Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
alice44

Re: Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

Post by alice44 »

Olga wrote:The second squirrel visitor for today:

A midday squirrel:

----------
Olga, I think this one and your avatar look sort of wise and inquisitive.

The woodpecker images are also very adorable.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Olga wrote::
A beautiful morning on the Squirrel hill
Olga, this picture is absolutely beautiful! :loveshower: No wonder the squirrels love your place! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

By the way, woodpecker! Yesterday I was at home by daylight (during this time of the year not so often) and I saw the holes in the office building next to where I live, which I thought are "man made", maybe for aeration or drainage of the roof (because they are quite far up) and were not there from the beginning, are not man-made but woodpecker-made! I saw one disappearing inside yesterday! :faint: On the weekend I have to see if I catch one with the camera! There are 3 holes so far.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis silvestris wrote:By the way, woodpecker! Yesterday I was at home by daylight (during this time of the year not so often) and I saw the holes in the office building next to where I live, which I thought are "man made", maybe for aeration or drainage of the roof (because they are quite far up) and were not there from the beginning, are not man-made but woodpecker-made! I saw one disappearing inside yesterday! :faint: On the weekend I have to see if I catch one with the camera! There are 3 holes so far.
:wave: Hi, what a pity of the house! :slap: People should perhaps to begin to feed them? Or are there old trees enough? They will return what ever people do to chase them further.. I believe.

For some years ago we stopped to feed birds in the late spring. One of the local Wood peckers begun to knock our veranda window frame.
At last the frame was almost to brake, and we made the decision to go on feeding him/her. The frame was saved, repaired with tin plate.

Now that we have about 5-6 Wood peckers here on the hill, we just can't think of stop the feeding, they would make holes on the hole house around I fear...wise birds 8-) Thanks heaven there are here lots of normal WP food too, I mean old trees in the forest, too. Their knocking on tree trunks can be heard each day from morning till evening. Some two or three WPs visit the feeder daily... Soon there has to be put those bigger fat balls: they love them!

Colder weathers are ahead - also snow is promised to be seen in the near future.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Olga wrote:
:wave: Hi, what a pity of the house! :slap: People should perhaps to begin to feed them? Or are there old trees enough? They will return what ever people do to chase them further.. I believe.
I don't think we have to pity the house, it is an office building, that was completely re-done (even partly torn down, we suffered several years with the big construction site right there, could not use the balcony and had lots of dirt and noise) and got an insulation of styrofoam, that's what the woodpecker opened and I guess even made a den. Since the woodpecker lives here since quite a few years, I guess there are enough trees with food around and over here they are a problem for buildings with this kind of insulation. If somebody starts to feed them, I guess even more birds would come and make holes to live there :puzzled:
I will try to make a photo over the weekend.

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have been looking but the woodpecker did not turn up. But I made a picture of the holes

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Those holes are huge.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis Silvestris - Those holes look just terrible! What should one do to repair them? :slap:

I know I have some where a photo of the Wood pecker sitting on the window sill of the veranda, behind the glass, knocking. I could not find it. Thanks heaven those window frames are of old time's hard wood, not rotten even though they are more 60 years old. We managed to repair them. Now the holes have been covered with tin plate, and the tin plate is covered with timber :D

This morning I saw two squirrels. They are seemingly more alert than in summer and in last years. Pictures later.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

The other day I saw the woodpecker disappear in the right hole.
When they did the renovation, I made photos, on this you can see the styrofoam blocks they used, the woodpecker sure has a nice den, they are quite thick!

I will keep an eye there to see what happens next. :unsure:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis Silvestris :wave

Those Wood peckers will be not loved too much.. I fear.. :hi:

poor of them.. :unsure:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today was a nice day here. It is still quite warm during day + 7!

The first squirrel appeared at sunrice:

It was quite dark still - I have added some light on the video in two parts.

Olga

Post by Olga »

The next squirrel I saw at 10:00

I think it is an other squirrel

:laugh: well eaten during summer? Could it be a female?.. the first one in the morning was a male.

At last there is a sun ray to be seen!

Olga

Post by Olga »

In the late afternoon I noticed something in the sky:

It begun this way:

at 15:57

at 16:00

I stopped my work, hurried indoors, returned on the veranda and put the camera on:
Olga

Post by Olga »

:shock:

at 16:05
8 minutes from the Sunset in 30 seconds

at 16:14
6 minutes from the Sunset in 25 seconds

:faint:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

WOW Olga, what amazing and special colours :faint: Thank you for showing them to us :wave:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The colours are really amazing.

Return to “Seasons”