga »

Videos would be fine, but the lightning is so bad here and in all case, it is difficult to make good videos! There are things that can be seen better on photos:

I think this is Anja. I just believe that i know her face!

Seven photos from 9:00 to 11:00:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Anja about at 11:00

Olga

Post by Olga »

At about 15:20. If it is not Charley so.. I don't know who it is! Ear tassels are growing fast! It reminds me of the Secret Koala from last Fall!

Olga

Post by Olga »

The next squirrel is here, soon after the previous had gone. Anja again??:

I saw also Silk ear! a bit later, but it was so dark..

Olga

Post by Olga »

:thumbs: Alice, thanks for the link and for the information on Black squirrels! I had not seen that good photos of them earlier. They are so cute too.. To my surprise also their belly is all black too!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Olga wrote:At about 15:20. If it is not Charley so.. I don't know who it is! Ear tassels are growing fast! It reminds me of the Secret Koala from last Fall!

I looked at the pictures before I read -- I thought Charley! The ear tassels are very cute.

Return to “Seasons”