Winter in Finland 2012/13

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Winter in Finland 2012/13

Post by Felis silvestris »

:shock: Macdoum - those were my first thoughts too! I just hope it's not getting that bad and Olga can keep her little paradise! :bow:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote::shock: Macdoum - those were my first thoughts too! I just hope it's not getting that bad and Olga can keep her little paradise! :bow:
Me too :shock:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Felis silvestris wrote: Macdoum - those were my first thoughts too! I just hope it's not getting that bad and Olga can keep her little paradise! :bow:
That were my thoughts too :shock: .
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Should we start a petition "Save "Squirrel Hill" for the squirrels"? :mrgreen:

But I really hope that it won't get too bad! :unsure:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Olga

Post by Olga »

Nothing worrisome has happened on the hill. Not yet. Anyway I believe they will not move the hill to an other place to put the water pipes, too much work. The hill is of made of bedrock and stones.

Two dogs, no squirrels nor snow :wave:

an exceptional morning today: sunshine

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Beautiful pictures, Olga, the sun is so nice and the dogs look good!

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote:Should we start a petition "Save "Squirrel Hill" for the squirrels"? :mrgreen: :
:thumbs:

Beautiful pictures of Nappu, Nanu and the november sun :loveshower:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Either dogs or squirrels and never both of them together. They are not on friend terms to say the least.
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

Olga thank you for wonderful pictures Nanu and Nappu in the autumn sunshine.
I'm happy that not digging hill in order to put water pipes. :loveshower:
Olga

Post by Olga »

asteria wrote:Either dogs or squirrels and never both of them together. They are not on friend terms to say the least.
You are right, asteria! We have been a lot outdoors with dogs from the beginning of Nappu's heat time and since then!

There is a bit more traffic around the hill, timber men and the measurers drive back and forth, not all the time but anyway. And the sound of chain saw can be heard.. They have put some mark poles along the hill road.

Some new people have moved to a house that became empty last winter, a family with children. They were jumping on the trampoline they have put in their garden!
I :peek: today from the kitchen window, behind the curtain.. :rotf: :blush:

Squirrels are cautious and sensitive.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:cry: So the disturbabce goes on. :slap: Now the children arrive... I love kids but the calm life on Squirrel Hill is coming to and end. Thats sad...then the children will have school so some peace will reign.I am sure they will love the adventure-land there,but the squirrels. :rolleyes:
There is a new chapter in your lfe opening now Olga.
I am sad about all the work & machines etc;etc; What you need is two metres of snow :rotf:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
IKat

Post by IKat »

I finally found this little video about the White Squirrels of Olney, Illinois. This little town had over 800 white squirrels but that was many years ago and their numbers are dwindling. You can search information on the squirrels by just typing "white squirrels of olney"....wonderful, beautiful animals. Ms. Olga, I just know you will love this little video.....and this town is very, very near where I live....must go sometime to see them in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2AWvMHKcIs

Found another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCvXrG6mdng
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Oh, what lovely videos, IKat! Very interesting, I have never seen albino squirrels in live. Thank you! These squirrels are beautiful, so sweet! :D
Olga

Post by Olga »

macdoum wrote::cry: So the disturbabce goes on. :slap: Now the children arrive... I love kids but the calm life on Squirrel Hill is coming to and end. Thats sad...then the children will have school so some peace will reign.I am sure they will love the adventure-land there,but the squirrels. :rolleyes:
There is a new chapter in your lfe opening now Olga.
I am sad about all the work & machines etc;etc; What you need is two metres of snow :rotf:
The disturbances are going on. There is nothing to do but wait, and wait!

How did you know that 2 meters snow is needed :shock: Today came the winter, yes. We have got 40 cm snow! In one day and night :rotf: about 1,5 meters more snow needed!
Olga

Post by Olga »

Some few pictures from yesterday and the day before yesterday.

Some snow flakes begun to fall on Wednesday.

With Nappu walking on the store road. There are tens of those trunk heaps along by the road. The water supply pipes will be there next summer. And they will the hill area too..

In the night more snow begun to fall... And worrisome noise could be heard on the hill top, behind the spruces seen from my window..

And what happened in thursday.. oh dear, I was shocked, but.. yes, better to see the truth: There will be built a new house on the hill, 150 m far from us. Happy people! I hope they notice soon that they have found a little paradise.. :cry:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Yesterday, the day of shock, but..

One of my friends reminded me:

"Let me have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference."

The forest seen from my window, an almost abandoned path towards the hill road goes there.

:D No-one saw me standing there behind the tree branches:

I had listened the noise of this kind of machine the whole day long. When the work men had a pause, I walked closer, and there it was:

this photo is from google:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Yesterday evening, the 29th November it begun to storm, it was a heavy snow storm and it is still going on, at 18:30. Several trees have fallen down on the northern side of the hill, there where the new house will be built.

Thanks heaven: not one single tree all down in out garden! :slap:

Only one pine of half fallen, by side of our parking place :D :

Olga

Post by Olga »

Life is going on here :loveshower: :

The white tailed deer searching apples I had put for them earlier in the fall:

( I have taken some videos of these guests of the first winter day on Squirrel hill:
youtube is editing them a little..)

Female Bullfinches:

A little feeder guest:

The kitchen window in the afternoon:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Oh what news from Squirrel Hill! :shock: New neighbours! Hope they are nice to all the guests at the feeders! Is it a mouse? Dormice must be already sleeping? :puzzled: Cute! You would be happy on Facebook, we share squirrels almost every day to get us over the time until we meet Charley and the others again! :laugh:

And Simon's cat also paid a visit to Squirrel Hill!

Edit: try this - you may have to click the Log-in page to Facebook away once or twice, but it should work even if you're not registered! Lots of the nice pictures we share come from this page:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: edit: Felis! Î

Hah, what fun, :laugh: I love Simon's cat. Thank you! I am there in facebook, but I have forgotten my password, again! I haven't had time for it, and I am bit clumsy to use it. I have never learnt how I should put the settings.. :nod :

Later on today:

Squirrel hill news:

I have put carrots for deer! I could buy them, 30 kg, from our small country store, just 10 euros! That was a surprise for me. The carrots are very fine - . They were meant for horses, said the store owner. :rotf: I said that I haven't got horses, so.. I'll give them to deer.

The carrot tray is just behind the dog fence. Then I walked to watch closer the sorrowful area. No-one was there today. There is now a 20 x 20 m plain rock area, there will the new house be built. It will be not closer than the other neighbor houses!

There is also a new bigger feeder for birds under the second apple tree.

No squirrels seen...for two weeks or so.. :unsure: They have known before hand that there will be changes here, and moved elsewhere. It is quite sad, but I believe it will be just temporary.
We will see...

background music by Jean Sibelius, Kuusi - the Spruce

edit: I changed the musick on the background. I don't know why, but I could not hear the first composition..it was chosen by youtube. Now there can beard also the original sound of the wind on the tops of the spruces on Squirrel hill :nod: The storm of the previous night was calming down.

It's our house which is seen when I walked back. Oh, the storm is there. Lets' see If I can find some music to make the noise more quiet.

Return to “Seasons”