Winter in Finland 2010 - 11

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Winter in Finland 2010 - 11

Post by Olga »

leonia wrote:Hello Olga,
yes, I have seen the squirrel after the attack of the crow (a carrion crow, Corvus corone). And I had a stern plea to the crow: I went to the window and opened it, the crow flew into the next tree and I told her not to come back again. :whistling:
But I'm sure the crow is hungry too and so I have to be on the alert . . . :mrgreen:
Good! That the crow didn't harm the squirrel! I can see Magpies, Crows ans also Ravens here, but they come seldom inside the fence, and I have never ever seen a Raven walking close to the house. Only Magpies sometimes walk and search the stores of squirrels. Jays too, I forgot them.

It's snowing a lot fro the moment. Where can those bigger birds find food.. :puzzled: Tits are eating on the feeders all the time..

The squirrel of the morning:

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

oh, it is a very good squirrel
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:oh, it is a very good squirrel

But he dropped the nut.. it has now disappeared into the deep snow.. :cry: forever.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

This squirrel seemes to be a very young one, and his fur isn't almost grey yet but red. Could it be Baby? :puzzled:

One of these days I remembered the title of one of my first English lessons at school: "The picnic and the squirrel"; I can't remember what it was about, it's only the title what remained. :D

Our burreau-squirrel today ran to save the offered walnuts in the garden one after the other without any crow attacks. After the last walnut had vanished the peanuts too were interesting again.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Thanks for the good news, leonia! :wave:

We have got more snow. It has snowed all the day long. The snow is soft and dry and too deep for squirrels to walk. I believe they are in danger when they cannot run as fast as they are able to do normally. So I believe this is one reason why they don't visit the feeder that often. They are more safety hiding on trees.
leonia

Post by leonia »

Image Tufty-ear, the burreau-squirrel from Munich, sends many greetings to Olga. Without her inspiration he wouldn't get these tasty nuts from the window sill. :wave:
Today he had again a quarrel with the crow, but he is a brave one, first he was chased away from the nut he was just digging into the ground. But he ran up the trunk of the next tree, crossed to another one, down again, and then chased the crow away which was just searching for the nut, throwing old leaves left and right. :rant:
Then the nut was Tufty-ear's again! :D
Later on a delicous lunch of peanuts (s. above).
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

leonia wrote: One of these days I remembered the title of one of my first English lessons at school: "The picnic and the squirrel"; I can't remember what it was about, it's only the title what remained. :D .
Is this your story Leonia ? :peek:
http://www.thepicnic-basket.com/2009/09 ... rties.html
Maybe so and its a lovely story. :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

leonia wrote:Image Tufty-ear, the burreau-squirrel from Munich, sends many greetings to Olga. Without her inspiration he wouldn't get these tasty nuts from the window sill. :wave:
Today he had again a quarrel with the crow, but he is a brave one, first he was chased away from the nut he was just digging into the ground. But he ran up the trunk of the next tree, crossed to another one, down again, and then chased the crow away which was just searching for the nut, throwing old leaves left and right. :rant:
Then the nut was Tufty-ear's again! :D
Later on a delicous lunch of peanuts (s. above).
Hi, leonia! :gathering: What wonderful news, thank you very much. This reddish squirrel, Tufty-ear is so handsome and brave. Good luck for him! Squirrels too connect people and countries :laugh:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today morning at 8:30, -15 C! hrrrrrr--

Oh, I forgot to resize the first photo :D But the paths of squirrels are seen there. They come from the old birch and from behind the stone terrace and go to the 'new' feeder- seen from the kitchen window.

From the work room window. I have put seeds and nuts on the garden table, and also under the table behind the small 'dog fence'(the little dog likes to eat nuts too):

Olga

Post by Olga »

The first guests at 10:00

Good morning dear Lady.! Its freezing cold today.

I came to eat,may I ?

Thank you..

I'm sooo hungry. !
Olga

Post by Olga »

The first guests..

There was two squirrels!

7Image

Olga

Post by Olga »

at 10:10 continues

Olga

Post by Olga »

The other one of the two squirrels in the morning:

I should go, but..I have to think about..

Oh.. I wonder if the food will be here again tomorrow!!

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

The squirrels are so expressive.. with their paws suspended looking right..( No. 19 )
and No 20.. he is wondering if when he comes back tomorrow,will the food be there again ?. I think he is afraid that if he goes away,the food will be gone. :shock: !!
Please wave to them (slowly) from me. :hi:
:D
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

macdoum wrote:Is this your story Leonia ?
http://www.thepicnic-basket.com/2009/09 ... rties.html
Maybe so and its a lovely story.
Many thanks, Carmel, :wave:
I'm not sure, it was decades ago :whistling:
But as we see, from experience (Tufty-ear) or by Olga's wonderful pictures of her nice little fellows, it's still worthwhile to deal with squirrels!
Hello Olga :hi:
I hope your cam will keep on making pictures until christmas! Otherwise we would miss latest news from your kitchen window! :peek:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hello from freezing Finland :wave: Today I saw only one squirrel eating with Black birds and Tits under the apple tree! No squirrel appeared on the feeder behind the window, only birds - and they were all so hungry! :D

macdoum, I waved to the squirrel., and he/she replied by waving the tail.. :nod:

Squirrel talks have been added to some of yesterday's photos, thanks macdoum :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?p=85226#p85226
Olga

Post by Olga »

leonia wrote: Many thanks, Carmel, :wave:
I'm not sure, it was decades ago :whistling:
But as we see, from experience (Tufty-ear) or by Olga's wonderful pictures of her nice little fellows, it's still worthwhile to deal with squirrels!
Hello Olga :hi:
I hope your cam will keep on making pictures until christmas! Otherwise we would miss latest news from your kitchen window! :peek:
My camera is still working, not too well always, but anyway! Today was not the best squirrel day, but saw about 8-10 blue tits and three-four great tits at same time on the feeder, all the day long. Also a Black bird visited!

Greetings from Finnish squirrels to your Bureau Squirrel, Tufty Ear in Munich!!
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

The squirrels must have gone into hiding now because of the extreme cold. However they have ample reserves,they are ready to face the winter.. we hope.
If I remember from last winter they appeared at regular intervals to eat :puzzled:
The birds here too are feeding like crazy.!
Today I was sitting here at the computer,watching the snow falling and some very cheeky Coal Tits came right on to the back terrace. We keep the bird food on a table there. It is closed on 3 sides,so they came,one then two ,four six of them to peck at the apples there and the plastic bag containing the peanuts.
They would each peck one hole,take a peanut,fly away and another does the same.. :rotf:
Cheeky,very clever birds. :laugh:

:slap: Maybe I should be writing this in Winter in Alsace ?
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hello, I was busy yesterday but I'll put here some of yesterday's squirrels.

Today I saw in daylight five to six White-tailed deer from my window. OMG, batteries had run out just for the moment. :cry: I changed them, and got these two photos when they were escaping:

And the older dog is barking, always! :help:
Olga

Post by Olga »

From yesterday, the first visitor in the midday:

Return to “Seasons”