Autumn and Winter 2011-12 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Autumn and Winter 2011-12 in Finland

Post by Olga »

Two videos from yesterday:

A Magpie and a Blackbird tasting the fatball.

The visitor of today, the same as yesterday, I think:

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

I wish a Merry Christmas to all from Squirrel Hill in Finland!

This year the Chrismas was black as you can see. Nappu is there watching the little Christmas tree on the rock. Nanu is tasting his snack under the table. People have eaten and gone to rest.. :D

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Merry Christmas Olga, and thank you for sharing a piece of your celebration with us. It looked very nice :wave:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Happy Christmas to all our friends on Squirrel Hill,especially to the 'mother' of all the animals. :D
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

As usual I find Nappu especially cute.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Thanks, Olga, for sharing the pictures of your Christmas with us, I hope that in the meantime the storm is over and it did not hit you too badly and also all the furry friends will come back for their nuts soon without being harmed! :wave: I think we all here are a bit worried about you and Ame out there!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Especially with all those beautiful trees on Squirrel Hill -- I hope you are all well there.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Your Christmas table looked so inviting, Olga. I hope the storm did not cause terrible problems for you there. We read of all the damage caused by the winds, & we wonder if you & your family & animals are OK?
Kitty KCMO
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga, I hope everything is ok with you all, people & animals, on Squirrel Hill?
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I found some news about Finland's power cuts
Poor Olga. Electricity and mobile phones are affected.

http://english.eastday.com/e/111227/u1a6278489.html
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Olga's Squirrel Hill is in Kirkonummi.
Here is a news piece about power and water cuts in that area.
Please can someone translate?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo
I found this story in English

http://yle.fi/uutiset/teksti/news/2011/ ... 53255.html

it says lightening in that region was the big problem.

I suspect the problem might be near her house, so with only one or two houses effected those power problems are the last to be fixed
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Jo UK wrote:Olga's Squirrel Hill is in Kirkonummi.
Here is a news piece about power and water cuts in that area.
Please can someone translate?
I forgot the link
http://www.kirkkonummi.fi/ajankohtaista ... konummella
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Google translated;
Electricity and water situation returning to normal in Kirkkonummi.
. Monday's storm in a large part of kirkkonummelaisista households remained without electricity and / or water. On Tuesday, the problem is mainly concerned Veikkola area where power lines have been widely under fallen trees.

The water pump will start soon now that the Espoo side, this pump station has been introduced. . Veikkola health center has been closed today, but tomorrow, since customers can once again be received. Veikkola People can still apply for their own water containers for the transport of water from the car Rapids Square. Myös Lapland is also the village sports field, next to the water distribution point. Veikkola day-care centers, health clinics and libraries have been closed on Tuesday due to a power outage.

Municipal day care, the situation has returned to normal in all areas and are on call day-care centers are in operation from Wednesday to earlier indicated that. Gesterbyn exception of kindergarten, which is closed on Wednesday and the kids still managed Finnsbackan kindergarten. Jolkbyn kindergarten days in the treatment of children has been moved to Heikkila in preschool.Children can be picked up at day care Heikkilä. 18 asti. 18 up. Then turn the treatment of the children go back to Jolkbyn preschool. Since Veikkola area there is no electricity and no water is considered a safety risk due to on call day-care centers closed today, Tuesday.

Municipal officials and management in West Uusimaa Rescue Department Fire Chief Martin Sneck have met regularly to assess the situation.

We inform on the situation on a regular basis.

A water supply plant Briefing: tel 0800 0700 1 (24 h, recording the listening is free of charge)
For more information: Communications Manager Patrick Fagerström, tel 050 414 0627 or
s-posti e-mail . .

(Updated 27.12. At 21:30)
Best I could do and google too. :mrgreen:
Did translaation but copy/paste,google insisted in putting both texts. :rant:
I do hope that by now Olga has electricity back
Ame signalled in 'Boarsland' that her power was back.!
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

:loveshower: We got electricity, water and heating back at 00:00! For 50 minutes ago!

This was how it looked last night. The picture is from the only road to the human world from Squirrel Hill!

In the morning:

But we were lucky here on the Squirrel Hill. All houses are all right here on the neighborhood. Just 15-20 old, half dead spruces have fallen down. We were without el just about 40 hours. I baked cookies in the fireplace :laugh: and coffee with a little primus.
Olga

Post by Olga »

I corrected the wrong photo above..

In the morning today, the 27th:
a female:

soon after the female had gone, a male:

Some more pics in the daylight, and perhaps some kind of storm videos. My camera was the only machine that had some electricity left!

It is still stormy, but it is not so bad anymore. What great that they corrected the problems that fast. We were scared to be without road, el, store, food, water for five days! :headroll:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Olga!! :loveshower: Welcome back! What a relief to hear you are OK & the damage was not too severe (bad enough, though). Thank you for the pictures. And the story of baking cookies in the fireplace. There are more storms coming, if reports given here are correct, so I hope you stay warm & safe.
Kitty KCMO
Olga

Post by Olga »

.. in Kirkkonummi
Päivitys 27.12. Update 27.12. klo 21.30: Veikkolassa vettä jälleen klo 24. 21.30: Veikkola water again at 24

That Veikkola village is where I use to drive every other day, 7 km far from here to the bigger store. Veikkola was mentioned in our radio on every news today. There are the worst damages here in Kirkkonummi, I guess, but no people harmed, some houses got damages by fallen trees.. We got water from Veikkola in the afternoon, after the road was possible to drive again.

Oh, it feels so good to be back here again!

Good night :wave: dear squirrel friends!

hhah.. :rotf: my cookies in the fire place.. we had eaten all, and there was no other possibility get more than to put the cookies on the embers!.. yummy yummy, roasted cookies.

:offtobed:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga wrote:I corrected the wrong photo above..

Some more pics in the daylight, and perhaps some kind of storm videos. My camera was the only machine that had some electricity left!

It is still stormy, but it is not so bad anymore. What great that they corrected the problems that fast. We were scared to be without road, el, store, food, water for five days! :headroll:
I am happy Olga that things are slowly returning to 'normal'. So happy that you and the family are safe. :nod:
I hear of more storms for Thursday ? Prepare,if you can,you never know !
I hope the soup is heating up right now ! Bon Appetit.! :D
EDIT
Olga,better boil the water for the coffe,if it has been off,its safer. :wave:
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Those cookies look fantastic, Olga! :thumbs: I think they were a source of comfort during all this trouble. Goodnight, sleep well, tomorrow will be better let us hope. :wave:
Kitty KCMO

Return to “Seasons”