Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Spring and Summer 2011 in Finland

Post by Olga »

And one photo more. I saw the squirrel with my bare eyes from 60 cm far. Those scars didn't look bad at all! 8-) They are dry, only the fur is somewhat missing and poor at the places.

I tried to find some example of the wounds that Anja had, from the thread of Finnish Spring and summer 2010, but there are seen also other well known squirrels who had wounds, too, not only Anja. But :unsure: -- yes, I let them be there.. all those matters belong to the past. We all, people and squirrels, have a new Summer ahead.. :laugh:
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Oh my, she must have had a very bad encounter with a predator! Luckily she recovered and looking at the new photo, she seems to do very well! She has a very cute face! :loveshower:
I just showed a few of your pictures to my son and he also loved them. Okay, he still can't really understand his mother's newly vigorated craze for all sorts of animals ... yesterday he was greeted with the shocked news about the mallard, so today he carefully asked, when he came, if everything's okay :rotf:

Edit: The music in your videos is nice! May I ask what it is?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis silvestris wrote:Oh my, she must have had a very bad encounter with a predator! Luckily she recovered and looking at the new photo, she seems to do very well! She has a very cute face! :loveshower:
I just showed a few of your pictures to my son and he also loved them. Okay, he still can't really understand his mother's newly vigorated craze for all sorts of animals ... yesterday he was greeted with the shocked news about the mallard, so today he carefully asked, when he came, if everything's okay :rotf:

Edit: The music in your videos is nice! May I ask what it is?
The music is by Johan Sebastian Bach, Invention No. 4, BWV 775 and Invention No. 3, BWV 774, I found them from youtube music store, free.. :D

Some of my friends, those who know something my 'hobby', wonder what do I see in squirrels that interesting! Kind greetings from me to your son, welcome to the club.

I think I know who lurked and attacked the squirrels here last summer. I fear it was a female cat who moved here to a neighbor house, down the Squirrel Hill, last summer - the poor cat had lost her owner ans she got new home here. (I got to know this fact only in March 2011). I had seen the cat here at the time when squirrels begun get wounds, in July-August.. But: It's important to remember, I can't be sure for 100% that it was she.. I love cats, too. I have had five cats during my life...
:faint:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I thought it was Bach! Very nice and I like it very much.

Yes, there are cats who catch squirrels. One colleague told us about a cat in her neighbourhood, which also caught squirrels, and there are cats which even catch rabbits! But usually the squirrels will know soon and try to avoid them.
As my name suggests, I am a cat person (mine is in my avatar), but that does not mean that I not equally much love birds, squirrels, mice etc. I am glad my cat is a housecat and - though maybe sad for her - will never catch a live bird, mouse or squirrel.
And we (people and I in my office) opened the window and chased the crow away which was after one of our squirrels! :rant:

I will pass on your greets to my son, thank you!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Olga

Post by Olga »

The squirrel of today, :blush:

This squirrel has been coming and going all the day long. Even though my younger dog was lying close by. Nappu probably has learnt that she can't catch squirrels, and that that the squirrel does not threat her by any mean.

Nappu was watching when the squirrel run on the roof edge:

----

Nappu was bitten by a wasp, yesterday, and her snout begun to swell, fast. I didn't see the moment of their 'fight'. Just noticed her swollen nose and whining. I was not sure if it was a wast or a viper.. We went to veterinary immediately, and Nappu was helped. She was really surprised of the happenings. Let's see if she continues to hunt wasps.. 8-)

A short story of my dog in three pictures.

yesterday, back at home, resting after the visit to the vet:

----
Today at 19:30

alice44

Post by alice44 »

My Sammy (silly cat) had his paw swell huge, he got feverish and I was very worried. The next morning he seemed okay and I deduced that maybe it was a bee sting. He still hunts flying creatures. My former cat Flash had an ant bite her and get stuck on her paw (I had to pull it off after it was dead). He paw did not swell up, but she stopped attacking ants. So you will just have to wait and see if Nappu learned her lesson.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga wrote:
--Nappu was bitten by a wasp, yesterday, and her snout begun to swell, fast. I didn't see the moment of their 'fight'. Just noticed her swollen nose and whining. I was not sure if it was a wast or a viper.. We went to veterinary immediately, and Nappu was helped. She was really surprised of the happenings. Let's see if she continues to hunt wasps.. 8-)

A short story of my dog in three pictures.

----
Today at 19:30

:nod: I think we can safely say the Nappu is feeling very well today. :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

:loveshower:

Today appeared as squirrel whom I am almost sure that I know, his name is Lonely boy

I'll add at the end of pics to follow (about 19 pics) some links to see of him in last last summer - I found the old pics quite easily, thanks to the idea to give names :thumbs:

Lonely boy in last summer 2010, 2nd July, his fur has turned red brown:

Lonely boy today, still gray:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Today at 10:51, Lonely boy was seen.. I don't remember when I have seen him since last fall..

Olga

Post by Olga »

continues..

Olga

Post by Olga »

continues, Lonely boy in 19 pictures:

Olga

Post by Olga »

continues..

Olga

Post by Olga »

.. the last three photos ( of 19) of Lonely boy today in the morning:

Suddenly he jumped down on the ground and walked away:

Here one can look how he looked out in last summer 2010:

July 9th 20120

viewtopic.php?p=76846#p76846
---

July 2nd, 2010
viewtopic.php?p=76460#p76460

----
June 15th, 2010
viewtopic.php?p=75217#p75217

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:loveshower: Happy news.! Its good to know the 'Old Friends' are still there.
:hi: Lonely Boy.

Who's turn is it to put captions on Olgas squirrel photos ? :unsure:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I admire how you recognize them all again. Well, okay, I also knew which of the red and which of the brown ones came to get their nuts, though there were quite a few passing through. :loveshower:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis silvestris wrote:I admire how you recognize them all again. Well, okay, I also knew which of the red and which of the brown ones came to get their nuts, though there were quite a few passing through. :loveshower:
:thumbs: Yes, I think I know for the moment Anja and Lonely boy and (edit: the Baby squirrel with a 'big' head). I am not sure who are the other ones, maybe one or two who visit more seldom.

Yesterday I saw well Anja's scar. She seems not suffer of it, but there is a reddish and bald ( dry and smooth) area (2,5 x 2,5cm or so) on the left side of her body. Maybe the color is normal, the color of her skin. I have not had time to choose and upload pics - garden works need to be done now!

:wave: I'll put several pics of Anja here later in the evening or tomorrow morning - I want to choose the all best shots - I took them more than 70!! :laugh: But I can't promise that my photos are sharp enough to show the scar well - I saw it better with my bare eyes.. Poor of her. But she behaved as always, alert but not scared, no 'jumpy', she was again meditating, watching around and eating a lot!
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today early in the morning, before 6:00 I saw a 'new' female squirrel. I think I know who she is.. :loveshower: I am uploading a video of her.

The pics of Anja from 2-3 last days are ready to be submitted.

The first ones, the 8th May, 15:50 and forwards to 16:00:

continues..
Olga

Post by Olga »

Anja, 8th May:

She was eating most of the time, but she turned to watch around every other five seconds..

Olga

Post by Olga »

Anja, 8th May:

Olga

Post by Olga »

More pics of Anja 8-) 9th May:

The pics are almost just same as on the 8th May.. hm.. :puzzled: all right, I'll add those pics that I have chosen but later on, I'll remove some of them. I have to see here which one of the best photos tell more of the personal traits of Anja.

Return to “Seasons”