Wild Boar webcam Season 2011 - 2012

Webcams of Wild Boar Feeding During Winter Time
Jo UK
Site Admin

Re: Wild Boar webcam Season 2011 - 2012

Post by Jo UK »

I have just learned that the camera equipment was damaged by some forestry equipment. Mr. LK will write about it soon! Keep watching the LK front page.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Jo UK wrote:I have just learned that the camera equipment was damaged by some forestry equipment. Mr. LK will write about it soon! Keep watching the LK front page.
:faint:

But thanks, Jo, for the information!
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Manu

Post by Manu »

:cry: , but thanks for the information, Jo...
Liis

Post by Liis »

Jo UK wrote:I have just learned that the camera equipment was damaged by some forestry equipment. Mr. LK will write about it soon! Keep watching the LK front page.
Thanks, Jo!

Hmmm, meaning that translators had better stay awake? :wave:
Or we put our trust in Google translate? :innocent:

Meanwhile, while we wait for more camera information and, hopefully, boars and other creatures to come back on line – here is some more information on the collared raccoon dogs. - Remember the pair in the beginning of December?

The RDs with transmitter collars are part of a doctorate study; postgraduate student Karmen Süld, supervisor Harri Valdmann, University of Tartu Zoology department.
The aim of the project is to study what the RDs eat [wouldn’t being near a feeding ground distort that?], what illnesses and parasites they spread, how active they are in winter and how they influence ground-nesting bird populations. [there has been a pre-project on those lines, testing the feasibility of equipment etc, involving 3 RDs in Soomaa]
A third RD was collared; Harri Valdmann caught it, helped by his dachshound, in his own garden in a Tartu suburb. However, after having gotten its collar that raccoon dog has disappeared, sender and all, without trace.
The pair in Ilmatsalu have stayed nicely observable. They live a couple of kilometres from the boar feeding ground, at a dried-out pond almost in Ilmatsalu village. (”From that you might believe that they like humans but at the collaring we were well and properly bitten”, Harri Valdmann told). Until the great frost arrived the RDs went diligently back and forth between the feeding ground and their sleeping place. At least five more RDs will get collars.
Harri Valdmann notes that RDs have their heat period now, and should soon be leaving their dens properly.
(From article in EPL, Estonian newspaper in Stockholm, March 7, guess it is on agreement from an Estonian Estonian newspaper)

EDIT: Checked with EPL, Stockholm (not to be confused with Eesti Päevaleht, also shortened EPL :mrgreen: in Estonia): article about LK specially written for EPL, Stockholm
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Thanks Jo and Liis - :cry:
Google translator said "wild men" dragged out trees and smashed an antenna :shock: Wild boar would have been better!
I hope the equipment can be repaired before the season is over! :help: :bow:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I was the Raccoon dogs with the transmitter collars forgotten. :blush:

I hope that in the end of the season will give positive results

thanks Liis for the info
Pitti

Post by Pitti »

:wave: Thank you, Jo and Liis for information!

Let us hope the best.
Bea

Post by Bea »

There is already the english translation on looduskalender ..... ouhhhhh, what a mess .... :cry:

Just give me a few minutes in a dark chamber with that guy who drove the harvester .... :rant:

:laugh:

Well, horrific wild boars will follow him into his dreams until the cable is repaired .... 8-)
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Liis

Post by Liis »

Felis silvestris wrote:Thanks Jo and Liis - :cry:
Google translator said "wild men" dragged out trees and smashed an antenna :shock: Wild boar would have been better!
Let us hope there is some forest left too ...
Altough it must be easier to set up a stage landscape these days than in Potemkin's days ... With some Harry Potter wizardry? Virtual trees - less risky in collisions too? :mrgreen:
I seem to remember somebody protesting that along many roads just a thin line of trees remained, to give an impression of forest ...
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I think I filmed the harvester the other day, was like some primeval animal walking along the road there :shock:

Thanks Liis for the quick translation, I sent away mine a few minutes ago.
Well, now we can just wait and see if and how fast the parts can be replaced! :bow:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Fleur

Post by Fleur »

thank you for the update Looduskalender and Liis for the translation

We will wait and hopefully it can be repaired.
We would like to see the little wild boar in their beautiful stripe pajamas :rolleyes:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Felis silvestris wrote:Thanks Jo and Liis - :cry:
Google translator is quite entertaining, but I do prefer Liis's style! It's more accurate :laugh:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Thank you for letting us know what happened to the boar cam, Jo. And also, Felis, thank you for showing the big harvester on the road. I am sure that is what it was, it was huge! So I hope it will not be too many days before the repairs can be made. Then we will see & hear our piggies again.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

And I think the harvester was the strange truck I saw one day.

And I suspect that it is the beast that made all the wild noises on days when I saw nothing.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Jo UK wrote: Google translator is quite entertaining, but I do prefer Liis's style! It's more accurate :laugh:
That's right :rotf: If I am very interested in an article before Liis can do her translation (or also for my own translations) I use Google translator to get an idea, but sometimes it is just hilarious what comes out! One big problem for the English to German translator is also that we see a lot of "tits" around ... :dunno: That sometimes gives odd results, to put it mildly! :whistling:

Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Felis silvestris wrote: That's right :rotf: If I am very interested in an article before Liis can do her translation (or also for my own translations) I use Google translator to get an idea, but sometimes it is just hilarious what comes out! One big problem for the English to German translator is also that we see a lot of "tits" around ... :dunno: That sometimes gives odd results, to put it mildly! :whistling:
:rotf: I'll bet it does!
Kitty KCMO
Flex

Post by Flex »

@felis
the google translators often made a fun with us.

the harvester worked last time very hard. beside the road also many wood trunks were stacked.

in memory:

my first thought was too: the cable was bitten by fox, pig or rd (no wlan). :whistling:
the half live consists of arrangement, subordination and regulation
Liis

Post by Liis »

I think of Google translator as a kind of kaleidoscope. It takes some hard shakes - outside GT - to get the bits and pieces right (hopefully).
It can come up with useful words and phrases to borrow; I use it too. Although it can go all wrong at times even with a simple word, and that can happen from one sentence to another: correct in line 1, haywire in line 2. And it has that ambition to translate names, very literally.

Trying to work out why and how it went wrong is entertaining too :innocent:

To be fair to GT, this is with 1) Estonian language involved, which seems very hard for GT 2) not quite everyday texts and subjects.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Google translator is definitely a help to get some idea, if you don't have any idea - like I have sitting in front of an Estonian text. I guess Estonian is a hard language for GT to translate. For English I don't really need it, it's just a handy thing to have a sentence already to work with.
But some of the things which come out are really funny, if I try to describe a bird's colours and suddenly I am in drug raid or tits dance around me ... I have my fun with it, definitely! And it seems to learn, in the beginning I had much more untranslated Estonian words in the texts! And I also learn, in the meantime I also know how to search for those untranslated words, if they are important! :nod:

Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Felis silvestris wrote:Google translator is definitely a help to get some idea, . . . But some of the things which come out are really funny, if I try to describe a bird's colours and suddenly I am in drug raid or tits dance around me ... I have my fun with it, definitely! . . .
Oh my goodness! :whistling: That is hilarious! :rotf: :mrgreen:
Kitty KCMO

Return to “Wild Pig Camera Forum”