General Questions about birds

Our Questions about Estonian Webcam Birds
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

General Questions about birds

Post by Felis silvestris »

We have questions for LSE, Black Storks, but not for other birds. I hope that questions here will find answers.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

I have a question about the beak - is it normal that a part of it is pink? Is this turning yellow now too or is it anything wrong? I don't know if this was asked before, then I missed it. I would be very grateful to get an answer because I am in sorrow about that. Thanks in advance - Bleggi

Pic is taken this morning - I am watching this cam every free minute and until very late in the night. How I love this sweeties :hi:
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Felis silvestris wrote:We have questions for LSE, Black Storks, but not for other birds. I hope that questions here will find answers.
So where can I ask a question about i.e. a specific bird song I heard and recorded? There are many people on these forums with a lot of knowledge of birds that do not have a nest camera. It would be great to have a thread for these kind of questions so there is a chance of getting these questions answered.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Marfo wrote: So where can I ask a question about i.e. a specific bird song I heard and recorded? There are many people on these forums with a lot of knowledge of birds that do not have a nest camera. It would be great to have a thread for these kind of questions so there is a chance of getting these questions answered.

Marfo here is a thread :laugh: it is opened 2013!
viewtopic.php?p=253190#p253190
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Liz01 wrote:Marfo here is a thread :laugh: it is opened 2013!
Thank you Liz but I don't think someone with answers to my questions will go to the 'social corner' to see if there is someone who has a question that needs an 'expert answer'. I would think that a thread called 'Expert Aswers' would be perfect for that. But much to my surprise I am wrong.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Liz01 wrote:Marfo here is a thread :laugh: it is opened 2013!
Marfo wrote:Thank you Liz but I don't think someone with answers to my questions will go to the 'social corner' to see if there is someone who has a question that needs an 'expert answer'. I would think that a thread called 'Expert Aswers' would be perfect for that. But much to my surprise I am wrong.
@ Marfo although i am no expert, i become more and more curious to your questions. :whistling:
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

:hi: Biker,
:D Well nothing special but now and then when I hear a bird singing and I ask what it was there is not always somebody around who knows. Then a few pages onwards the post is not read anymore. So it would be great if there is a thread where you can ask. I know I am not the only one.
How about this one:
viewtopic.php?p=473535#p473535
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Marfo wrote::hi: Biker,
:D Well nothing special but now and then when I hear a bird singing and I ask what it was there is not always somebody around who knows. Then a few pages onwards the post is not read anymore. So it would be great if there is a thread where you can ask. I know I am not the only one.
How about this one:
The sound on that cam is very distorted. To me an important reason for not watching.
The bird (or birds?) in your video could be a Song thrush but because of the distortion I can not be sure.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Marfo wrote::hi: Biker,
How about this one:
oh, i see, Marfo
I agree with Hagnat that your example is hard to solve (because of the soundquality)
well, this thread "Expert Answers" fits for those kind of questions.
the second part of this topic is "what kind of bird is this".
that would be good too? :wave:
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Biker wrote:oh, i see, Marfo
I agree with Hagnat that your example is hard to solve (because of the soundquality)
Yes, you and Hagnat are right, the sound is lousy. But this is the only screen recording programme available for Mac I could find (until now). Hagnat's programme is not for Mac.
But the birdsong is not cut in any way, it is the fast flow of notes going down, that can be heard very well. Maybe the two sparrow-like chirps that can sometimes be heard shortly before that belong to the song two. I thought it was very special, never heard anything like it (which doesn't mean an awful lot but ok). It is not a Song Thrush. Or it must be a very rare 'Latvian ... Thrush' or something similar... :shake:
Biker wrote:well, this thread "Expert Answers" fits for those kind of questions.
the second part of this topic is "what kind of bird is this".
that would be good too? :wave:
Oeps! I missed that :blush:
I must be blind. Thank you!
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Marfo, the bad sound is not your fault or the fault of your recorder, but of the webcam.
Some cams are bad, probably caused by the use of 'ancient' or cheap equipment.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Hagnat wrote:Marfo, the bad sound is not your fault or the fault of your recorder, but of the webcam.
Some cams are bad, probably caused by the use of 'ancient' or cheap equipment.
No, the original sound of the live Youtube stream was not that bad. It is the recorder. I have made other recordings of Pontu videos. Same thing. I think it has some sort of white noise suppression built in so the recorded sound (achtergrondruis) is suppressed until a louder sound is detected. Then it starts recording the sound including the white noise.

Return to “Expert Answers”