Finnish Fall 2010

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
macdoum

Re: Finnish Fall 2010

Post by macdoum »

I still haven't found out why squirrels grow tassels.. :puzzled:
I did find that cats are a danger for squirrels and also,they fight amongst themselves. :shock: see ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhZHlpSE6k
As they have such sharp claws it is no wonder the Finnish squirrels have so many scars. :unsure:
I hope the wet weather is going now.
Here, we have had five blissfully sunny days and temp. at 24-25°..but 'they' say tomorrow it will rain here too. :slap: Well today is official automn date.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

My previous cat Flash (whose death I have been thinking about too much recently) hated squirrels, but it was because they could dance about in the tall trees telling her off. I think their tree climbing ability made her feel inferiour -- she never came within 3 meters of a squirrel (my sister's dog got one once though -- it died in her husbands hand and he was very upset).

----

On a lighter note those squirrels have been waking me up about 7:30 with their alarm calls. I think they are a full garden away so I have no idea what has been going on. It might be the squirrels and the Jays having words.
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: I have had lots of other things.. also I have been terrible busy. Yesterday there was a news in our afternoon paper that a squirrel was seen to have eaten an Amanita (?) kärpässieni :shock: fly agaric or fly Amanita

wikipedia: a poisonous and psychoactive basidiomycete fungus, one of many in the genus Amanita

It happened in the neighbor city Espoo the 23rd September. The photo is taken by the eyewitnes.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/uutiset/kotim ... id=2254935

lukijan kuva = reader's picture

Squirrels here are ok!

A good news: I will get a new PC, soon, latest in some weeks...
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, today I saw the same squirrel that I saw on the 17th September, a very small and very shy red squirrel. She has to be some new one, a squirrel pup born in summer. She(he?) has reddish tassels growing on ears. I was doing all other things, and could not adjust camera better etc, you know.. 8-)

the squirrel on the 17th September:

Here she is today at about 15:00:

Those are not good photos at all, but I put them here anyway. She (possibly he) is all different to for example to Charley. Charley is darker, his ear tassels will be dark brown. This squirrel that I have not seen more than about two times is really a red squirrel! She is so small.. :unsure:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Later in the afternoon I saw also Charley. His ear tassels,.. :loveshower: are more furry day by day..

at about 18:00

one hour later on, Charley:

I saw also Silk ear! But the photos that I took are all blurred! I need a new camera! This one that I use is so slow!
Olga

Post by Olga »

I think I have to make new, a bit wider fence under the feeder. Our new dog seems to be interested of all what is happening there around the feeder! Squirrels like go down on the ground some times.. The older dog just bark when seeing squirrels but he let them be there and do not try to catch them. But Nappu! She will try, I am sure!

Btw, I have seen when the other of my dogs took a bird chick in his mouth! I took it out and the bird flied away. What a lucky bird.. If only they could a squirrel would not be in safe from their curiousness..
leonia

Post by leonia »

Hello Olga, your pictures of the squirrels are all wonderful! I like them very much! :thumbs:

And hello Carmel, despite the danger of their sharp claws I had to laugh about those fighting two squirrels in the video-link you postet above (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhZHlpSE6k).

Since I saw it today I know who made that mysterious noise outside my bureau window on Monday this week. I first thought it was one of our sparrow hawks but now I know: it was one of our (red) squirrels. :wave:
Olga

Post by Olga »

leonia wrote:Hello Olga, your pictures of the squirrels are all wonderful! I like them very much! :thumbs:

And hello Carmel, despite the danger of their sharp claws I had to laugh about those fighting two squirrels in the video-link you postet above (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhZHlpSE6k).

Since I saw it today I know who made that mysterious noise outside my bureau window on Monday this week. I first thought it was one of our sparrow hawks but now I know: it was one of our (red) squirrels. :wave:
Thank you, leonia! I didn't know before, about one year ago, how interesting, personal and funny and touching they are..

Yes, and the video from macdoum of fighting squirrels made me too to laugh..their 'threatening position, stepping..'! They really have good nails! :unsure: they can harm each other quite badly also perhaps. That is what I have been thinking of some times when noticing the wounds on heir bodies.. But I have not seen them fighting behind the window where the feeder is. We will have two more feeders on the other side of the house in winter time. They need not to fight for the food here, I hope!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

It is amazing how different the red squirrel and Charley look.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:It is amazing how different the red squirrel and Charley look.
Olga and,I too think that she is a baby squirrel,no different colours...yet.

Yes Leonia these squirrels are captivating.. I look in each day to see the news.
(Olga only when you have time will you post the photos and .. :D ask Father Christmas ..for the new camera.!)
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

macdoum wrote: Olga and,I too think that she is a baby squirrel,no different colours...yet.

Yes Leonia these squirrels are captivating.. I look in each day to see the news.
(Olga only when you have time will you post the photos and .. :D ask Father Christmas ..for the new camera.!)
Hi, there was among yesterday's photos one photo where the face of this baby squirrel is seen, not very well, but I put the photo here. It is a detail of one very bad photo (there were terrible reflections of my work table :blush: ) Let's hope the baby comes soon back and we may give a name to her/him!

Olga

Post by Olga »

Squirrel of today:

Is it Anja? Silk ear it is not, not Charley either..

But now there are seen that tassel fur have begun to grow! :D

Olga

Post by Olga »

Yesterday there was one more squirrel. I am not sure, but it resembles Silk ear - the color of the cheek and forehead.

There are not seen any scars, but there about at same places are like messy fur pushing out.. :puzzled: Yes, she had 'naked' places there.. Hm.. or it the same phenomena that happens to my dogs before the season change (?, how to describe it, 'under wool' get out and falla, and new fur grows instead of it..you know this I suppose.. :D )

Olga

Post by Olga »

Three more photos from yesterday of the same squirrel, supposedly Silk ear. The same eating session:

Olga

Post by Olga »

At last it happened :loveshower: Baby squirrel was there and it looked that she/he had got more selfconfidence! It was there in all peace more than one hour!

12 photos of baby squirrel (chosen from one hundred photos):

Olga

Post by Olga »

Today from 13:00 to 14:00...a baby.. :D

Olga

Post by Olga »

continues..

Olga

Post by Olga »

The last three photos of the baby are much like, but the baby was in that position about ten minutes, moving head a bit, just looking around carefully, perhaps trying to find out what's happening.. (there is some tiny light blinking on my camera..)

Olga

Post by Olga »

When I changed the battries to my camera and returned behind the curtain, tha baby had gone, and there was an other squirrel.. at 15:00

Who is it?? There are some tassel fur growing, but not as long as Charley has already.. Anja? I can't say!

Olga

Post by Olga »

at 15:00 today:

It noticed me and jumped on the perch tree, but it came back on the same way..

.and continued eating. Birds were there also all the time..

Return to “Seasons”