62.Three White-tailed Eagles died of lead poisoning
Two birds died of lead poisoning shortly after they were found near the the villages of Bork and Freyenstein, state of Brandenburg, at the beginning of February. Two other poisoning cases are documented for September and December 2010. One of these birds is cachectic but still alive. The real number of poisoned eagles is probably higher as not all birds are found.
The scavenging Eagles get poisoned if they feed on carrion which contains particles of lead ammunition. This happens if animals, wounded by hunters, escape and die later somewhere in the fields. It happens also, especially in the winter, if hunters leave the guts of killed animals in the hunting grounds. As one result of the acute or cronically poisoning many birds are going blind and die of starvation. In Germany, it´s the most common cause of death in White-tailed Eagles.
According to “Märkische Allgemeine”, about one gram lead has been found in the stomach of one of the eagles which died recently. “This would have been enaugh to send ten eagles to kingdom come”, said the ornithologist Jürgen Kaatz.
Read more about the poisoned eagles and the current debate on lead ammunition at NABU Brandenburg (in German)http://brandenburg.nabu.de/artenschutz/vogelschutz/wissen/13471.htmlFind further information (in German): seeadlerforschung.de
Faltblatt: Bleivergiftungen von Greifvögeln
Auflistung der bleifreien Büchsengeschosse mit Bezugsquellen
Broschüre: Bleivergiftungen bei Seeadlern: Ursachen und Lösungsansätze – Anforderungen an bleifreie Büchsengeschosse
Artikel in Jagdzeitschriften
Order a video (DVD, 40 Minuten, Dokumentarfilm: Der bleifreie Schuss - Glückstreffer für den Seeadler - von Uta Greschner. 10 Euro)
GERMANIngestion of Lead from Spent Ammunition: Implications for Wildlife and Humans
Proceedings of the Conference: Ingestion of Lead from Spent Ammunition: Implications for Wildlife and Humans
Editors: Richard T. Watson, Mark Fuller, Mark Pokras and Grainger Hunt
White-tailed Eagles mentioned in:Lead Poisoning in White-tailed Sea Eagles: Causes and Approaches to Solutions in Germany
Oliver Krone, Norbert Kenntner, Anna Trinogga, Mirjam Nadjafzadeh, Friederike Scholz, Justine Sulawa, Katrin Totschek, Petra Schuck-Wersig, and Roland Zieschank (see URL below, table of contents and all articles)Order the book:http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/kvk_en.htmlOr read the online publication
(Copyright © 2009 The Peregrine Fund). Table of contents and all articles available. Click here: https://www.peregrinefund.org/lead_conf ... edings.htm
KW: Lead poisoning, wild birds, ammunition, hunters, waterfowl, hunting season, lead contamination, lead shot poisoningENGLIS HE NGLISH
ENGLIS HE NGLISH
Edit: Another lead poisoning case, Germany, March 2011
According to SVZ.de the White-tailed Eagle was exhausted and unable to fly when he was found near Groß Molzahn (Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania) at the end of February. The bird was brought to the veterinry hospital in Berlin, where it was diagnosed with lead poisoning. Because of this and an older bacteria infected wound the vet had to put the eagle down now.
Source: Schweriner Volkszeitung, SVZ.de, March 3rd/9th