Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Olga

Re: Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

Post by Olga »

Some pictures taken when the pup all ready had chased the male away. The male tried one more time... in vain.. But he left baby alone at last without any quarrel. It's interesting. But I remember well that I have seen the same happening in last summer too: a 'baby' (a young one, born probably in the early spring) hit an adult male on face.
I saw the attack, but did not get photo or video.

14th June at 21:00

Here the adult is about to come back for the third time. No luck..

On the previous post there is seen how the adult climbed on the roof.
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

The pup (is it the always the same, I don't know) today:

The lighting was like that almost all the day long..

The pup was again all calm, no hesitations, he knew how to make.. he walked along the branches to the other corner of the house, then he climbed on the wall to the other side of the house, and only there it jumped on the ground. No dogs there.. :D
Olga

Post by Olga »

I think I know in which spruce their nest is. It is on the left side of the parking place (it's a small parking place, 16 x 10 m). I just saw an adult female watching me carefully there, she sat on a spruce branch about 7 m far from me. The spruce is about 12-15 m high. She stared at me and Nappu. I didn't say anything, and Nappu too was quiet.. Then we left to the stores.

I just hope that everything goes all right with the pups.. There are dangers here as well as almost everywhere: cars, an occasional passerby cat, foxes, prey birds.. :unsure:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Beautiful, beautiful pictures, and a brave little pup :headroll: Although I feel a bit sorry for the older male, which do not allowed to approach the tempting food :help: Thank you Olga :wave:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Lussi05 wrote:Beautiful, beautiful pictures, and a brave little pup :headroll: Although I feel a bit sorry for the older male, which do not allowed to approach the tempting food :help: Thank you Olga :wave:
Hi, Lussi! :nod: There are nuts or sun flower seeds also in the other feeder, too, on the other side of the house.. Well, I saw the pup there too, today in the afternoon.. :rotf: Of course there can be found here also 'normal' I mean 'natural' food for all squirrels. I don't think there are here too much squirrels.

It's relieving to see that squirrels don't prefer to 'fight' for food, that an adult, two times bigger and stronger than a pup, accepts to go away if the stubborn young one does not want to share nuts with him and does not wish his company.
Manu

Post by Manu »

The "pup" is a brave,cheeky little guy :laugh: .
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga wrote:Hi, Alice! You are not alone.. :D Me the pup makes speechless, it's something almost too much...
(I'll test if the tools of youtube could make the videos a bit 'better', by some additional contrast.. or something. Lighting was a bit difficult for me - I am not a photgrapher at all!! )
Olga How to improve colour/contrast is explained by Lucy in Technical questions.
Here; viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

Lucy's post is 5th February 2012

Of course we enjoy all of your videos but if you are not happy with one maybe you can try Lucy's tip.

Also in Conversations,the Picnic Grounds, I put a video of a cat who adopted a tiny kit/ baby squirrel if you want to peek.
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

Thank you, macdoum!

I have used those tools. Sometimes I am just unsure if the youtube tools make the video better.. it depends..

Here are two versions of same video:

yesterday, two adults:

edited:

original:
Olga

Post by Olga »

The baby squirrel visited several times. This video has been made of three-four fragments. The baby escaped to the big pine, e g, Nappu was quarding him for one hour. The baby could have jumped on the roof, but it didn't do that. It climbed down only after I took Nappu inside.

edited:Stabilization+Fluke
16th June at 9:00 - 19:00

Nappu listening to the voices of late evening:

16th June at 22:35
edited:Stabilization
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today in the morning I saw two female squirrels at breakfast, one after the other. Since then I have been busy, but I have put more nuts on the feeder if I noticed it is empty.

At 14:30 I was lucky to see the baby squirrel very good! The window was open and I happened to be there:

..and then: Bertha appeared and chased the pup away for several times. At last she seemed to prefer to chase away me too!! :rotf: Without warning she jumped almost on my hands, on the windowsill, she was about 5 cm from camera ... it was a pity that the camera focused to the feeder! I said "oi, kauheeta..huh.. :D " (oh dear, my goodness,..huh)

Olga

Post by Olga »

:thumbs: I have corrected the order of the previous videos above, the names had gone wrong..

The same happened again, for some ten minutes ago.. The pup insisted to come at same time with an eating adult female (was it Bertha I'm not sure for the moment).. And of course, I can't know if the pup I see, is each time the one and same.
Olga

Post by Olga »

some pics from today's videos:

The first adult females at 9:00 in the morning before the rain started:

Bertha and who?? Supposedly not Bertha (Bertha's fur is darker.., but I can't recognize her nor the second one either..

Olga

Post by Olga »

14:30:

The nose fur of the pup was soaring wet:

Olga

Post by Olga »

continues.. I tried to follow their coming and going.. too difficult.. they are extremely fast..

Bertha watching after the pup who was running on the lawn one more time to come back:

Olga

Post by Olga »

I think I have made three videos of the pup and Bertha today, but now one of them is missing.. sorry for the mess there was..
I removed the duplicate that was there above... 8-)
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

The little pup is adorable, and so is Nappu when she is listening to the exciting evening sounds..Thank you for pictures and videos, nice to hear your voice :D
Olga

Post by Olga »

Lussi05 wrote:The little pup is adorable, and so is Nappu when she is listening to the exciting evening sounds..Thank you for pictures and videos, nice to hear your voice :D
Heh, yes it was my voice.. I have tried to hide my presence and to avoid to be heard, but those two words are like a 'proof' that the squirrel tried to chase me away from the window!! :rotf:

Here are two more videos of today:

I have left the sound on these videos. I hate that my camera itself is really noisy.(rattle rattle, click click, prr-pr-pr-rprrrrrrr naps) but the jumps and steps and other noise that squirrels make are somewhat fun to hear..

The pup returns again and again, for 6-7 times. The female is some one else, not Bertha. This one has some tassel fur left (Mops? Or 'Smiley' from last year??.. oh my, who knows.. :D )

alice44

Post by alice44 »

The little wet squirrel is about as cute as a squirrel can get.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Good morning :wave:

Tree sparrows have been nesting on Squirrel hill! :loveshower:

I was leaving for a walk with dogs, but I noticed the Tree sparrow feeding a chick under the window. Nuts have been fallen on the ground by squirrels. Nappu was impatient and is protesting on the background of the video.

Imagepicasion.com
Manu

Post by Manu »

@Olga. So nice pictures of the "wet" quirrel :laugh:

We have rebuilt last year the front of the house and now the sparrows have discovered that they can nest in the new shutters. Now a pair of sparrows nests in the window of our bedroom and I don't open this window :rotf: . And the make a lot of noise and my husband isn't amused :whistling:

Return to “Seasons”