Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

Post by Olga »

Today Smiley came again! The injury seems not bad. Anyway it seem better, if I dare to say. Something has touched on the 'scar', maybe she has got a wound the other day. I took three small videos of her visit. The visit lasted for ten minutes.

It looks like stick.. :puzzled: seed? a cover (how to call it) of a dry wound? It seems to be very thin.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Smiley, at 15:02

today

Olga

Post by Olga »

The 'little dark item' seems not to harm her.. Smiley is all right!

On this screenshot it can be seen how thin that 'something' is:

Olga

Post by Olga »

:rotf: At the moment as I wrote the last post, I saw that Silk ear was pushing several nuts on her mouth!! I moved my head to see better: she hurried away!
Olga

Post by Olga »

It has been very hot weathers for weeks now. At last we got rain, a tropical rain, yesterday. I was about to take a video of the water streem under the feeder, of the sound of rain drops, but of course: no battery! :slap:

I got only one picture of a soaring wet Wood pecker:

After the rain we went with Nappu to an area some km to north from here, to the sandpit area. The heavy rain fall reveals wonderfull stones form the ground! The edges of the sandpits are dangerous.. :faint: But the stones had rolled to safety place.

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:loveshower: Lovely videos and pics Olga. Thank you for all the news from Squirrel Hill. :chick:
I think the squirrels have never looked so good and healthy since we first began to watch them,thanks to you and all the photos over 3 years (am I right ?) now.
Over many seasons anyway.!
I have never seen their colours so bright and they have many less scars too.
If I rememeber sometimes we saw terrible scars on some of the squirrels. Maybe they are fighting less ? Of course they are eating very well now.
They are lucky to have a Fairy Grandmother like you. :thumbs:

The video of Nappu playing was very short...are you sure that was not the male dog ? Afterwards the ran behind the fence to do what.. :peek: .... :rotf:
Goodnight now.!
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: macdoum! Yes, my other dog is a female, now 14 months old and she has her first real heat time. Our other dog has noticed the period. He did that before us! So he has to be a male :rotf:

What would be the best part of the surprising happening behind those yellow flowers close to the fence we do not share with our dogs. Not yet.

We have devided our house into two parts, one for each dog!
Olga

Post by Olga »

The day before yesterday I testified that two adult females may accept each others, quite well:

It was Silk ear who was the first guest. I saw that she bent her ear tops. And then I saw a familiar nose peeking..

The head of Smiley appeared there to see every other minute :D
Olga

Post by Olga »

But there was short of nuts this time. She chased Smiley away:

Silk ear ate more, she didn't eat the brown thin cover of nut! She behaved calm but was doubtful and alert. She too went away. Some ten minutes they were seen there.

Olga

Post by Olga »

She was handy to uncover each nut at same time as she got bitten a piece of the nut. It looked like as if she had eaten a miniature banana.

edit: I had put the last video for a second time here!! removed! :blush:
Olga

Post by Olga »

She was worried that there will be lack of nut in the future and she filled her mouth before she left!

I have a little video of this, but there is something wrong, PC did not allow to edit it! :puzzled:

edit:

let's see! Here it is:

Olga

Post by Olga »

I have seen Smiley visiting daily, but she seems to prefer to collect nuts in her mouth then to go with them elsewhere.
Smiley too is hanging around and seems to come as the first in the morning, and for the second time she comes in the evening.

Other squirrels have something to do elsewhere, no pups, no youngsters, no males haven't been to see.

Smiley in the morning on the 26th July at 9:45

Olga

Post by Olga »

Yesterday: Smiley, returned on the feeder in the late afternoon:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Today we got rain and thunder! Here is some moments of the rain seen and heard behind the glass.

Olga

Post by Olga »

It was about at 15:00 when the thunder begun. I had a window open in the kitchen. Some seconds of the rumbling.

A view from the other kitchen window, little beautiful stream had appeared there on the stone stairs in ten seconds:

Some animal picture is needed.. :D Nappu in the garden after the thunder:

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Nappu...you are looking very beautiful today. Have you been a good dog ? :innocent:

The ground looks lovely and green now. I hope the storm did no damage ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Good morning to Finnland! :wave:
Hope the thunderstorm did not damage anything! Nappu is a really cute dog! I really love those shots you make of Nappu looking out at the squirrels!

About Smiley taking many nuts - it's really funny to see how they try to take more than one nut if they are afraid they might be taken. We were feeding hazelnuts with the shell and if we put more than one nut on the place on the window sill, they tried to take both, which never worked as they are too big to be taken together in the mouth :rotf: So funny to see how the little mind tried to work out a solution! Just looked, but I don't have all of the photos on my work PC

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis Silvestris:
if we put more than one nut on the place on the window sill, they tried to take both, which never worked as they are too big to be taken together in the mouth :rotf: So funny to see how the little mind tried to work out a solution! Just looked, but I don't have all of the photos on my work PC
What funny! Thank you, you made my day! :rotf:

The thunder didn't make any bad. What was calming to see is that the storm and rumbling didn't made Nappu to scare, she was all calm, and the older dog even asked me to let him to go outdoors! To check out what's going on there. So many dogs are very scared by thunder that they escape even from their home yards.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Very nice pictures and videos Olga :hi: Nappu is a very beautiful dog :nod: I must admit that I don't like thunder at all :blush: but very often it occurs after a heat period. My cat is very afraid of thunder, and she is hiding behind the couch when it comes..We have been lucky so far this summer, not much thunder, and when it occurs it is not so near..Hope it lasts :unsure:
Olga

Post by Olga »

macdoum wrote:Nappu...you are looking very beautiful today. Have you been a good dog ? :innocent:

The ground looks lovely and green now. I hope the storm did no damage ?
Yes, the nature is at its most beautiful! It has been a very hot summer, the hottest in 23 years. But have got same rain too, so the hated 'dry season' maybe shall not bother that much as in some other summers.

I believe Nappu thinks that she really is a very good dog!

- Yes, I am a lovely dog! :loveshower: But why on the earth does my 'mom' not let me meet my boy friend.. :puzzled: I am sure he too likes me very much..

Return to “Seasons”