Stories (not only) from the wildlife

krobbe

Re: Stories (not only) from the wildlife

Post by krobbe »

Our local newspaper here in Piteå, had an article today, about the increase of White Tailed eagles in Sweden. And hopefully i may have the opportunity to see one of the breeding pairs that have their nests in Norrbotten, our county here.
One of the newspaper-photografer has namely taken some fine photos of an eagle just about 4 kilometers from my home.
I'll be carrying my camera next time I be in that area. :2thumbsup:
Be yourself, there's enough of all the other
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

http://www.kainuunsanomat.fi/kainuun-sa ... sjarvella/
Google translation: The female eagle was found dead nest in Pudasjärvi in Northern Ostrobothnia. Dead eagle found in connection with by Metsähallitus springtime nest inspection.

Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira , the golden eagle is shot with a sniper rifle in the lair of February and March . On the Dead eagle was another eagle continued housing decoration. Tyre According to data from the eagle was a 14 -year-old .

Shooter Kotka suspected of having committed a criminal offense for Nature Conservation . Possible sightings are requested to inform Pudasjärven police station 0295 416 641 or the police Oulu 0295 416 194 .
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

a young stork landed yesterday in the middle of Berlin :shock:
I hope someone finds him and brings help :bow:

quote:
However, the young animal seemed disoriented. No wonder: because the stork was nursed by conservationists in the nursing station in Linum (Ostprignitz-Ruppin), after he had fallen out of the nest. He even got a name: Lucky.

Several weeks spent in the Happy stork village. Now he has been released into the wild. But Lucky did not get far. After 54 kilometers he took a stopover in the capital. Normally storks can fly up to 300 kilometers a day. But if you have never lived in the wild, their migratory behavior is often disturbed.

Whoever sees Lucky, logs, please contact Marion Szindlowski from the Nabu-Storchenschmiede Linum

http://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/charlott ... berlin-ein
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I saw today a man who had a Harris Hawk. I asked him what he does with it. He says he will train him to hunt.
Can a private individual have a Harris Hawk?
I am appalled. He had it on his arm.
In the other hand he had a cigarette. People stood around him, he has shown the bird.

He stood on a bike path at the Bodden

I told him, that I didn't find it good. He said, stupid nature conservationists.
ame

Post by ame »

i got a video greeting from a LK member Y229. Y229 lives in SW Finland on Lake Pyhäjärvi. (rather near to the small town where i grew up; actually he grew up in the same town but we never knew each other back then)
he takes great pictures of for example ospreys and WTEs, as well as of other animals and plants. one of his specialties is the pursuit to take pictures of eagles' rings for identification purposes (for example eagles in flight which is quite a trick!). he also works with the SW-Finland's branch of the WWF Working group for WTEs. in the early summers he travels with the men who ring WTEaglets, taking photographs of the ringing procedures.

the title and the texts of the video are in Finnish so i'll give explanations here.
the title Merikotkan tekopesän rakennus is "Construction of an artificial nest for WTE".
the description of the video and the text in the beginning tell practically the same: the group of the SW Finland's branch of the WWF Working group for WTEs replaced a WTE nest which was broken in a storm late last summer. the group was more precisely "Sami and helpers" and the work took place in November 2015. photo&editing are by HVP (Y229).

more pictures of the nest construction can be found here:
http://www.dataeura.fi/kuvia/Sea_Eagle_ ... ekari1115/
the are three 'album's' of pictures which can be selected by clicking the numbers below the title "tekari1115" on the left. one easy way to see all pictures is to select the slide show on the right above the big picture.
(tekari is nickname for tekopesä, artificial nest. tekari also means 'denture' in Finnish. :mrgreen: )

in the beginning of the video we see the remains of the nest still hanging on one branch of the pine tree. you can see another pine tree broken in the middle quite near to the nest tree on its right side. perhaps that was broken in the same storm which made the nest collapse. it reminded me vividly of what happened at the Latvian nest this summer: a lightning bolt struck the big oak quite next to the nest tree and blew it up into toothpicks. it could have been on the other way round: the nest tree could have been blown into smithereens.

the female of this WTE couple who occupy this territory is of Swedish origin and the male is Finnish. they have successfully raised eaglets in this nest in several seasons. the hopes are high that they will accept the artificial nest platform as a replacement home for their future families.

Sami worked in the tree for about 3 hours. we also see that he had to climb up more than once to complete this work. the construction of the nest elements must also have taken many working hours back in the workshop. also the travel to nest site and back home have taken hours of the group members' time. the metal frame with a wire mesh which is the basis of the nest was received as a gift from a Finnish steel company named Rautaruukki. Y229 told me that a handful of artificial nests are built on similar platforms. thank you Rautaruukki!
(Rautaruukki or recently Ruukki has become a part of Swedish SSAB since 2014; i think i may make a short commercial break like this here. :rolleyes: )

well done Sami and helpers! :thumbs: :bow:
thank you Y229 for the video and pictures! :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

that's a great job. I'm excited! :headroll: :2thumbsup:
Ame, thank you for sharing this :thumbs:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

In a Russian zoo a cat leaves their food alive. The beginning of a friendship. Of which could also learn the policy, says the zookeeper. :whistling:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/tie ... -1.2783726

https://www.google.de/search?q=wladiwos ... 60&bih=717
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

:thumbs:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
ame

Post by ame »

hubby happened to find this link yesterday: a cat with prosthetic hind legs. :shock:
this cat Vincent was born malformed, without the lower part of his hind legs.

the next link that came up after this was a video of the first cat who has undergone such an operation.
this cat Oscar had lost his hind paws in a combine harvester accident.

this was something new to me. i'm not quite sure of what to think about this... :unsure:
many years ago i read about a cat who got a new canine tooth (cats apparently have canine teeth, too, not fellines. :mrgreen: ), a pivot crown or should it be called an implant tooth. :puzzled: it was at least 20 years ago so maybe implant were not invented yet. it was a very special operation but so was the cat. it was a pedigree cat and its show career would have ended without perfect teeth. this kind of operation sounded in a way more 'natural' than giving cats prosthetic limbs. :unsure:
ame

Post by ame »

in the Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat there are weekly sciences pages where among other things children's science-related questions are answered by experts. the best questions are usually made by the youngest kids. today 5-year-old Sirkka made a question which once puzzled me too:
"Do snakes, frogs and birds have navels?" :laugh:

i came to think about this once a few years ago when i saw a featherless area in the tummy of one little eagle chick.
(i can't remember which, maybe Illimar; edit: i found it! it was almost 3 years ago:
viewtopic.php?p=235666#p235666).

today i got the explanation. in her answer Tiina-Kaisa Kukko-Lukjanov, the professor of animal physiology in the University of Helsinki, explained that only mammals have navels. the navel develops in the tummy of the baby where the umbilical cord has been attached in the uterus for e.g. transferring nutrients to the fetus. snakes, frogs, birds and other such animals which develop in eggs have instead a yoke in the egg and that is attached to the developing fetus.

Prof. Kukko-Lukjanov writes: "In principle snakes, frogs and birds could develop a navel on the spot where the fetus has been attached to the yoke. Usually there will not be any mark on that spot. Krodile-animals sometimes have visible scar tissue on the spot where the yoke has been attached to."
http://www.hs.fi/tiede/a1453351792545

i once had the same thought about birds, too. bird chicks don't usually consume all of the yoke before hatching. the remaining yoke is absorbed into the chick stomach just before hatching. i thought that there might be a scar-like mark on that spot. it seems, however, that i was wrong about this. :D

another question came to my mind while i wrote this. human navels can be seen well because we have no fur and usually our navels are so big that they can also be found eyes closed, just by touching. is it the same with other mammals, like cats and dogs? do they have visible navels inside their fur? i think i shall have to investigate this on our cat right away. :whistling:

edit: the cat's fur was too thick so i could not find anything visually. palpation didn't reveal any signs of a naval either. i couldn't be very thorough because her attitude was not very favourable to my investigation. :mrgreen:
however, i believe that she has a navel hidden somewhere. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

copied from the Est-WTE topic:
30 Jun 2016, 00:21 ghost ink wrote:dumb. I wrote a long rant about a tragedy concerning spotted-eagles, and when I tried to post it, I had been automatically logged out from the forums. :banghead: so, this one went down the drain.

anyway, here is the problem I wanted to share http://www.ohtuleht.ee/744766/ageda-met ... kotka-poeg In short, it says how a private owned tract of forest land has been chopped down and the spotted-eaglet has been killed in the process.

(I didn't find any better place to share it, please forgive me that)

If it is wrong to discuss it here, I will edit this post down. Thanks.

EDIT
[article text in English: ]

During heavy logging, a Spotted Eagle chick was killed (29.06.2016)

Raplamaa, Tuhala village. A tree with Spotted Eagle nest was cut down during logging. Eaglet fell out the nest and died. Some local people told that the eaglet was still alive even after the logging. "There, on that ground was that eagle chick," said a local hunter. "I immediately phoned to environment inspectorate, and asked them to come as soon as possible, because this is first class most strictly protected species nest. But when the inspector arrived, then the eaglet was already dead" concluded the hunter sadly.
"When you are working with chainsaw, then you look to the trees, also how and in which direction to cut a tree. You would also see that there is a nest. But men with harvesters they look nothing, they see nothing, only focus right in front of them, and how to drop logs."
Leili Tuul, a PR advison from environmental inspectorate confirms that they recieved a call in Monday eavning. "We were told that in Tuhala village, at Otiveski property, logging and harvesting is being conducted, yet there is eagle nest in there, and everyone knows about the nest." After recieving this call inspectors went over there to check. "It turned out that the nest tree had been cut down, and the eaglet was dead. Motherbird was no where to find," said the agency PR advisor, she was also confirming that the loggers had all the necessary permits in place for logging.
How this could happen in the first place the advisor could not say. "It is probably a Lesser Spotted Eagle, but it still needs to be clarified. Further details of the incident and what happened will be clarified during the proceedings."
According to Estonian Encyclopedia, there are two species of Spotted Eagles: Lesser Spotted Eagle and Greater Spotted Eagle. Both are under protection category 1, and critically endangered species by the Estonian Red Book of 2008.
Large Spotted Eagle population has a severe downturn, and 20-30 pairs nesting in Estonia. The Lesser Spotted Eagle is much more common, it is believed to be 400-600 in pairs. Both species are threatened by logging and destruction of breeding sites especially suitable for food areas overgrown with bushes.
ame

Post by ame »

On 30 Jun 2016, 00:35 Jo UK wrote:ghost ink, we do need it to be in English, please. Then we can post it on a topic suitable for LSEs.
:cry: What an awful event it was.

Could you copy the text into a Translator then post the translated text here (Transformer, says ame!) then everyone knows what it is about.

This is a suitable place for such news. Stories and News
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=159&start=440
copied.
ame

Post by ame »

ghost ink wrote:During heavy logging, a Spotted Eagle chick was killed (29.06.2016)

A tree with Spotted Eagle nest was cut down during logging. Eaglet fell out the nest and died.
On 30 Jun 2016, 08:22 Rainer wrote:Little correction-killed eaglet wasn't Large Spotted Eagle but Buzzard chick.Sad and warning accident anyway :cry:
On 30 Jun 2016, 08:39 vainamoinen wrote:Yes, it looks so. At least bird in the photo in Õhtuleht webpage definitely is a Buzzard chick. It's also very unlikely that LSE could have so well developed chicks in the end of June.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

A Finnish article of an eaglet who was replaced on a nest of another eagle family after falling down from his own nest:
http://www.suomenluonto.fi/sisalto/arti ... nnenpotku/

A rather rough translation by Google translator:

Nature photographer Eeva-Liisa Sepponen discovered by Quark to have fallen from the tree with the nest large-sized eagle's son, who was famished and bottomed out. Parent birds did not know how to feed it, because the undergrowth was dense.

The infant was taken to first eagle researcher Juhani Koivusaari under the direction of the nearby open beach where queens hoped to be able to feed it. This did not happen, so Eeva-Liisa took the pup to her house temporarily cared. There the eagle's son received his food, among other things, donated by a local fisherman Quark wild salmon!

After a couple of days of home care and cuddles eagle ended up in Ostrobothnia wild animals rescue center, where it gradually strengthened and gained weight to normal dimensions.

Since it was clear that the boy would become an eagle salons, wild animal, thought came to take it to one another about the same size eaglet accompaniment to the right, although the alien nest.

Audit round statistics were found in a number of suitable candidates at the nest, which to a boy eagle veteran Timo Lummen Aki climbed the eagle in his rucksack. Aki fell orphan boy gently casing there's a buzzing eagle accompany the boy.

After a few days of climbing operation was repeated - wanted to see how the investment was successful. And after all it was, circled boys were in harmony with each other, and the son of a former orphanage housing more alert than the original inhabitant!

In the context of moving to the nest was left travel souvenir couple of pounds of fresh fish - this batch had already disappeared in its entirety, which we conclude that the parent birds had visited the spot. We believe that adults have adopted and brought up as their own, and, presumably, both young men can still get on Their wings.

This sort of mission is probably not very many examples in the history of the eagle. The only known is kotkarengastaja Seppo J. Ojala in Lapland by the 1980s.

In any case, the stress test was hard and brave, but the result seemed all the more fancier: one young eagles were rescued, even with nature and their own wings when the alternative would have been the heads off method (Animal Protection Act, a decent bet) or the rest of your life cooped up in a cage.

Text: Pekka Peura and Timo Lumme
Photo: Aki Lumme
ColinA

Post by ColinA »

News story on the BBC website.
Eagle tries to carry off Australian boy

A wedge-tailed eagle tried to fly away with a terrified boy at a popular wildlife show in central Australia.
A crowd of stunned onlookers watched the enormous bird latch its talons on to the screaming boy's head during a show at Alice Springs Desert Park.
Witnesses said the bird attempted to pick him up "like a small animal".
The boy - believed to be between six and eight years old - escaped with a "superficial" gash to his face.
Christine O'Connell from Horsham in Victoria state was visiting the park with her husband on 6 July when the attack occurred.
She told the BBC the eagle flew straight for the boy from about 15m away.
"A fellow who was sitting closer said the little boy kept running his zipper up and down," said Mrs O'Connell, who caught the attack on her camera.
Distracted by the noise, the eagle grabbed the boy's green hoodie and attempted to him lift away before park staff moved in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36771205
Biker

Post by Biker »

after 2 1/2 days!!! and 150 gunshots: an Eagle was rescued with a rifle

http://www.stern.de/panorama/weltgesche ... 34246.html
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Brit

Post by Brit »

Orphaned Elephants - Wisdom of the Wild

If this is not a wonderful film about the rescue of orphaned Elephants. I just have to share it with you, and I hope many will have a look ,- it's real worth it:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/UeTmE71uEaw[/youtube]
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote:Sky King Swimming-with-lunch :2thumbsup:

https://www.facebook.com/ImpressiveEart ... 408201014/
Solo, here is the whole event. It was a still alive coot :rolleyes:

Return to “Stories and News”