Stories (not only) from the wildlife

alice44

Re: Stories from the wildlife

Post by alice44 »

Here is a story that almost fits into the thread

http://www.slightlywarped.com/carp ... ratsea.htm
Brit

Post by Brit »

What a story, alice44! And that question is the only important on ... fleeing from hunters? Or from what?
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
Brit

Post by Brit »

The king of life
A guardian angel for bears

“The king arrived”, whispers Juluut, while the sun is spreading her golden shine over the lake. Full of reverence he is watching the brown giant, who a few meters further is waiting for salmons. Already since hours. But the water stays calm. No bubble announces the haul. Just silence. „A bad day“ Juluut says. As so often lately. „Korolja“, „King“ he has named the animal. His tribe, the Ewenen, never call it´s name – that is prohibited by their beleave. Because they revere the Kamchatka bears like gods. “Because they do not let anybody control them. Because they live their lifes. And because they were long, long before us at home, in this endless Tundras.”

Kamchatka is the Alaska of Siberia nine time zones away from Moskow. An unique nature paradise, with bubbling volcanos, raging streams, impenetrable woods. Until October the biggest haul of salmon in the world is taking place: eleven different kinds of salmons, many millions of fish come for spawning. A paradise for bears – beside of the Kodiak they are the biggest brown bears on our globe! They need the fat salmon as “love handles” otherwise they cannot survive the merciless winter. “King” is more than three meters tall and has a weight of about 800 kg. 50 kg of salmon he needs per day. Never he would even eat one more fish. Self indulgent are his biggest enemies: humans. There is a war going on in the woods, a silent war. Pachers against bears. They lay deadly snares to get the Millions Salmons for themselves. Red roe is bringing lots of money! The fish about 80 tons of salmon for only 3 kg of roe – and they get for that € 35 000. Per day! Moskow allows the fishing of 90 kg fish – per year. „Who can controll that?“ Juluut asks. Kamchatka is big and impenetrable. From the before 20 000 giant bears just 12 500 are still living. „Those are the last of their kind“, Juluut says silently. Our old nature religion is in danger. Every Ewenen boy first learns from his father that the bears is a symbol for strength, hope, proud and respect for the nature.” The worry for his bears nearly made Juluut sick. Until the matter of role reversal came to his mind. Now he is going together with his tribal brothers through the woods looking specifically at rivers and lakes for deadly nets and traps. Again and again, day for day. “Before the bears saved our souls. Now we save theirs.”

by Sylvia Nause-Meier

English translation by Brit
Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

What is the bear doing in the pool?
In California the black bears conquer the cities - with all the arising luxury

Sally is satisfied. Exceeding satisfied. The water has exactly the right temperature, the annoying bathing-guests are gone and her most beloved squeeking duck is adrifting in the farest corner of the pool. Everything is as Sally likes it. Lucky enough. Because Sally is a fully grown female black bear - and she isn´t able to see a joke when her morning swim routine is disturbed. "Last week I forgot to clean the pool" says Claire Handler, the owner of the estate in Monrovia, a little village northeast of Los Angeles. "Sally got a tantrum as she recognized that still branches and leaves are in the water. She practically teared apart our poolhouse."

Everything Claire Handler has tried to prevent the visits of the bearess. In vain: neither high fences nor deterrent sprays or automatical warning system is keeping the bearess away. And Claire is by far not the only resident of Monrovial with such a problem. More and more of the animals are coming to the towns and in Monrovia it is an absolute record: in the little village in the meantime more bears are living than in the surrounding woods. "The bears come, because they can find here easier and quicker food", major Rob Hammond declares. They break in garages, empty garbage bins, walk through opened kitchen doors and empty whole food lockers." Also otherwise the animals adjusted themselves well in the suburb: they delight in occupying sandboxes on public playgrounds, enjoy themselves with balls on the public tennis ground - and, well, yes, in the meantime they are affected for cultivated swimming excursions. "If I wouldn´t know it better" says Hammond, "I´ld be sure the bears are making arrangements." Fact is: since Sally discovered the pool of Claire Handler for herself, in the neighbourhood with increased regularity uninvited hairy bathing guests are reported.

A solution to the problem? Not to be seen. "It is like that" says Rob Hammong, " the bears were there first - we took away their habitat from them. We - with our roads and houses and pools. Now they come back - and it is our task to live with them. And like that, nobody comes to grief, because humans destroyed enough." He stops. "On the other hand" he continues "it is much nicer to watch a bear happily playing around in the pool than to swim yourself ..."

by Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

The law of survival
An unusual chance for a little bear

Jeering the men stand above the dying femal bear, the weapon still at the ready. Their laughter pervade the Siberian woods and even drown the whining of the bear baby. Eight, maybe nine weeks of age and it does not understand what happens – no lesson of life taught that. As the men leave, they even do not deign a look at the little bundle – they leave it for death. Just like that.

If fate would be merciful it would have silenced the little bears heart and his eyes closed, but nothing like this happens. Eight hours later the bear baby is still living and as the ranger finds it, it´s screaming out with its last power. Rescue? Hope at all? No – this doesn´t excist: since decades the reintroduction of animals into the wild fails, because the animals get attached with each and every word to man – and so with each hour they are taken care the chance of freedom sinks. All the man knows, who was finding the bear baby on this very day. His name is Walentin Tschernow and he is worldwide the only one who is daring to do the impossible: in an outdoor enclosure near Moskow he is feeding the orphan and he says: they survive – if they are not pampered. They are not even supposed to know, that I am the one who is feeding.”

When the man is approaching his bears he is wearing a hoodie jacket, which is covering his face. He is turning away when the animals greet him, is snarling at them when they happily jump at him. Also Mischka, the foundling from Siberia, Tschernow is bringing here. Within two weeks he will recover” he says. “Then we can start with lessons.” Gently the man will make excursions to the wood with his bears. He will watch over them, protect them and teach them everything. He will command himself not to take them in his arms or give them words of comfort. He will love them – and with love never show them his love. Walentin Tschernow gives an affectionate look at Mischka, he also will learn to be carefull. He will battle his way and if everything goes well, his heart won´t keep any memory and never feel gratefulness – he will forget everything, what happened and only will follow one rule: fear humans. Fear humans and you will survive. “I know I did the right thing”,Tschernow says, “when they go and don´t turn once to look at me ...!”

by Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

The power of friendship
How a bearess won thousands of hearts ...

Bears are not pleasant neighbors. They ransack the garbage, plunder birdshouses and can shock dogs to death. The residents of Minnesota are therefore very well trained in the use of water balloons, slingshots and they prevent anything, what could entice a bear. Not so Jack Becklund. As a declared friend of animals his porch is always stocked with boxes filled with sunflower seeds to make sure chipmunks and birds are feeling well. And in fact he is spending in all cluelessness a few peaceful months.

Until the very day as a small bearess is walking up his driveway and ensconces herself quite natural on his porch. “She was sitting on her seat and emptied all boxes” Jack said. “I immediately fell in love.” He named her “Little Bit” because the bearess now came daily. From the rangers Jack he learned, that Little Bit was abandoned by her mother, too early too unprepared, too loveless. “I wanted to show her, that there is somebody who locked her into his heart”, he said and very cautious an extraordinary friendship developed – the bearess became a confiding comrade who finally brought other bears along and in the night, when Jack had a night out, she slept on the porch – paws pressed at the door, to feel by the tremor when he came home. For six years Little Bit came with different Comrades back after the winter sleep. The man was smiling and told about the days in which they dozed cuddling together in the sun. From woods they explored from berries they were looking for. Those are his last memories of Little Bit: In the seventh summer of their friendship the bearesss didn´t show up again. Finally the local newspaper posts a want ad – but what starts as looking-for action touches and activates thousands of readers and causes vehement protest actions against the bear hunting in Minnesota. For the first time peoples learn, that bear can not only be enemy, but also friend. With enormous pressure the government limits the hunt to a minimum. So it is until today. “I don´t know what happened to Little Bit, Jack said, “but I know one thing for sure: many bears in these woods owe their life to Little Bit. She had the courage to show to the world how big the power of friendship can be ...”

by Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo, for the life of me I cannot find where you put the video of the stork who got a new leg and the german woman who was helping.

here is another picture of the stork http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 77,00.html

While reading online Spiegel I found another nice little story
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 78,00.html

A fox apparently stole more than 100 shoes over the course of a year -- and took them to her den. What makes the story sweet is that while they recovered the easily found shoes, they left her den and cubs alone -- and told people not to leave their shoes out at night if they do not want them stolen.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Umm - maybe I put it on a stork topic?
Who knows? I will look around :laugh:

Only10 minutes later - -
viewtopic.php?p=53692#p53692
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Stork topic was perfectly logical :slap:

I added a fox story to my earlier post as it was still open
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:Stork topic was perfectly logical :slap:

I added a fox story to my earlier post as it was still open
Hi Alice thx for the great story. :nod: :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Brit

Post by Brit »

Yes, those are so nice stories, thank you alice44! The stork with one leg reminds me of stork FRITZ from Papendorf. And in Austria there was stork FLORI at the Storchenstation in Tillmitsch.

By the way, in Tillmitsch they rescued a swan with only one leg (they don't know why that happened), who got an artificial leg recentlyswan MIMI. Lets hope that this will work ...
Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Like a love affair
The animal protector Jill Robinson is rescuing moon bears in China – here she writes about her deep feelings for these animals

On most days I am working for twelve to thirteen hours. I don´t care, I have lots of energy. But the needs of the bears never end. We have 167 bears in ten enclosures. More than 150 peoples are working here and sometimes I am scared by the imagination that we all have to care bear life long for these animals – 30 years and more. But when at 9 o´clock in the morning the doors of the night enclosures are opened and the bears rush out into their open enclosure, all fears are gone. They are like children who discover a playground, attentively and excited about this further day in freedom. They all were rescued from farms - bear's gall is used for 3000 years in the traditional Chinese medicine, among others as a flue medicine. To obtain the gall, the animals are locked in caves which are hardly bigger than the bears and via an implanted catheter several times a day “milked”. An unnecessary and barbarously practise – bear´s gall since year can be produced in the laboratory.

Up to 10 000 bears carve out their miserable existence on such farms. Some make it up to us, but the marks of their sufferings never fade away: all the time they get infections, liver cancer is frequent. At each diagnosis I have to cry. My relations to these bears is like a love affair and I do not understand how such intelligent beings can ever forgive and excuse all the torture peoples do and did to them. When the animals arrive here, they are only empty wrappers – pathetic shadows of themselves.

Jasper is my favourite. He is here the Justice of peace – rowing he is reconciling without raising the voice. Nearly 15 years Jasper spent in a cage, which was so low that he even could not stand up by himself as he finally was rescued. His owner did not bother to grudge him only a few centimetres of elbowroom. For my feeling peoples like that should be sentenced to lifelong imprisonment. But not all are like that: some farmers even visit us. One even broke in tears as he saw the animals and sweared that he from now on would fight against the gall farms. Many people feel it inadequate to talk about love for animals as so many humans have to suffer in this world. But I believe you have to follow your heart. As I opened this rescue station 8 years ago the Chinese thought us westerners crazy. To spend money for bears – was unthinkable in their understanding. In the meantime they understand. They start to fight. Things change!

by Jill Robinson

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Posted from Ixamari in Hartmuths Forum.

A report from BBC:

San Francisco's smelly sea lions end their 20-year stay

Gone fishing? One theory is the sea lions have gone to find food elsewhere
The famous sea lions of San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf have disappeared after 20 years - leaving experts baffled as to why.

Last month, Pier 39 groaned under the weight of some 1,500 of the animals.

But now all but a few have swum off bringing to an end a two-decade long sojourn - and one of the world's smelliest tourist attractions.

The first bull sea lions arrived in late 1989, but the animals began to depart in November.

Officials hope the departure is only temporary - as a 20th anniversary party had been planned for 15 January.

Favourite food

The director of public relations for Pier 39, Sue Muzzin, told The Times newspaper: "With animals, you never know. If they are not back on January 15, we'll party with the ones who are here."

It may be a small party, as only 20 or so animals are left.

Marine experts suspect that the animals originally came to Fisherman's Wharf chasing their favourite food - sardines and anchovies.

And they suspect that is why they have gone.

"Most likely, they left chasing a food source," said Jeff Boehm, the executive director of the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito.

Pier 39 just a year ago when the sea lions congregated in large numbers
"It's probably what kept them here in the first place," he added.

Pier 39 also provided a friendly home because it is out of the reach of their natural predators - great white sharks and orcas.

Although the hunt for food seems the likeliest reason for their disappearance, experts admit it is a mystery.

One more outlandish theory is that their departure is the sign of an imminent earthquake.

The animals arrived soon after the Loma Prieta quake of October 1989.
Have a nice day!
Brit
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Funny that they left just before the 20 year anniversary.
Brit

Post by Brit »

Theodore, the thievish bear
What a Grizzly is able to do when he feels lonely ...

There are certain things, what a bear must be able to manage. Climbing is one thing, catching fish and of course the exact keeping of hibernation times. Any deviation of this habits is unacceptable and in Canada this applies particularly for those bears, which are returned to t the wild by humans. These candidates are after their release under close surveillance – who didn´t learn the lections of survival, will be collected again and reclassified in the camp for another round. Eventually the bears who behave wrong can cause a lot of trouble. And this brings us to Theodore, the grizzly bear ...

“He was my best pupil” says animal protector Ben Hughes. Three days after his release however came the first debacles report: ”Theodore chased a visitor of the park out of his tent ate all the storages and took along the sleeping bag.” A lapse? Well:”As I checked his habitat two weeks later”, Hughes said “Theodore had done other wrongdoings.” In front of his cave there were stored heaps of sweets wrappings, in the cave itself eight blankets, diverse articles of clothings and a bike. “Theodore pinched stuff from campers” said Hughes. “In fact in great style.” On the same evening he had the grizzly been brought to the camp. He starts to teach him again, also this time with sensational results, which lead to another return to the wild – and shortly after ended with lots of pinched campers. After four other tries, Hughes gives up:”Theodore is lonely” he says. Since than the search for a suitable female is going on – preferred are candidates without interest in human belongings. The last date was promising. The bearness name is “Sue” says Hughes, “ and first thing she did was clearing all the stolen things out of Theodores cave.” Since than no new things were collected. But one week ago came a very curious notice to the cam:”two children are missing their plush toys and a mother her baby basket.” If the perpetrator was Theodore wasn´t found out yet. But one thing is for sure: Sue became noticeable voluminous ...

by Dorothee Teves

For comparism: Knuts pose (photo made by Jessie):

Have a nice day!
Brit
Knallfroesch

Post by Knallfroesch »

This image tell the story ... without comment ...
Brit

Post by Brit »

The language of the heart
The only Grizzly bear orphanage in the world

What to do when a 400 kg Grizzly bear, who is standing face to face to you threatening straight? Run away? No chance. Shoot? Charlie Russel didn´t have a gun. He didn´t come to the Siberian peninsula of Kamtschatka to hunt bears. He wants to research. And now that: eye in eye with an animal which is believed to be a feared killer. Charlie is feeling the breath of the bear and than he is doing something which should change his life. He starts talking very softly about himself and his life. He got on his knees and is begging the bear. And the bear sits down and so they sit face to face, not hunter and hunted, but only two creatures.

Since than Charlie and his life companion Maureen are only called there the crazy Canadians. They are living in a hut, 90 km away from the next village, in a wilderness where plenty of bears are living. And also poachers are active. They also killed the mother of the three grizzlys Chico, Biscuit and Rosie. Death is threatening them - or worse. A life brutally imprisoned. But Charly and Maureen succeed in doing something unthinkable. They persuade the Russian authorities and adopt the bear orphans.

Now Charlie and Maureen are parents. Every day the family makes long rambles through the wilderness. Maureen is climbing on trees with them, Charlie is fishing. And the grizzlies watch and learn how to fish. The hunters in Kamtschatka execrate about the crazy Canadians. For them bears are just hunting trophys nothing else. One day a grizzly bearess with her youngster is carefully approaching the bear family. Charlie and Maureens heart is beating up to the neck. Will she attack? But than something miraculous happens: the bearess is guiding her cubs to the group, disappears and the cubs stay. The bear-kindergarden was increased. Years are passing, the bears grow. But as Maureen and Charlie came back from a trip to Canada their adopted children are gone. Poachers had been in the area. No sign of Chico, Rosie and Biscuit. "Until today we don´t know what happened to them" Charlie says. Sorrow mutes his voice. Charlie decided to tell the story of Chico, Rosie and Biscuit to the whole world. The story of a big injustice and a much bigger love …

by Jutta Junge

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Get up, you shall live!
Motherlove is stronger than instinct

When Ely was born in Amboseli Nationalpark in Kenia at eleven o`clock in the night, he didn´t have a chance to survive. Both his front legs are stiff, bent to the back. Ely cannot raise, cannot walk one step – his death warrant.

His mother Echo is the leader of the herd. Her instinct tells her to continue migration with the group to find food. But Echo does not go. She is looking down on her baby who is lying with bended legs in the grass. Than the mother loops her trunk around his body and is lifting him with the help of her tusks carefully on his legs. Seconds later he is breaking together. Again the trunk, again the break down. For hours. Than the restless group takes off, turning around again and again. Echo hesitates, makes also a few steps – and stays with her child. And another cow elephant stays – Enid, Elys big sister. Days and nights of agony follow without sleep in which the little one again and again tries to come on his feet. When the exhaustion ist getting to much and Ely even bends his hind legs Enid helps the little one affectionately to Echos milktits that he can brace himself. Often Echo is lifting her head in direction where she knows the herd could be, gives a call and listens for the answer. On the morning of the fifth day Ely schlepped himself to a water hole – in painful steps. As he is lying half in the water and is feeling the comfortable warmths, the herd is coming back. After the greeting all eyes seem to rest expectantly on Ely, and he suddenly takes all his power. Gets up, staggers ….bravely he straightens his legs --- and stands up! For another two days most of the herd is continuously with Ely, until all continue migration – slowly in the front, Echo. And somewhere under the protection of the giant grey bodies four little legs scurry: Ely on the way into the life which love donated him newly

Michael Jud

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

And in between always a little dose of KNUT and GIANNA:

VIDEO from Jessie
Have a nice day!
Brit
AllyKass

Post by AllyKass »

Brit wrote:And in between always a little dose of KNUT and GIANNA:

VIDEO from Jessie
this is cute, thanks! :laugh:
Mother Nature teaching to us about balance of power.

Return to “Stories and News”