Stories (not only) from the wildlife

alice44

Re: Stories from the wildlife

Post by alice44 »

Usually I want to know more and more, but really that is enough for this story. How can people be so horrid to animals? I suspect those people do not do so much better than their bears, but still I do not understand. It makes me so sad.
Brit

Post by Brit »

alice44 wrote:How can people be so horrid to animals?
This is what I also ask myself all the time! But unfortunately you can see and hear that everywhere. The good thing about this dancing bear is, that they caught one of this dealers and hopefully put him for the rest of his life behind barns!
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
Brit

Post by Brit »

It is Knut's 3rd Birthday today. Many guests arrived already in Berlin, not only from all around Germany, but also from Sweden, Finland, France, England, Switzerland.

Knut yesterday, waiting for his guests ... :nod:

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

The hunters and the pact for life
A faitful meeting in the eternal ice

The snowbank looked somehow queer to Nanook, the old Eskimo and experienced hunter. But he was so deep involved in talking to his grandson Anquiko, a ten year old boy with lightning-quick eyes. Anquiko is an engaged amateur photographer and is allowed to accompany his grandfather on this 31rd of December for the first time going for hunting.

Today of all days this inattention happend to Nanook the experienced hunter. The snowheap suddenly exploded: they had woken up a sleeping polar bear. Within split seconds there is a outburst of chaos. The dog sleigh topples over, snow is blown up and takes the sight. With one hand Nanook grips by instinctly for his gun. With the other he gropes for Anquiko. But there is nobody. „Anquiko!“ the granfather is calling. And than he sees the boy. Cowering on the ground, looking in disbelief and only one paw swipe away from the polar bear. And the polar bear just was ready for a deadly strike. In this very moment it seemed time stopped. Thousand thoughts flashed through Nanooks mind: how nice the sunlight is sparkling on the snow, how much he loves his grandson, a shot would be too dangerous and what his grandmother told him many decades ago about the secrets of the Arctic. And than Nanook starts to talk. He speaks low and precise in the old Eskimo language of his anchestors. He offered a bargain to the bear. And the bear seems to listen. Both hunters – bear and man – looked straight in each others eyes. And than, finally very slowly the bear is lowering his paw, turns around and trots gently to the horizon.

Grandfather and grandson gaze after him silently – until his silhouette is gone. And Anquiko is making the picture of his live. Than he asks his grandfather what he has said to the bear. “I promised him my hunting ground when he is leaving you alone – I never will go for hunting again.” And quietly, hard to hear, he adds:” May this hunting grounds give always enough food for him and his.”

Later Anquiko presents a copy of the polar bear picture to his grandfather. From time to time hunter are coming for a visit and ask Nanook for his biggest trophy. Than he proudly presents them the picture of the polar bear he never brought down.

from David Turner

English translation by Brit
Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Where little souls might heal
Endless love against fear

Sometimes Stefan is overcome by fatigue. Than he cannot keep his eyes open. Than he finally can cling to his guardian at the station Chumfunshi. Because it´s only than, that the little chimpanzee looses his terrible fear from humans. Than he is dreaming, that he is snuggling on his mother, who is protecting him from all misery. But Stefans mother is dead, cold blooded shot by poachers, who wanted her baby.

In Sambia everybody knows, that little monkeys are bringing lots of money, when sold on the other side of the border, where they are made addictive with alcohol and medicaments, that sweating tourist can take them on their arms to have a picture taken. When the little ones get older and resist, humans fight back brutally. Than they were striked bloody and locked in cages where they have to suffer unspeakable torments. But they are comfortably off compared with the helpless chimpanzees babies who are smuggled for animal testings to eastern Europe, where they will be infected with horrible pathogens. Chimpanzees have to 96% human gene – that we let them atone cruelly. But the couple Sheila and David Siddle, owners of the Chumfunshi-farm in Sambia, fight for the orphans. They spend all their money to buy everywhere around the world these babies to give them the chance to find their inware peace again. Stefan is the smallest of all. He was called after Stefan Louis, a motorcycle dealer from Hamburg, who installed a foundation to help these baby monkeys by all means.

The tiny little Stefan Louis rescued in Moskow. The spoilt scion of a new wealthy family lost the pleasure of his exotic playmate, locked him up in his cage – forgotten. Louis bought him, took a plane to Sambia, to make it possible for Stefan for his future life to learn that people also can give love.

by Michael Jud

Have a nice day!
Brit
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Here is a story that kind of fits in
A Bear, a Lion and a Tiger grow up together as best friends

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... dship.html
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Brit, the stories you post are very compelling. Could you also give us a link to the original articles? I would like to tell a friend about Stefan, but he will want to see the original story.

Thank you!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

bociany wrote:Brit, the stories you post are very compelling. Could you also give us a link to the original articles? I would like to tell a friend about Stefan, but he will want to see the original story.

Thank you!
Your question made me curious and I found an article about another couple that rescued chimps --it is so horrible that people keep working to stop this abuse and yet it continues. "The Cronins have rescued apes forced to smoke cigars in a Turkish sitcom, or to kick-box to the death in Thailand, as well as those kept as pets." WHY make an ape smoke or force them to fight? People are so annoying sometimes.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 550680.ece

This article is an obituary for the human -- not really about the animals.
Brit

Post by Brit »

@bociany, I get the articles from Ursula who is posting them in Hartmuth's forum, for translation. And she got the permission thanks to

tv Hören und Sehen

and this last story about Stefan was from
Year 1999 Nr. 20

@Alice: thank you for the stories! The cruelty of peoples against animals seems to be endless. And if they can get money out of it ... makes me just sick.

Many years ago Greenpeace published this one, which I unfortunately cannot find in English language (it must be originated in English language ... )

Erst wenn der letzte Baum gerodet, only when the last tree is felled

der letzte Fluß vergiftet, the last river is poisoned

der letzte Fisch gefangen ist, the last fish is catched

werdet ihr feststellen, you will notice

daß man Geld nicht essen kann. that you can't eat your money

(Weisheit der Cree-Indianer - Cree indians wisdom )
Have a nice day!
Brit
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

thank you, Brit :wave:

Another aspect of animal abuse that I find especially disturbing is that there have been a few people (hopefully the vast minority) who have set up a "sanctuary" but are really collectors and abuse animals that they are supposed to be helping. And if you Google some of these places, it is not clear from the material online that they are not doing the job they are supposed to be doing.
Brit

Post by Brit »

bociany wrote:thank you, Brit :wave:

Another aspect of animal abuse that I find especially disturbing is that there have been a few people (hopefully the vast minority) who have set up a "sanctuary" but are really collectors and abuse animals that they are supposed to be helping. And if you Google some of these places, it is not clear from the material online that they are not doing the job they are supposed to be doing.
Yes I know, bociany. And it makes so sad! But I think it is so important to tell peoples as much as possible about all this and these stories are just written to touch and maybe open the hearts ...!? Let me post another one
Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Who gives love
A little tomcat and the power of heart

Beautiful was not a beautiful tomcat. His legs were too short and his movements rather clumsy,- maybe that was the reason why he never found a home. What so ever, Beautiful was yet something special: every evening he trotted to a restaurant in a NY suburb. There he was sitting for hours at the door receiving the guest, proud and dignified like the statue of a sphinx. He was the happiest tomcat around the world in these moments, because at that time it seemed that all people would look directly in his heart – they didn´t turn away, but bent down to pet him and they came again just to see Beautiful.

One day the owners sold their restaurant. In this very moment the tomcat had lost his mission. No more guests whom he could have received. Nobody who knew how special he was and how happy his heart was. Peoples turned away from him again, because he really was not beautiful. He was pushed frightened away und one day he started in anguish to tear out his fur. He was sitting on the corner of the old restaurant and he was the loneliest tomcat in the world.

“As I saw him sitting there for the first time”, Sue Morris says, “he was not needed any more and in his eyes, these endless sad eyes, I recognized myself”. The old lady made it a habit to visit Beautiful every day at his street corner. And so, very slowly, hope came up in him – hope for a new mission. More than 3 months later Beautiful ventured this step: He is following his new friend and since that day he is picking her up, every morning to go for a walk. Just for one hour, because in the meantime the tomcat has much to do: Around lunch he is visiting an old people´s home and towards evening three elder widowers. Peoples who thought since long, that there is nobody anymore who needed their love. And those who looked, just for a short moment, to see a tomcat who is indeed not a beauty. Whom nobody wanted to give a home – but in whose power it is to soften loneliness

by Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

If anybody is interested to see Knut and Gianna in action, here are Videos made by Monika from the two bears November 7 2009:

http://de.tinypic.com/player.php?v=akvkzo&s=6

http://de.tinypic.com/player.php?v=20ic78&s=6

http://de.tinypic.com/player.php?v=30ku4qc&s=6

http://de.tinypic.com/player.php?v=35bfguv&s=6
Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Friendship speaks all languages
A real friends saved the little bears life

“Chances of survival: 10 percent”. So it´s written on the patients report in front of the cage and every time, when Jahlee passes the bars she know, that this is true. The little bear, who is lying there apathetically, got no chance. “He will die of broken heart”. The doctor had said. “because lonliness they cannot stand.“ Since 8 days all the medicine didn´t show any effect, even food or water the little bear refused ……

Jahlee took a scrutinizing look at the shivering bunch of fur. “Maybe if I only could pat him” she is thinking. „If I only could show him, that he is not alone.” But she is not doing that, of course not – the trainee knows very well, that any contact makes a return to the wildlife impossible, because the bear couldn`t get used to a life in the wilderness anymore. She also knows, that everybody who breaks this rules will be dismissed summarily. She knows it – but yet, as she is making her last round in the evening, she is opening the door of the cage. She is carrying a dog puppy in her arms, her own dog puppy, and as she puts him down a crazy idea came to her: a comrade, a friend who just is there. This could work – and so, very quietly the girl is closing the door and watches how the puppy jumps to the bear nudges him and than with a comforting sighs snuggles on his side. This procedure is repeated every evening: Jahlees dog is staying over night with the bear and in the morning, before the doctors arrive she is taking him out. Slowly the bear starts to eat, even the medication works and two months later the time has come: the bear is returned to the wildlife. Everybody is happy – everybody except a black dog, who was loosing his best friend on this very day. Every evening he is standing crying in front of the cage, his sorrow seems to be endless – and so, as the dog is gone one morning, Jahlee isn´t very much surprised. She knows every search will fail. Two weeks later when she reads an article in the paper a smile flashed over her face. A bear was sighted, is written there, somewhere in the mountains. And on his side was a comrade with complete different habit, with ears as long that he nearly looked like a dog. Just as a little black dog, who slogged through the wilderness all by himself looking for his friend.

by Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

The miracle from Manhattan
The last survivals from Ground Zero

John Giotti is standing for the first time in front of the mountains of rubble and concrete, wherre and which before was the World Trade Centre. It is also the heap of rubble of his life. Somewhere down there was his restaurant. Giotti picks around in grid square 47. He is looking for something. What for? That he does not really know himself. Maybe he might find something from his restaurant which is not destroyed – a picture, a football cup. Something which he can take home, in order to realize, that this all really happened. Suddenly there is a sound. A crying, so weak that Giotti first thinks it was only in his head – a delusion. But this almost unnoticeable whimpering is persistent. There John understands: somewhere down there is still life. Excited he is running to a policeman with walky talky. Jim Sheridan has seen in these days so much hope dying, that he is following the restaurants owner just unbelievingly. Survivals on the 26th of September? 15 days after the disaster? Who should have survived for 360 hours without water, without food, without protection under these remains heavy as a ton? Impossibly. But than he also hears the soft wailing sound. „I think down there is something, which is still living“ he talks into his phone. Minutes later the action force are there. Feverishly, but carefully they remove the trash. Somewhere down there must have been formed a cave, an accidental shelter for survival. The men must take care, that it does not collapse. After 3 hours it is done. Cautiously Officer Sheridan opens a dusty battered carton. A cat reduced to a skeleton is jumping into his arms. But the actual miracle Jim only can see now. This napkin-carton is shelter for even more life: three little kittens blink at Jim, for the first time they see daylight and that there is another world beyond their carton. Everybody understands, that this cat-lady gave birth to her babies within this disaster. How she managed, that they were able to survive without water, without food, without light – this will be a miracle for ever.

These cats are the last survivals of Ground Zero. And more: they are a proof for you never should give up! New power flows through the fagged rescuers. As the question came up what name to give to the foundlings, the names came directly out of their heart: Glow (Glut), Freedom (Freiheit), Flag (Flagge). And as they were thinking how to name the mother, one said: “For her there can only be one name: Hope”. Because hope may never die.

by Jutta Junge

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Please click at the left side "Fotos" and "Videos" - worth to look at!!!

KNUT AND GIANNA
Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Studio Franken December 10 2009

Flockes 2nd birthday
Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Always together
About a peculiar friendschip

Polar bears don´t like polar foxes. They feel they are annoying and even much to skinny to be good for a decent meal. At the same time the polar foxes don´t have too much sympathy for the polar bears – simply one paw swipe of them is enough to kill four foxes. And still there is from time immemorial an agreement – a temporary peace contract which always becomes effective when the polar bears start their migration to the coast. In the shadow of every bear a fox is walking, as profiteer taking his profit from the meals of the migrating companion……

Most scientists believe: The partners meet by chance. But Clare Godeman is sure: “it is a friendship which connects bear and fox – a friendship which is renewed every year”. This opinion made the arctic explorer to an outsider – although she can give lots of indices which prove her theory: “For 80 % every year the same pairs are configured” she says. “I witnessed bears, which were waiting for weeks, because their fox was injured and had to recover. Others who lied down protective in front of their foxe during storm, polar bears, mind you, who at any other time of the year felt the polar foxes unnerving”. The final prove for her thesis Godeman most likely never can bring – but now she made an observation which even puzzles hard critics: ”Little Half is walking since 8 years together with Figllä, an aged female polar bear “ the scientist tells. “Both are a team, the bear even adapt her steps to the one of the fox”. Only: this year Figllä didn´t show up. “Half was waiting for one week, Godeman says, “than he went to look for her”.

What he found was a tired female polar bear who didn´t have the will to take her last journey. “For two month the fox took care of Figllä – digged snow caves for her, brought her prey, animated and allured her and finally with unexpected will power Fiugllä got on her feet again. Claire smiles. „Both arrived at the coast yesterday“ she says „haggard and emaciated but together”. She was thinking “Half could have gone with any other polar bear. But he decided for Figllä and saved her life. And this for sure wasn´t an unexpected coincidence…..

von Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit
alice44

Post by alice44 »

;-)
Brit

Post by Brit »

The wisdom of the super nanny
How “Mrs. Barett” teaches the little lions manners

Scared the young lion mother is looking around the place: she sees the ruffled sleeping places of her comrades; a jamble of jewed branches, tornout fur flakes – a pride of unnerved feline predators who squatted in the shadow of a rock waiting for the next attack. An attack, mind you, not that from an opposing pride – but from two lion cubs – named “Attila” and “Caligula”……

Since 4 month these two teenagers harass their living area – and until now neither threats nore punishments had any effect. As said: until now. Because today the mother has some backup on her side – an elder female lion, who joined her while hunting. “I didn´t know this animal yet”, says Lesli Lot “but one figures for sure: she did not approve lax educational methods.“ Amazed the scientist observed how the lioness dragges “Attila” and “Calidua” in the middle of the place – and pushed the biggest branch which was lying there to them. “It was like a challenge” Leslie says “if you want to live your combativeness, than do it right”. And the youngsters understand. First shy and than more and more fierce they attack the branch until only little shreds are left. In the days to follow this scenery was repeated in different variations. The old lioness, who Lesli in the meantime named after her math teacher “Mrs. Barett” drilled both brothers in piece work: they had to bring stones, had to climb trees, make races. If they wanted or not. And yes, already on the evening of their second trainings day “Attila” and “Caligula” are so exhausted, that they sleep for 10 hours and on the next day they are far away from attacking any member of the pride anymore.

Since then their behaviour is so exemplary, that “Mrs. Barett” stopped the training. Actually this should be the end of the story,- wouldn´t there be “Mrs. Baretts” sudden departure from the pride. “One morning she abruptly lifted her head and walked away with pricked up ears” says Leslie. She went northward in the direction to Botswana. By accident? „I only know one thing“ the ranger said „shortly behind the border is a pride of lions. With three cubs who since weeks refuse to eat orderly. The next case for Supernanny of the Savanna, for sure …

by Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit

Return to “Stories and News”