Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Lussi05

Re: Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

Post by Lussi05 »

Poor wet, but very sweet squirrel :nod: Nice to see that everything is ok on Squirrel Hill Olga, and thank you for nice photos :wave:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hello :wave:

Here is the video of Smiley cleaning her paws while she was eating.

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Smiley is very cute.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Four days have gone and I have not seen any squirrel. I have no other idea why is that, but there might be lots of cones on pines and spruces this year, and everything else that squirrels eat.

A piece of a sweet squirrels news:

An Animal Protection Association here in Finland, in Turku, happened to put in public a photo of a rescued squirrel pup in a wool caps. They take care of orphaned squirrels during spring and summer, and all squirrels love to sleep in old wool caps. Squirrel also love to 'tear' them.. they take loose the tassels and other decorations, and then they accept the wool caps. It is told also that it is better if the wool caps have become also a bit 'dirty' in use, by pee of their own.. Even ten squirrel pup like to sleep together in one cap!

They have had about 15 pups this summer, and soon it will be time to let them go free in the nature.

They told that squirrel pups need badly more wool caps! People have now sent them hundreds, if not thousads of these wonderful sleeping bags... There are also other small mammals who need them! I'll put here some of the photos they have taken:

There is a video too:
http://www.yle.fi/alueet/turku/2011/08/ ... oplay=true
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Their pictures are awfully sweet!
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Oh, now I know what you meant in the morning with Photobucket. You exceeded your bandwidth :slap:
But the photos will be back after a while. Any case, I had the chance to see them yesterday just before I turned the PC off to go to bed, and I also found them very cute!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave:

Today I was told that a squirrel was seen to walk along the telephone line over the little road at the root of the hill. It was not coming to our direction. I don't know why squirrels have not visited lately.. for more than one week. Several Great tits and Blue tits continue eating here. Also one of the Woodpecker chicks visit daily, a couple of time.

Little by little squirrels visited more seldom.. perhaps there are nuts also on the Hazel bushes, fresh and tasty cones every where. If so, that's fine! But I hope that some squirrel will return, in the next fall, if not before.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I thought I read the cones have been scarce for several years so maybe they are just enjoying the fruits (seeds) of a better year.
Olga

Post by Olga »

I saw one squirrel on the feeder at 7:30! But it left before I had taken camera at hands! There was no nuts at the moment, just oats flakes for birds.

I missed the picture, what a morning.. :blush: For 20 seconds ago I missed the BS picture too..

Squirrels are there in the forest of the Squirrel hill. They are not starving!
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I expect the squirrels on Squirrel Hill will be alright. Maybe they are doing some sight-seeing :shake: Going here and there to see if any special food is available.
Is Nappu still in solitary confinement ?... :whistling:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Macdoum!

Dogs are free! The difficult time (for humans) was over last weekend!

In the morning

A bit later, today

:shake: BTW, yesterday I saw with my own eyes two squirrels jumping on the parking place. They were too far to catch with camera. They were like not in good relation, the other one was running after the other one. Soon they climbed on different pines.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Nanu doesn't look all that happy with the situation.. :mrgreen: ... :rotf:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

macdoum wrote:Nanu doesn't look all that happy with the situation.. :mrgreen: ... :rotf:
Nanu--> :sad:

:laugh: You noticed it! I tried to choose a not revealing picture, but.. :rotf:

Yes, he..well, he will be alright soon! I know him.. Nappu, a young little Miss Hooligan, she is so lively and always going to do something.. nobody else knows what...now she run towards me and licked the camera.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Like when I got my Sam a giant young male cat and Ms Small the tiny sedate older female -- so tiring to have to share with a young hooligan.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga wrote::wave: Macdoum!

Dogs are free! The difficult time (for humans) was over last weekend!

A bit later, today

Image.
The very picture of pure misery..poor,poor Nanu. :laugh:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

But Nappu is not eating out of his bowl
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:But Nappu is not eating out of his bowl
Perhaps they are waiting for their mistress to give them the go-ahead,like all well brought-up doggies. ? :whistling:
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Squirrels have not visited at the feeder. But earlier today one of them jumped over the small road just in front of my car, 50 m from our house. There was no danger, I saw her ( I think it was Silk ear!) from distance! Later in the afternoon hubby told that there was some 'silly squirrel digging something in the soil in the midst of the parking place, I had to wait till it was ready, it didn't move aside'! :laugh:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

'silly squirrel digging something in the soil in the midst of the parking place, I had to wait till it was ready, it didn't move aside'!
:rotf:
So you know now where your nuts are going :mrgreen:
Your dogs are really cute, and I am not really a dog person!
alice44 wrote:
But Nappu is not eating out of his bowl

maybe the bowl was already empty and this "look" of utter misery was meant to make Olga to give a refill?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: I am so happy that the heat time is over! :faint: Nanu didn't want to eat for several days...uh,+ every kind of other surprises. Now both doggies behave in a way that does not make me feel that I am evil person, cruel to my dogs whom I say that I love! :mrgreen:

I have seen one squirrel yesterday early in the morning. She/he was hurry, and spent only one second on the feeder.. why.. :puzzled:

Everything is as earlier. Perhaps me too should construct a Squirrel Pub!

This is a 'Reader photo' from our afternoon paper:

'Pub Oravan Colo' = Pub Squirrel Hole <--- raw translation

Return to “Seasons”