Autumn and Winter 2011-12 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Autumn and Winter 2011-12 in Finland

Post by Olga »

It is interesting that this young dog does not bark to the squirrels. She followed a good while the squirrel's stepping here and there on the feeder branches.

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

The lonely squirrel on this dark morning. It seemed as if the sun had not risen at all today.
I have increased a bit light with help of windows movie maker - I don't know if the video became better that way.. :D

alice44

Post by alice44 »

It is interesting my sister's new dog also almost never barks -- not at the squirrels or the cats or the post man. Their previous border collie (max is probably only part border collie) barked at the squirrels (and caught one once).
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

It's really amazing. I told my colleague yesterday about your dog looking at the squirrels and in the evening I see another picture like I had described it to her!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

It's winter! But my Geranium Sanguineum is making blossom!

I took the photo today one hour after sunset, at 16:20.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Olga, here I think there are rhododendrons about blooming, but I do not think any of the Geranium Sanguineum is blooming. (I think I call them all wild geraniums even though there are different varieties some of mine are "weeds" and some I bought and planted.)

And you have those pretty orange lantern plants that have been on sale outside the grocery store recently.

I took a picture of my Geraniums this afternoon, the ones that look most like yours, the leaves seem very similar, but mine are mostly no longer green. We have had at least two frosts, which pretty much means winter is here.

viewtopic.php?p=119922#p119922
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

alice44 wrote: And you have those pretty orange lantern plants that have been on sale outside the grocery store recently.
Alice, it is a Physalis, and they have that little orange berry inside which is edible. They are quite fashionable over here for decorating food, especially sweet dishes.

Olga - I saw a squirrel running today :shake: so they are still around. I think they found so much to eat and hide, they did not have to come to human beings for it.
Weather is really strange, but over here it has turned now. It was raining and storming over the weekend and today morning the rain had also snow in it.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis silvestris wrote: Alice, it is a Physalis, and they have that little orange berry inside which is edible. They are quite fashionable over here for decorating food, especially sweet dishes.

Olga - I saw a squirrel running today :shake: so they are still around. I think they found so much to eat and hide, they did not have to come to human beings for it.
Weather is really strange, but over here it has turned now. It was raining and storming over the weekend and today morning the rain had also snow in it.
:wave: What nice to hear that your squirrels are there too!

About the weather: The same has been happening here! Quite warm, cloudy, nice sunsets. And stormy winds, rain, water, hails and today: snow!! :loveshower: at 16:30

Olga

Post by Olga »

My juniper and two apple trees!

Olga

Post by Olga »

This was how it looked in the morning, just after the sun rice at 9:18:

The picturs have been captured from videos (will be uploaded later on...)

A great tit was about the fly against the squirrel. It turned way in the air. But it desided to returned and it turned direction one more time:

Stopped in the air:

She was flying like backwards:

:laugh: There she comes back!
Olga

Post by Olga »

The same squirrel was there till 10:00

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

The weather is really unpredictable these days,flowering and green lawns in the morning, and snow in the afternoon :rolleyes: Here we have not seen one snowflake yet this season, and that is very unusual.... :puzzled:
Very nice pictures of your flowers, snow and Squirrels Olga :wave:
Olga

Post by Olga »

This is the very first video of the squirrel today at sun rice:

The were no nuts left for the moment, but the squirrel stayed on a branch to wait.

A Great tit makes a approaching to the feeder, but.. hah :laugh: .. she turned around in the air.. you will see:

Olga

Post by Olga »

This time I left my camera standing on the self and make the video on it's own..

She was eating her stomach full.

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

The sequense where the Great Tit is flying towards the Squirrel is really great :loveshower:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Yes, Lussi, it looks nice. They are skilled to fly! I have put that video to run two times slower on those 2 seconds. It's the video after the very first video above.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

The sequence with the tit is really funny :laugh: And the squirrel is very hungry!

alice44

Post by alice44 »

It is amazing what that bird can do in the air.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Just before sun rice:

Here I am!

- Twe!

Olga

Post by Olga »

There you are, I see!

Return to “Seasons”