Ideas from the Front Page

Comments and Ideas from Items on LK Main Page
leonia

Re: Ideas from the Front Page

Post by leonia »

Hello Liis, I have just finished the translation! :dunno:
I think the author must have written his article to drive his translators insane! :banghead:
Or his readers, with his endless, meandering thoughts. We have a German phrase ("von hinten durch die Brust ins Auge" = from behind through the chest into the eye) of which the article reminds me.
And you are surely right: he indeed has spectacular thoughts cutting darkness with a knife . . . but were are the roses for, he holds in his other hand? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the interpretation of "Karask".
Liis

Post by Liis »

Meandering by quantum leaps, maybe?
I am rather fascinated. Apprehensive too, about the translations of course - missing some subtle physicist jokes and allusions for instance.
But definitely looking forward to more of Õueonu. Hmmm. Õueonu's Christmas can really be something ...

Estonian members - a genuine recipe for karask, please?
The ones I found seem by far too refined and complicated.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Names and logics :puzzled: -
The brown hare is also called the European hare - but the mountain hare is said to be the ancient native Estonian species http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/8888
So isn't it European?
The brown hare is called tyskhare, German hare, in Swedish.

Those domestic or city pigeons http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/8887
Complicated business - rock pigeons seem to have been domesticated, with some strains becoming carrier pigeons, others kept for eating, or general amusement. Some then escaped and went native, became feralized (interesting word - feral sounds very bloodthirsty). So there are domestic pigeons and domestic pigeons gone wild again, and the free-living city pigeons are not really domestic pigeons?
Can any pigeon-keeper explain, please, what they should be called?
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Here we have also the Long-tailed tit in the garden, but with more black on the head.
that on the main page, we call white head tail tit.
they are beautiful.

and those urban pigeons......
who eat all the birdseed, and hunt the small birds away.
ame

Post by ame »

Liis wrote:Names and logics :puzzled: -
The brown hare is also called the European hare - but the mountain hare is said to be the ancient native Estonian species http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/8888
So isn't it European?
The brown hare is called tyskhare, German hare, in Swedish.
hello Liis! :hi:
in Finnish the brown hare is called 'rusakko', which is a derivation of 'ryssä' = 'russkii' = 'russian', because these hares spread to Finland from the South-East from Russia over the Carelian Ishtmus a little over 100 years ago. so they were 'russian hares' in Finland. i wonder what the route of this species was to Sweden then..? :puzzled: it might quite easily have been 'finskhare' in Swedish, but apparently the hares aren't good at swimming... :mrgreen:

the mountain hare L. timidus is called the 'forest hare' in Finnish.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Fleur wrote:Here we have also the Long-tailed tit in the garden, but with more black on the head.
that on the main page, we call white head tail tit.
they are beautiful.

and those urban pigeons......
who eat all the birdseed, and hunt the small birds away.
so beautiful
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis I was curious about the pigeon thing because my father refers to them as Rock Doves. Someone in my general area seems to have pigeons -- they are always sitting on the roof, but those look no different from the birds that live under the bridge near the water treatment area.

Wikipedia (the fount of all knowledge :blush: )
The Rock Pigeon (Columba livia), or Rock Dove, is a member of the bird family Columbidae (doves and pigeons).[3] In common usage, this bird is often simply referred to as the "pigeon". The species includes the domestic pigeon (including the fancy pigeon), and escaped domestic pigeons have given rise to feral populations around the world.

I also wonder if it is different here as they are not native in any variant.

We are starting to see populations of other sorts of non-native doves but I will have to check to see if those are from elsewhere in the US or from Europe (or even Asia)
Liis

Post by Liis »

More to come about pigeons, I saw on the Estonian front page, Alice!
A dove somehow sounds much more classy than a pigeon. Dove grey - elegant; pigeon grey - we-ell ... Any theories BTW about what kind Noah let loose to check the state of the deluge?

Meanwhile the whole wild boar story is up, http://www.looduskalender.ee/node/8902.
It seems unnecessary to say "wild boar" - boars are after all the wild ancestors of pigs - but Wikipedia and others explain that "boar" alone may also be the male of any kind of pig or - hmmm - boar. So, wild boar for Sus scrofa.
Please, all, don't hesitate to correct translations - I am really lost at times in the various feathers of birds, the cloves, feet, toes, legs etc of fourlegged animals, the names of their offspring etc., etc
What is the correct term in English for a "kult" - young wild boar, older than piglet, but still not a proper adult. And is it always a male?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Yes I think in common American usage a boar is a male pig.

There may be a proper term, but I think juvenile pig would work for everyone (sub-adult sounds too formal) -- us pig watchers might call them piglets or rowdy hooligans but those are only terms of endearment.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Alice is the wild pig not called a Hog in America ?
In english I think we say the babes are called piglets.. in French they have a lovely dénommer= Marcassin. Very musical.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:Alice is the wild pig not called a Hog in America ?
In english I think we say the babes are called piglets.. in French they have a lovely dénommer= Marcassin. Very musical.
I think a hog just equals pig. I think it is used in backwater and or Southern areas. My dad teases my mom by talking about hog meat. I think it does tend to refer to large pigs but not necessarily wild and of course our wild pigs are just feral farm pigs. I guess we are more likely to refer to hog farmers than pig farmers (but that may be due to my heritage).
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I saw on the front page that goldfinches don't hang out at feeders much. I am wondering if your gold finches are different from ours. Goldfinch feeders to be filled with thistle seed are some of the most popular feeders here. Of course they do not seem to work very well in my yard. I do have lemon mint which has seeds that they love and they visit occasionally.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

I have heard 'hog' applied to both adult male swine & as a generic term for swine in general. About terminology for domesticated swine, from Wikepedia (retrieved at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hog_(swine):

Pig farming terminology

There are many terms specific to pig rearing. For a larger list, see Pig farming#terminology.

-Shoat, piglet or (where the species is called "hog") pig, unweaned young pig, or any immature pig.
-Sucker, a pig between birth and weaning.
-Runt, an unusually small and weak piglet, often one in a litter.
-Boar or hog, male pig of breeding age.
-Barrow, male pig castrated before puberty.
-Stag, male pig castrated later in life (that is, an older boar after castration).
-Gilt, young female not yet mated, or not yet farrowed, or after only one litter (depending on local usage).[18]
-Sow, breeding female, or female after first or second litter.

About North American goldfinches, they are very different from European ones. They are not closely related. Ours have primarily bright yellow body (olive gold in winter) & black cap with thin white streaks on the black wings, no red or brown. And ours absolutely love birdfeeders, especially in wintertime. Wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Goldfinch . Or Cornell Lab of Ornithology article here, where you can hear their beautiful song: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Amer ... ldfinch/id
Kitty KCMO
Liis

Post by Liis »

MacDoum - marcassin for piglet sounds lovely! Sort of throwing pearls for swines, though, to be honest - should seriously be reserved for something that will not grow up into the destroying armadas that wild boar flocks actually can be ... But my blessings on their work on the by now innumerable golf course lawns :mrgreen: !

Alice - thistle seed feeders for goldfinches: are you supposed to go out and pick the thistle seeds? Any particular kind of thistle? Not much seeds actually in all that fluff. But what a good excuse not to have to weed! "My goldfinches need them!". Rather nice work to pick seeds too, on a nice sunny day ...

Kitty: English/Swedish dictionary says young sheep before first shearing for hog; and "dressed up peasant" for "hog in armour" :innocent:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Liis wrote:. . .

Kitty: English/Swedish dictionary says young sheep before first shearing for hog; and "dressed up peasant" for "hog in armour" :innocent:
Oh no! :rotf: The poor peasants! Calling someone a hog in America is an insult, & I suspect the peasants were not being complimented.

RE: the thistle seed for goldfinches, I believe another name for it is "nyger" or "niger". It is not actually a thistle. Articles on it here: http://www.shawcreekbirdsupply.com/seed_nyjer.htm & here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guizotia_abyssinica
Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

On the Scottish wildlife forum they speak of a LOT of goldfinches there at the feeders. ' feeds; suet,peanutbutter,raisins 'seeds'and sultanas etc; from what I gather.
see info from forum 13th December. exerpt;<<
My first task was to feed the hordes of hungry birds waiting patiently for their breakfast.
More chaffinches than I could possibly count plus greenfinches, goldfinches, blue, great & coal tits galore! There were a few jays lurking in the trees, a couple of great-spotted woodpeckers feasting on the peanut feeder, as well as pheasants & mallards feeding off scraps on the ground.>>
link:
http://blogs.swt.org.uk/osprey/2010/12/ ... -december/
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

It is funny that the terms thistle and niger came to be confused -- probably because the finches in the wild love thistles -- but they love mints and all sorts of seeds.

Kitty I noticed the European Goldfinches looked different, what with the red on them.

Here are Lesser Goldfinches on my parents' feeder. In summer these seem so dull, but now they seem so bright and cheery.

And I think this feeder just has standard millet bird food, but notice that the hole for the seed is tiny -- well there may be a second hole just above the cup to catch the food.
Liis

Post by Liis »

The little mouse stored in a tree by a grey shrike - 2nd pic in the grey shrike story http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/8932 - looks almost like a miniature traditional Christmas pig's head with red apple in mouth (well, pig's heads nowadays only on museum Christmas tables; and in marzipan).

Do other birds too eat of the shrikes' stores - seeing that they are set up so openly?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Looks perfect for a jay or a magpie doesn't it?
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Liis wrote:The little mouse stored in a tree by a grey shrike - 2nd pic in the grey shrike story http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/8932 - looks almost like a miniature traditional Christmas pig's head with red apple in mouth (well, pig's heads nowadays only on museum Christmas tables; and in marzipan).
Liis,here the Traditional Butcher's shop-display will show a pigs-head complete with apple for festive seasons like now. Laid out all around will be the prepared meats and charcuteries the store has to offer. :mrgreen: and

" the destroying armadas that wild boar flocks actually can be ... But my blessings on their work on the by now innumerable golf course lawns"
The prefect here (Haut-Rhin,govt.rep.) would totally agree with you.This spring they played havoc in his 'beautiful' garden.!!!! :rant:.. :D
Emily Dickinson

Return to “Nature in Looduskalender”