Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

Post by Felis silvestris »

:rotf:
It looks very comfortable!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis silvestris wrote::rotf:
It looks very comfortable!
Did you notice that the Squirrel Pub has a roof too - of transparent plastic! :rotf: I think the squirrel is sitting in.. how to say... in a nice and funny way.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

They have to sit dry, it's impossible they get wet while having snacks or dinner!
Actually only a glass of beer is missing there, the nuts to go with it are there already! :nod:
You know what your squirrels expect from you next? :mrgreen:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Ohe.. :wave: I hope everyone is well on Squirrel Hill.?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

macdoum wrote:Ohe.. :wave: I hope everyone is well on Squirrel Hill.?
:wave: Hello, hello macdoum!

Everything is all right. For some reason squirrels just do not come to the feeder. Little by little they visited more and more seldom at the end of summer. Then they stopped wholly. I have seen them further, climbing on trees, jumping from the rock on the top of hazels at the root of the hill. Today I saw one squirrel on the top of a young oak close to the dog fence. Eating?? Perhaps they like more of acorns than of peanuts.

There it is:

9:45:

This was how the feeder looked like at 9:45 today:

I have put nuts on the feeder, also on the other side of the house, every evening, and for birds, (for about 20 Great tits and 10 Blue tits).
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

This is a present for the Squirrel Hill people. :D
Three squirrels are released aftr rehab.

http://www.vimeo.com/26232743
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

:loveshower: How sweet! Thank you very much for the video, macdoum

I just guess that as it gets colder, and the ground will be icy, some squirrel come to search food on the feeders! We will see! :nod:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga :hi: It is very nice to hear and see from Squirrel Hill again..the bird feeding season is comming closer, and I am sure that the Squirrels will be back when there is less natural food :nod:
Macdoum, thank you for the beautiful little Squirrel film :wave:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga

Post by Olga »

Lussi05 wrote:Olga :hi: you have to see this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -nest.html
Thank you, Lussi for the news. There are no words how touching are these little squirrel pups..
Oh dear, I miss 'my squirrels' so much.. :sad:

I have also one little squirrel news from Finland. It happened last week. A squirrel pup went in a Swimming pool house, climbed there high on the walls and ceiling and it could be chased back outdoors. Firemen were asked for help, but it just escaped.. At last the pup found the way out. And who was waiting for the pup! The mother squirrel was there at the door:

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga wrote: Thank you, Lussi for the news. There are no words how touching are these little squirrel pups..
Oh dear, I miss 'my squirrels' so much.. :sad:

I have also one little squirrel news from Finland. It happened last week. A squirrel pup went in a Swimming pool house, climbed there high on the walls and ceiling and it could be chased back outdoors. Firemen were asked for help, but it just escaped.. At last the pup found the way out. And who was waiting for the pup! The mother squirrel was there at the door:

And the mother squirrel said "Where have you been ? Go home at once. Tonight I will tell your father how naughty you have been..!!"
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Olga, can your squirrels play football?

Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Thank you macdoum and Felis Silvestris.. hahhah.. :rotf: It was a bit surprising video.. :rotf: thank you!

I haven't seen my squirrels. I had to borrow some pictures which I found from our news paper's 'Reader's photographs':

Finnish Squirrels:

Two of the three photos have been taken in September - only the Squirrel eating strawberry is from summer.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Long time no see :wave:

Squirrels keep still hiding. Some times I have seen a squirrel on the top of the young oak, there far. It's alright, I miss them, but I believe they are fine.

This morning I saw something special from my window.

I saw this small flock of White tailed deer. They were four of five. Now I know what my dogs, especially Nappu is barking. She would like to go to shepherd them... or.. to chase them away from her hill?

My camera was not well adjusted for the rather bright light of the morning. So, I decided that the bluish color is alright if I find some suitable music for the video.

The music there behind an Old Pastoral Hymn from Dalarna, by Oskar Lindberg Vanha virsi Taalainmaan karjamajoilta
Old hymn from the cattle cottages in Dalarna
raw translatiopn from Finnish. The composition is played with ocarina
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

[quote="Olga"]
I saw this small flock of White tailed deer. They were four of five. Now I know what my dogs, especially Nappu is barking. She would like to go to shepherd them... or.. to chase them away from her hill?

My camera was not well adjusted for the rather bright light of the morning. So, I decided that the bluish color is alright if I find some suitable music for the video.

quote]

Olga its nice to see you and know you have a deer family as well on Squirrel Hill :faint: How are you going to feed them all in wintertime ?.. :rolleyes: :rotf:
Good video.
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Very nice music-video, Olga! As the deer were slowly exploring, I thought, "they are looking for an apple tree," then suddenly, there WAS one. :innocent:
Kitty KCMO
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Our squirrels are also nowhere to be seen! But in "their" garden a lot of work is going on, so maybe they shifted to a more quiet place. At the moment we have two rabbits coming in the morning for breakfast to the small grass patch in front of our windows.

The deer are really beautiful and the music is again very well chosen! :thumbs: You live in a very beautiful place! :wave:

leonia

Post by leonia »

Hello everyone, specially to Olga! :wave:

Our (white) storks are gone now, sorry that I was so busy with them, but now it's time to take over for the squirrels! :D
I haven't seen our squirrels only very seldom yet, the walnuts and chestnuts I put on the window sill are already there. Its already too warm for squirrel feeding (about 20 degrees C), but weather will change just before the next weekend and temperatures will go down to frost in the nights.
And then there will be a surprise for them: my collegues gave me a squirrel feeder for a birthday present this summer:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SL160_.jpg

And so there will be a new restaurant "Brown Nut" in winter! :shake:

NB: Felis silvetris, our squirrels will return in winter! I'm sure they will! :hi:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, Leonia :wave: Your new Squirrel restaurant looks very nice!

I have not seen here any of our squirrels lately. We have already had one frosty night, but squirrels did not return yet.

Our house will get a new small veranda, an open one. It has been constructed in front of the outdoor, side door, of my room, and there is two small windows on that wall, the back windows. There will be suitable place for birds or squirrels to eat. We will see. When the veranda is ready, I'll try to make for squirrels a 'restaurant' too, one only for them, and for birds an other feeder. The first one has to be right on front of the window, as earlier. Birds will then have their places to eat elsewhere, close to the house though... well, those are my plans. :D

Woodpeckers visit each day, from morning till late afternoon. Some of the last summer's WP chicks seem to have stayed here on the hill. I have seen a Robin too some times, and Blue tits and Great tits almost live on the feeder.

Today again, like every other day, I cleaned the feeder and also washed the window... I am waiting to see the first squirrel on this fall, soon!
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:wave:
We saw a squirrel today, carrying a nut and running up the tree very fast. :shake:
I still have some nuts in my desk drawer ( :rotf: ), when they pass more often I will try and see if they come back again. Otherwise I have to distribute menu cards for Leonia's restaurant :mrgreen:

Return to “Seasons”