Stories (not only) from the wildlife

Brit

Re: Stories (not only) from the wildlife

Post by Brit »

The gratefulness of love
The heart of a lion never forgets

The lions followed behind the migrating herds. Chad Myers is also following their tracks and caught them up with the first daylight – more than 200 km away from his camp. He wants to be sure, that also Fejuha is together with them. One year before the Englishman released her to freedom – he was his foster daddy and taught her the laws of survival in hours-long marches through the African Savannah: Transmigrate. Look for a pride of lions. And mainly: be afraid of humans and forget, that it was me who brought you up. But Fejuha does not forget, despite the 200 kilometres which are lying between them and as Chad Myers on this day is packing his binoculars to drive home, she already had started out, following an inner call, to settle an old score.

From all this the young man didn´t have any presage. His thoughts are circling around many things, and as he makes in the light of sunset his last round in his camp area, he even doesn´t see the leopard who is attacking him. He only feels the knife-sharp claws, which cut into his back. The hot breath of the hunter in his neck. Than, out of a sudden, the cat desists from him: ”She squatted in aggressive position”, says Myers, “to begin it´s final jump – and as she jumped a golden shadow shot over my head. I recognized Fejuha even before she trapped the leopard. She killed him in front of my eyes. Within seconds.“

After that the lioness collapsed. Her paws are chafed, her body exhausted. Within a few hours she covered a distance for which she normally would have needed 3 days, and as she left her pride of lions she did it in the knowledge, that she never would catch up with them. Despite that Fejuha left and this alone is like a miracle. In this moment it doesn´t make any difference. Nothing counts but the fact: she was there. She hadn´t left him. And she had not forgotten: my life for yours. Your life for mine. An age old bill, written in gratefulness – for this love.

by Dorothee Teves

English translation by Brit
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

macdoum wrote:Love at first bite
The story of the making of the documentary for the BBC
The incredible story of how BBC cameraman filmed world's deadliest bears - and ended up introducing them to his children

By Gordon Buchanan
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z19vax4Ede
It is a very long article but I hope you read it all and those lucky to be living in the U.K. can see for themselves the first episode tomorrow night at 9pm on BBC 2.(3rd Jan.)
:2thumbsup:
Jo,or anybody living in the U.K...did you see the documentary ?

also is there any follow-up on the 'Spying' Griffon Vulture who was arrested ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Brit

Post by Brit »

@macdoum: there is a continuation to this wonderful story and I even wonder if we could not open a theme for that most remarkable Webcam where you can watch Lily and Hope together in their den

Lily & Hope Den Cam

and get a lot informations about these two bears for example a daily update http://www.bearstudy.org/website/resear ... dates.html about their doings. Lily is pregnant again and they are waiting every day for the birth. Will it be on Hopes first Birthday, the 22nd of January? Hope who had such a hard start into life and now is reunited with her mother.

Concerning the film they have this information in yesterdays, 14th of January 2011, update and I could imagine the same for Europe!?

Things don’t go as planned

……. Some months ago, National Geographic showed interest in running “The Bear Family and Me” on their TV Channel. It’s possible that some urging from Lily fans could push that over the top. We’d really like to have that shown in America…….
Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

JoUK was so kind to open a theme for this wonderful Black bear Cam:

Bear Cam - Lily and Hope

Thank you very much, dear Jo!
Have a nice day!
Brit
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Brit wrote:JoUK was so kind to open a theme for this wonderful Black bear Cam:

Bear Cam - Lily and Hope

Thank you very much, dear Jo!
Thank you Brit and Jo.. :headroll: ..~~ :D

Brit,you did a great job in setting up the links.!
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Brit

Post by Brit »

Thank you, macdoum. The idea is to spread the word to make the habits and the life etc. of these wonderful animals better known to people. And of course also the wonderful work of Dr. Lynn Rogers and his peoples!
Have a nice day!
Brit
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Macdoum, yes, there was a report that Saudi authorities have released the griffon I think it was two days ago.
Brit

Post by Brit »

Thank you, dear JoUK! That brightens my day, because I already thought the worst for the poor bird ....
Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Heartbeat for life
An unusual method saves sloths

Under the rangers of South America there is strict rule which reads as follows:”Save all anteaters and monkeys and parrots – all what can be saved. But never try to raise a sloth, because any effort is in vain.” Antonia Jurado Castillo knows this rule very well, because her boss again and again explained, that sloths can be pampered and fed and receive medical treatment – but without their mother, without her permanent heartbeat, they will die a slow and sad death. “It is a natural law”, her boss always reminds. „Nothing in this world can save those orphans.”

And so on this very day, as the little “Paulo” was brought to the breeding station, Antonia only was supposed to protect him from suffering. She draws up a syringe with the deadly medicine, opens the lug of the cage – and paused. Something in the eyes of this tiny being stopped her. Carefully she is picking up the sloth, - her hand is ruffling through the silky-smooth baby fur - and in this very moment the ‘wild animal protector’ is making a decision from which she knows, that it can cost her job: she puts aside the syringe – and lets Paulo live. In the same night she is smuggling him home, is installing the incubator beside of her bed and provides him with everything he needs. And yet: although he is eating and drinking and getting love condition is getting worse. After three days the little sloth has lost one third of his weight, after five days he deceed the minimum. “I was in despair” Antonia says. “Paulo was dying under my hands.“ But: when all countermeasures failed the young woman got an idea, which was so absurd, that it had to be good. Into an old teddy she was sewing a hot water bottle and an old fashioned alarm-clock just to simulate the nearness and the rhythmic heartbeat of a mothers heart. And really: with all his power of his little body Paulo was clinging to the teddy and in the nights and days which followed he never loosened his clutch. Within one week he got back his normal weight and all results recovered. It is a sensation which among experts which made headlines – and a flood of donations namely teddies meant for the young orphans who need each heartbeat to survive ...

Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

What a lovely story.. :cry: very stirring.
Emily Dickinson
Brit

Post by Brit »

When men soften up
As two squabblers become loving parent ...

Nervous Jerry turns around again and again. Where is she? Since hours he was waiting for his wife – in vain. She did not come back from forage. You can tell by the face of the ostrich: he would love to look for her. But he cannot. Because he is sitting on a clutch of 17 eggs. As soon as he gets up his offspring is in danger. Jerry knows that and stays.

Since three days Ranger Scott Draper is watching the little drama. „It was clear, that Jerry is now a single parent. I wanted to know how an ostrich is behaving in such a situation. Would he leave the clutch?” The breeding became a life-threatening torture. If in blazing heat up to 50°C or in the cold of the night. Jerry does not move. He suffers hunger and thirst. And for sure he was scared – if hyaenas would show up. A strong ostrich-couple can keep away the robbers from the nest with feared kicks. But one alone – and that in all means totally down? And yet, Jerry keeps sitting. 40 nights and days.

Than finally the time has come: daddy ostrich freed the last of his seventeen chicks out of the shell. Just in the very moment when he for the first time wanted to guide his swarm of chicks into the world, a strange ostrich cock is approaching – obviously with the intention to kidnap the chicks. “Sometimes cocks kidnap other chicks when they don´t have an own family”, Scott Draper declares. But not so with Jerry. He mobilized his last strength and showed the opponent who the real father is. All of a sudden the trouble is over. And it looks like the squabblers entered into an agreement of love and reason. They take the chicks in their middle and from this very moment they both stay with the chicks. Therefore becoming the first ostrich family in Africa without mother – but with two fathers ….

Georg Barthel

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

A smoochy couple
How a little chimpanzee learned how to behave

Little chimpanzees are tender beings. They don´t know wickedness, don´t breed mischief. That’s the rule. Mischief is the exception: at the age of eight months he starts to throw the food of his comrades against visitors –at the age of eleven weeks he even drove the leader nuts. “he is a sad rebel” Sue Norton says, the monkey keeper of the zoo. His mother rejected him when he was still a baby. Since than he is a bit of a bully. The situation is clear, we need a foster mother who teaches him manners – best would be a female dog.”

A no way abnormal decision: “dogs have a strict social behavior” Sue explains, “and this they teach to the youngsters”. A case for Sue´s bulldog Norma: the dog lady with the biggest heart in the world: an experienced foster mother, who already took a recalcitrant tiger baby and two litters of mice ‘under her wings’ . A good decision it seems: Norma loves Mischief from the first moment on. But the little outcasted monkey lost his primal trust – he cannot return this affection. “First he pinched Normas feeding dish” Sue tells. “She let him. Then he hid with it in the sleeping box and hit her on the nose.“ Start difficulties? Not really:”Again and again Mischief concocted some nonsense – he even started to lock Norma in the garden and than plunder the foot locker.” In his file she mentioned, that the monkey indignant rejects any kind of endearment. After 2 months Sue was a nervous wreck – she is bringing Mischief to a breeding station. “Pay attention he is difficult” she declares. Three days later her telephone is ringing:”I cannot understand you, this monkey is not at all a rebel” the veterinarian says. “Quite the opposite – he is sitting apathetic in a corner and does not eat.” In the same minute Sue is together with Norma on the way. And something strange happens: Mischief for the first time in days is looking up. Than, without another gesture, he is clinging to Normas neck. “There I knew – these two belong together – if they squabble all the time or not” Sue says. Today Mischief and Norma are of one mind. Only the fight for the sleeping box flashes every evening again. Until now Mischief has the edge on – but Norma insists to cuddle in secret during the nights…..

Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Barbara from the FF posted this, which is sooo funny! From the BBC:

Hilarious British animal voiceovers
Have a nice day!
Brit
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Brit wrote:Barbara from the FF posted this, which is sooo funny! From the BBC:

:rotf:
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Brit wrote:Barbara from the FF posted this, which is sooo funny! From the BBC:

Kitty KCMO
leonia

Post by leonia »

I received the following link from a German forum-friend Doris to an english article on an owl been found drunk:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 57,00.html
Brit

Post by Brit »

A smoochy couple
How a little chimpanzee learned how to behave

Little chimpanzees are tender beings. They don´t know wickedness, don´t breed mischief. That’s the rule. Mischief is the exception: at the age of eight months he starts to throw the food of his comrades against visitors –at the age of eleven weeks he even drove the leader nuts. “he is a sad rebel” Sue Norton says, the monkey keeper of the zoo. His mother rejected him when he was still a baby. Since than he is a bit of a bully. The situation is clear, we need a foster mother who teaches him manners – best would be a female dog.”

A no way abnormal decision: “dogs have a strict social behavior” Sue explains, “and this they teach to the youngsters”. A case for Sue´s bulldog Norma: the dog lady with the biggest heart in the world: an experienced foster mother, who already took a recalcitrant tiger baby and two litters of mice ‘under her wings’ . A good decision it seems: Norma loves Mischief from the first moment on. But the little outcasted monkey lost his primal trust – he cannot return this affection. “First he pinched Normas feeding dish” Sue tells. “She let him. Then he hid with it in the sleeping box and hit her on the nose.“ Start difficulties? Not really:”Again and again Mischief concocted some nonsense – he even started to lock Norma in the garden and than plunder the foot locker.” In his file she mentioned, that the monkey indignant rejects any kind of endearment. After 2 months Sue was a nervous wreck – she is bringing Mischief to a breeding station. “Pay attention he is difficult” she declares. Three days later her telephone is ringing:”I cannot understand you, this monkey is not at all a rebel” the veterinarian says. “Quite the opposite – he is sitting apathetic in a corner and does not eat.” In the same minute Sue is together with Norma on the way. And something strange happens: Mischief for the first time in days is looking up. Than, without another gesture, he is clinging to Normas neck. “There I knew – these two belong together – if they squabble all the time or not” Sue says. Today Mischief and Norma are of one mind. Only the fight for the sleeping box flashes every evening again. Until now Mischief has the edge on – but Norma insists to cuddle in secret during the nights…..

Dorothee Teves

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

The Alphabeth of the wolves
How she-wolf Hillary rescued her cub

For days she squat in the cold cave, her whining pub clinging close to her to give him protection and safety. She felt, that without food soon her powers would fail and so she cowered and crawled to the exit of her hiding-place. It took her very long until she dared to hesitantly to go out in the grey of the wintercoldness. Park-Ranger Jason Green touched lightly his neighbor and whispered: “There is Hillary! She really survived!” Jason raised his gun and and hit safely with narcotic arrow. The rangers dashed to the cave and saved the shivering cub and the deeply anaesthesized she-wolf. The end of a bloody drama which took place only a few days before in the territory of the wolves of Glacier National Park.

Hillary and her mate, the male wolf Bill, had been the Alpha-animals, the chiefs of the pack of wolves. Jason Green named the two like that with a smile, after it was clear that they would fight themselves through to head the pack – like the first couple of the Nation, the Clintons. The pack was comfortably off, because soon Hillary and Bill were leading it to hunt, shared the prey and even decided who was allowed to mate – the Alpha animals reigned supreme over their family. As the pack killed a cow the furious ranger vowed vengeance. With a gang of drunken scoundrels he ambushed the wolves and created a bloodbath among the unsuspecting animals, who, thanks to ranger Jason Green never had experienced anything bad from humans. Only Hillary could rescue herself together with one cub only in a cave. They will survive, because Jason will affectionately care for them, until he finds a new Alpha male wolf for Hillary and she may be released to freedom. The bandits are sitting in jail. Jason calls them “Omega peoples”: Alpha is the beginning, Omega the end of the Greek alphabet.

T.F. Emmiot

Have a nice day!
Brit
Brit

Post by Brit »

Tossed into life
The orphans of Alice Springs

The story of “Zacks” miraculous rescue started with a tragedy. His mother was killed at a truck-accident. Considering 30 millions of kangaroos these kind of collisions happen every day on the Road of Australia. Exceedingly tragic: often the babies survive uninjured in the bag – but hardly have a chance to survive without their mother.

But “Zack” had a guardian angel: a car driver found the helpless Kangaroo-baby and knew what to do: a few miles further in Alice Springs there is an orphanage for kangaroos. Here is a place where it is affectionately cared for the helpless animal babies – until they can be released to nature . Here also “Zack” should be able to start his new life. “Zack” – Ranger Phil Luton gave him the name. He is pampering his babies with a homemade special milk. Because they cannot stand cowmilk.

But Lutons biggest problem was: how to replace mothers love to the orphans? No other animal is growing up in such a close relationship to the mother as a kangaroo baby – it feels the love of its mother with each heartbeat. For kangaroo babies the feeling of security is as necessary for life as milk. But how to give the feeling of security without adapting the animal baby too much to humans? Because tame kangaroos don´t have a chance in the wilderness.

For this the twelve year old Cheryl Dawson had a great idea: she made up the kangaroo-mother-alternative bag – sewed from remnants. In this the orphans feel just fine and secure, nearly as in their mothers bag. During daytime the alternative bags are hanging on the garden fence and during nighttime on a coat hook. Since long “Zack” does not fit anymore in such a bag: from the little one he had become in the meantime a 80 kg heavy giant – “Zack” is ready for the adventure in the Outback. Ready for the kangaroo life after the life in the bag ….

Georg Barthel

Have a nice day!
Brit
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Photo: David White/Flickr
(unrelated but very cute seal on Lindisfarne)

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animal ... le-journey

Three Farne Island seal pups were washed out to sea before they were one month old. They were feared dead but they washed up on a beach 350 miles away in the Netherlands.

Return to “Stories and News”