Winter in Finland 2012/13

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Lussi05

Re: Winter in Finland 2012/13

Post by Lussi05 »

Little Nanu is so lovely, and he is a handsome, young, dog too. Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing.
:loveshower:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Maybe they got a bit puzzled by the cut trees? But I'm sure as soon as it is winter, they will find their way to the filled feeders!
I am also waiting to see our squirrels, have taken my camera a few times, but they never show up when I am ready and have the camera with me. :unsure: They seem to know! Image
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Home is where the heart is, and all the nuts..at Squirrel Hill :loveshower:
I am sure they will come home when winter and snow arrives, too..we will wait patiently :nod:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Nanu's earlier pups, in the year 2005. They were born at the same place where Nappu herself (if everything goes fine!! please, put fingers crossed!) was born, in Porvoo (90km from here)
I can't help putting a video I took of the litter:

Seven pups, three weeks old, 2005. But for the moment everything is if, if and if...

I am not among the people who are talking about dogs there.. 8-) They are two breeders who are talking about their experiences about easy litters and of some not that easy ones, about how the puppies looks like,..there were three 'mini Nanus'..
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:loveshower: sooo cute!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Olga

Post by Olga »

I'll go on following the Finnish nature on the Squirrel Hill, the winter time to come, of course, the snow fall, birds, but not that much news of dogs be cause we are in Looduskalender! :rolleyes:

As soon I see squirrels, I'll hurry to tell here the news.

I have to be patient with dogs, - there shall be not much news about them for some...I believe not during some 1-2 weeks. The best is to just keep a watchful 'third eye' on them, to be with them and to let them be in peace and live their life. Everything is up to Nanu ... :unsure:
No-one knows yet.

This fall has been a quite warm, cloudy and very wet.. I just wonder, I fear, that we will get snow falls a lot this winter. It's raining almost always! :slap:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

We sure would like to also hear from them, when there are news, and dogs are "nature" too, and belong to Squirrel Hill. If you feel they don't belong here, there is "Members Important Animals" here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53 - and Nanu and Nappu are surely your important animals!

Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis silvestris wrote:We sure would like to also hear from them, when there are news, and dogs are "nature" too, and belong to Squirrel Hill. If you feel they don't belong here, there is "Members Important Animals" here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53 - and Nanu and Nappu are surely your important animals!
:thumbs: Oh yes, you are right! These dogs are said (..proved scientifically, too) to be 'an original dog race'. The Sami people have brought them here for hundreds of years ago. They were reindeer herding dogs, but not hunting dogs, never ever. These dogs have not been 'bred' or 'refined' on the same way as many other dog races are, almost not at all. There in Lapland they have lived through the times as an important everyday company and memeber of a 'migratory people' - depending on herds of reindeer.

During the second world war the Sami people, and all people who lived there in Lapland, experienced a catastrophe, they were commanded to move away - from wide areas there. I do not go in details, but these dog were forced to be killed, not allowed to move with their owners, but some dogs were left alone. Not all were killed.

Then in the 1960-70, some people traveled throughout Lapland and searched for the survived individuals of these dogs, interviewed tens and tens Sami peole who had returned and now lived there etc. These dogs were not high appreciated. They were like too 'mundane, what-ever-dogs, even trivial'. It was the time of 'snowmobiles', used to keep the reindeer herd in order instead of dogs.

But these people, after several years' efforts, managed to save the race. The race is continually examined scientifically, DNA etc, as I said.. They are healthy, they live long (up to 15-16-17 years age), they are social and friendly and they love to work! They are Sami dogs, Finnish Lapdogs.

These dogs have 'relatives' around the northern part of the Globe, in Norway, Sweden, Russia etc, perhaps in Greenland and Alaska, too!

I am sorry if I made some English errors.. you know, I do not speak English! :D

I have to add that there are here many place names here around Squrrel Hill which originate of pure Sami language. They have lived here far in the time. Even the name of our village is 'Lapinkylä' (= 'Lappish village' ) And the most appreciated Natural Park of Nuuksio (a big forest area with lakes) close to us, is Noux by its original name, it means = Swan in Sami language,.. just to mention. - Well, actual Lapland is 1000+ km from us.

An old photo from 1900-1920, from Northern Sweden or Norway, from Lapland which did not have 'boards', - the reindeer herds did not have them. Of course it is different now.
Manu

Post by Manu »

I'm sorry, I've lost the overlook about the post's of the last few day's :blush: .

@Olga: I hope you and your "friends" are well. "Little" Nanu is such a cute guy, thanks for sharing the pictures when he was a young one :wave: . I hope he is well too...
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

It was really interesting to read about your dogs background, Olga! Thanks for sharing with us!
Can you imagine, last Saturday we had snow and it looked like winter has already come and today, only one week later, it is predicted to become 18°C and it is already 14° now! Absolutely crazy!

Olga

Post by Olga »

I saw a squirrel on the other side of the fence, but it went on hiding as soon as got camera at hands.

Instead of video of the squirrel, I found an old video of Nappu jumping on Nanu!
What a hooligan she was, such a little pup :D Nanu tried to escape the nuisance but what did Nappu!

September 2010, Nappu is at the age of 4 months on the video:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

What a whirlwind ... :mrgreen:

Manu

Post by Manu »

Wow, Nappu (and Nanu) = a lot of energie :laugh: . Great video!!!!
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga, I hope we will hear more from Nanu and Nappu in the "Members Important Animals" topic, I think we all have become very fond of them. Great videos, and story of the Finnish Lapdogs. Thank you for sharing with us :wave:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

OLga,we would be so sad if we had no further news of Nappu and Nanu... they are a very important part of Squirrel Hill.

:gathering: :wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, Squirrel Hill friends :wave: Nappu 'season' is going on.. I will inform the main news in some few days. We will have consultation by more experienced breeders, if needed, but I believe, I hope everything goes fine.
I haven't had female dog earlier, just Girju, Nanu's father and Nanu. Fingers crossed, please.. :D But I was there, took care of Girju & Salla, his fiancee, in the days when Nanu was just a possibility to be born in this world. It was not too complicated...
:D Those were the days..
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga,Fingers crossed here !! :whistling:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
IKat

Post by IKat »

Good news Olga....now if nature will just take its course you can have new puppies to love. Fingers crossed here also....
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&ref=nf

I'm not sure, Olga, if this link works, because I have shared it already on Facebook and am signed in,so I can see it, but if you can see, those two cuties :loveshower: are for you! :wave:

Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Charley!

Today:

I'll do video of Charley tomorrow.

Perhaps I have some video of dogs too, dancing in the rain.. :D

No special news about dogs, not yet. An expertise said there will be about 10 left to wait to know how it goes. They are playing, resting, having fun, most of all Nappu, Nanu is like young dog again, he seems like refreshed, but no-one knows but dogs themselves. I have accept their secret.. I'll be there always, if they need something, some support or anything, to allow them be in peace..etc.

Return to “Seasons”