Winter in Finland 2010 - 11

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
leonia

Re: Winter in Finland 2010 - 11

Post by leonia »

Olga wrote:They were in seemingly calm together. I just think that they might be siblings, sister and brother.

it was about 11:00

Hello Olga, the pictures are so nice! and I agree to you: I thought the same, they must be siblings. Otherwise they would see each other as rivals. May be in their first year they can stay together, but I think later on they will divide.
To whom have you written your Christmas gift list? Who is bringing the Christmas gifts in Finland?
Olga

Post by Olga »

leonia wrote: Hello Olga, the pictures are so nice! and I agree to you: I thought the same, they must be siblings. Otherwise they would see each other as rivals. May be in their first year they can stay together, but I think later on they will divide.
To whom have you written your Christmas gift list? Who is bringing the Christmas gifts in Finland?
I have written to 'joulupukki'! Before Christmas I will have a new camera! If I do not get as present, I'll buy it on my own, but it will be from 'joulupukki'!

It's a long story 'what is the Finnish 'father Christmas'!! :laugh: He lives in Lapland in a 'mountain' named Korvatunturi! Our Chrismas time tradition is a mixture of old stories and religous legends and folklore - and religion, Christianity at same time. Everyone 'believes' somehow in the 'father Christmas'

I picked a little piece from wiki: ..In other countries, the figure of Saint Nicholas was also blended with local folklore. As an example of the still surviving pagan imagery, in Nordic countries the original bringer of gifts at Christmas time was the Yule Goat( joulu-pukki ), a somewhat startling figure with horns. ( :shake: 8-) )

In the 1840s however, an elf in Nordic folklore called "Tomte" or "Nisse" started to deliver the Christmas presents in Denmark. The Tomte was portrayed as a short, bearded man dressed in gray clothes and a red hat. This new version of the age-old folkloric creature was obviously inspired by the Santa Claus traditions that were now spreading to Scandinavia. By the end of the 19th century this tradition had also spread to Norway and Sweden, replacing the Yule Goat. The same thing happened in Finland, but there the more human figure retained the Yule Goat name. But even though the tradition of the Yule Goat as a bringer of presents is now all but extinct, a straw goat is still a common Christmas decoration in all of Scandinavia.

Joulupukki:

There he lives! :D

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I see he lives under a clear sky :rolleyes:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today at 9:00

10:18

There was an other squirrel too trying to come with the 'baby', but it didn't manage this time.
Olga

Post by Olga »

The same squirrels visited today, all what I saw. My camera is making tricks to me.. Photos are blurred.. I believe that I have handled the camera just as before but.. :puzzled:

at 9:30

Good, no-one there!

Hi, who's there?!

No-one, good, I am hungry!

What! Are you there or not.. camoon..
Olga

Post by Olga »

Oh, no, I knew.. there you are.

at 10:00, Oscar, perhaps it was the 'baby' who was about to come at same time but she didn't show herself..

I am not ready yet..

There is lot of nuts to eat still!!
Olga

Post by Olga »

at 15:00

Someone has tasted the apple :D

15:20

Is she (?) our 'baby'?

..I suppose, yes..
Olga

Post by Olga »

at 16:00

It is getting dark very early. The same squirrel is still eating:

..two squirrels seen!! :nod:

16:10

-What was that voice!

16:12

There has to be someone somewhere close to me!

- No, no-one. I just scared that somebody could surprise me and appear behind my back!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

:rolleyes:
Olga

Post by Olga »

My photos are so bad today.. :blush:

But Charley was beautiful as always:

at 10:00

Olga

Post by Olga »

At 15:00

Who is it :puzzled: It handled the fat ball with seemingly experience.. He/she opened it! At last when the fat ball had vanished it jumped on the branch to the right and begun to ate it.

leonia

Post by leonia »

:rotf: Ha ha, Olga, you are keeping not only a restaurant for squirrels, but a school as well!

If you show them how to open the window they will serve themselves . . . :mrgreen:

Thanks for your explanation of Christmas tradition in Finland. The straw goats I have seen as decoration here as well, but I think only few people know from where they originally come from.

Yesterday I was lucky in the morning: our little "Tufty-ear" (Pinselohr in German) visited me soon after I entered our bureau. But because I was just using the mobile for phoning my father I wasn't able to take a foto. But now that the net with the nuts is hanging a bit lower, he needs only a bit morning stretching to get the nuts. :rolleyes:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

This may not be the right place for a report on Russian weather, but as squirrels are mentioned, I had to come here!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/n ... 194905.stm
- The high temperatures have caused problems for wildlife according to ecologists. Hedgehogs and badgers have been unable to go into hibernation, while some species of red squirrel have not changed into their white winter coats
Olga

Post by Olga »

Jo UK wrote:This may not be the right place for a report on Russian weather, but as squirrels are mentioned, I had to come here!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/n ... 194905.stm
- The high temperatures have caused problems for wildlife according to ecologists. Hedgehogs and badgers have been unable to go into hibernation, while some species of red squirrel have not changed into their white winter coats
Hi :hi: Of course it is interesting to know news from Russia! I have not yet heard how are our Hedgehogs and Badgers for the moment, but here squirrels have been changing their color.. Well, perhaps the younger ones are a bit brownish still.

Tomorrow morning:

Someone has eaten half of the apple since yesterday evening :thumbs:

Olga

Post by Olga »

At 10:00

Hm.. it could be Oscar.. :innocent:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Let me think! Now I remember..

There has been some nuts here the other day..

Hi, where are my apple?
Olga

Post by Olga »

continues..

Olga

Post by Olga »

At 15:00 there was lot of life...

Olga

Post by Olga »

Twee-twee!
Olga

Post by Olga »

leonia wrote::rotf: Ha ha, Olga, you are keeping not only a restaurant for squirrels, but a school as well!

If you show them how to open the window they will serve themselves . . . :mrgreen:

Thanks for your explanation of Christmas tradition in Finland. The straw goats I have seen as decoration here as well, but I think only few people know from where they originally come from.

Yesterday I was lucky in the morning: our little "Tufty-ear" (Pinselohr in German) visited me soon after I entered our bureau. But because I was just using the mobile for phoning my father I wasn't able to take a foto. But now that the net with the nuts is hanging a bit lower, he needs only a bit morning stretching to get the nuts. :rolleyes:
Hi, leonia! For one time one squirrel pushed her nose inside the window. I even got a photo of her. I suppose it was Silk ear! Uh, it was a dangerous situation, - our dogs.. if they had noticed her--- uh.. Thanks heaven they didn't see the moment. :bow:

Nice to hear news from your little "Tufty-ear" (Pinselohr in German) :D

Return to “Seasons”